winter baits

dayday

I use a simple Knotless knot with the hair being formed into a loop that tightens down to the Bait. I then tie the bait on. Normally a longshank hook. I prefer to use braid for Pop-up presentation as it camouflages itself in with the bottom.

Just remember that if a pop-up looks blatant to you then the Carp may be more comfortable feeding on a bottom bait. If you are fishing over a bed of bait then a pop-up can actually cost you more Carp than it hooks.

I agree totally, its very rare I use pop ups these days I only use them if i feel I am using them for a reason. I would rather use a bottom bait for a single hook bait presentation if possible. If i am going to use a pop up generally I use a hinged stiff link made out of bristtle filament.

And I never use them over a bed of bait. if the carp are feeding on the bottom they will often shy away from a pop up like salokcinnodrog said

Basically, if you have had fish on the bait you are using and the rigs you are using in the summer months chances are you are not doing that much wrong. just stick at it mate you will get them just use less bait. In the winter I mostly use single hook baits, have a look on the site there are loads of good tips.. good luck

Strange that, I was using stringers and had to go the other way, to using PVA bags.

I wasn't comfortable with a stringer and a pop-up as I felt that the Pop-up and hook were being dragged into leaves on the bottom. I found that with a PVA bag the pop-up would rest more rather sitting in the bottom rubbish.