help on rigs

pompeychav

getting ready for my first trip this weekend(cant wait)ive done me research on tackle but im still very wet behind the ears.let me tell you what i got in my magic box so far(probably not so magic ha ha)and tell me what you think. gardener supa combi rig and spit back rig size 8,esp raptor stiff rigger hooks size 6,owner hooks size 8 daiwa sensor line 8lbs(but been told to switch to 12lb)sufix stealth skin,esp hair braid,size 14 swivels.esp sonar marker floats(for feature finding)whats good and whats not.oh yeah and what sort of weights am i looking for please help me out i want to try avoid a blank;)

Guest Anonymous

i would tie a really simple knotless knot rig using the steathskin and the owner hooks, strip the coating off the stealth skin for about an inch below the hook. Buy some shrinktube and place it over the hook to keep the hair in place against the shank and bend it down from the eye to help with hooking. Tie this to size 8 swivels the 14s are to small. Try and but the new fox guide to carping or the korda rig book both will help you start to tie your own rigs.

Pic attached, simple Hair rig tied with 15lb Kryston Merlin. Size 8 swivel, Mustad hook ( pre-release sample) knotless knotted and hair formed from continuation of braid.

Incidentally this is actually one of my Bench Test rigs, not one I've used in actual fishing. Although I use the same rig, just not with the Hook shown, I have been using Carp-R-Us Nailers for my actual fishing. The hooks have now been released and there is a thread on Mustad Carp hooks

• 3 weeks later...

Jemsue and nick have got those rigs spot on imo, i use the same rigs for my fishing but use the nash fang x hook, although am going to try the nailers due to reports on there performance.

I am curently using the deception hookling material and kords iQ.

Jemsue and nick have got those rigs spot on imo, i use the same rigs for my fishing but use the nash fang x hook, although am going to try the nailers due to reports on there performance.

I am curently using the deception hookling material and kords iQ.

Is that the BFA Deception that was around or the new one Ian?

I did like the BFA version, then it got hard to get hold of.

I think I have had 1 maybe 2 hookpulls on the Nailers in 4years. The hookpull I think was down to me fishing too short a hair, as once I lengthened it I haven't lost a fish due to that since. They are spot on, very sharp and stay in.

Nick its the wychwood deception hooklink material im using at the moment i just tried it as i liked one of the colours it came in due to it matching the lakebed i fish, i used to use the sufix camo skin and still rate it now but the deception material is very durable and extremely supple if you like that in your rigs, i do as i tend to fish short rigs anyway. It strips back very well and im just pleased with the product.

I have just bought some size 8 and 10 nailers and am about to tie some rigs up now and yes they are sharp!!

Nick its the wychwood deception hooklink material im using at the moment i just tried it as i liked one of the colours it came in due to it matching the lakebed i fish, i used to use the sufix camo skin and still rate it now but the deception material is very durable and extremely supple if you like that in your rigs, i do as i tend to fish short rigs anyway. It strips back very well and im just pleased with the product.

I have just bought some size 8 and 10 nailers and am about to tie some rigs up now and yes they are sharp!!

Ian,

From the description you have given that sounds the same as the BFA Deception that was about a few(?) years ago. I've posted a pic of a Withy rig tied on it that I'm using on a water that has Crayfish in it. Unfortunately the colour doesn't show up very well, but I have noticed it doesn't show up in the water either.

Nailers, Yes they are Sharp. Now you know why I like them so much, and very strong for their size. If you think they are good, have a look at the Centurions, slightly stronger, but same sort of shape as Owner FLB's.

Cheers nick will look into those hooks for future use, i tried to put a pic of my last fish on this thread as i took it on the bottom bait rig you showed first, i use this rig for all my bottom bait fishing unless circumstances require a change while im there, but when that happens i think most people scratch there heads for a while!! lol:)

Cheers nick will look into those hooks for future use, i tried to put a pic of my last fish on this thread as i took it on the bottom bait rig you showed first, i use this rig for all my bottom bait fishing unless circumstances require a change while im there, but when that happens i think most people scratch there heads for a while!! lol:)

Thats what amazes me, why the Head scratching? Just by altering the Hair length or rig length then many problems can be overcome. No rig is going to work every time and hook every fish, but just by changing one of those things you create a NEW set of Circumstances for the Carp to deal with.

No Matter what though, No rig will work in the slightest if it isn't anywhere near a Carp, its LOCATION that is the error in most cases, not the Rig

Agree with you there on location mate completely, going on to reply to your head scratchin good comment, i fished raker last year and found i had some great runs that led to nothing on hitting the fish and also lost a couple early on, the lake bed at raker is soft clay thus the carp have soft mouths i shortened my hooklinks right down and bang 5 fish that day all nailed in the bottom lip, i guess its not so much head scratchin just that feeling you get when you prodcue a couple of blanks, although i try to look at them postively as in my opinion a blank should be a learning curve!!:)

I agree entirely. I look on any Blank as I got something wrong. Ok on a 167 acre water I can get location entirely wrong, but its down to me not thinking my way into fish.

You proved my point entirely, you had fish in front and were able to work out how to hook them, by Just shortening your rigs you have done something different.

Thats it mate we can often see fish in front of us and think it is only a matter of time but when your packin up and have blanked it may well be because you didnt try something else, i fish three rods so one rod always stays on a rig i have complete faith in but the other 2 will usually be over a fairly tight baited area and if the fish are there you need to change to provoke a response, if not you may as well go camping in your bivvy, often you may well produce one fish but if you had tried the changes you may well have had more success, there is no point leaving a hard session with "if only if" hanging over you, if it is if only if your thinking you may well have been a touch lazy imo.

I only think this now as my angling time is limited but i do mange to nip down and bait my spots, so when i get the chance to fish over them i want to feel assured i have done my bit.

Tight lines.:wink: