River Wensum

I have fished the wensum for carp a couple of times but never caught. However, I saw 2 very large carp (20lb at least!) near to the railings at new mills yard just downstream of Halfords a few days ago. I have also seen some double figure sized commons at wensum park off oak street. THe water is getting quite clear now so if you have a good look round you might spot them.

Tactics wise I would suggest bait up the night before anf fish first light. I would fish overnight though as you'll want to avoid the riff-raff.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I am looking for some info fishing the wensum for carp around new mills and also I have access to a stretch of the yare at postwick too.

any info would be great pm if need be .

There are carp in the area, but fishing for them is difficult, (from my last memories) as the banks are so high with no riverside path access. You will have to get out there in a boat.

Postwick/Bramerton Woods End, again, carp in the area, but they move around a lot. I've seen them between the city stretches back of the Law Courts (Norwich itself on the Wensum), to down as far as Surlingham. That is a lot of water to cover. You will be pretty much having to find them yourself each time. The only easy help I can give is that spawning time, the fish would often go into Pike Square at Thorpe

In my time on the Wensum I have had some carp in the 20's and quite a few I honestly could not stop them the fish have some serious power have also had a lot of good tench some fun fishing to be had if you know where to go :wink:

You also have a PM :)

I'm liking the sound of that, i love river carp

• 2 weeks later...