best braid for gravel

aliali

Hi im fishing a very clear lake with patches of gravel and some weed. Can anyone advise the best colour/type of braid for this enviroment as the fishing is quiet hard? Also, is is true that if you leave your hooklengths longer you will get away from catching smaller carp in a lake???

Many thanks

Michael

Longer hooklinks may enable the small fish to get away with it without hooking themselves... doesn't neccessarily single out bigger fish tho'. Sorry not used braid before, but Danny Fairbrass was a strong advocate of braid until he fished a lake like the one you're describing and he then moved over to Xline as its far more invisible and has a bit less stretch than most other monos, not many people on here rate the Xline tho'. I would try Krystonite if I was in that situation.

Oh, sorry mate I thought you were talking about mainline not hooklinks.

If you don't like flurocarbons like Korda IQ (I would use this as a preference, I think they do a more supple version of it now) then I would use something like Gardner Suffix Stealth Skin or Cammo Skin or Super Mantis Gold.

If your on nice flat gravel patches have you tried a stiff link i.e 7" long hook link made out of bristle filament using a D ring?. Or if you like braid try the 20lb version of Korda hybrib, I know people used to have trouble with the 15lb so use the 20lb. This has always worked for me in the past on clear gravel

best hook link for over gravil is without a doubt ESP sink link it sinks to the contors of the lake bed and sits tight to the deck(hence the name)i would use 2-4 inch hook links as the carp seem to get hooked easier than when using long hook links as the carp find it harder to eject the bait/hook link :)

morning lads and possibly lasses, just to let you know i fished birds green on Sunday using gold mantis on all 3 rods and caught two lovely carp one mirror at 12lbs 8oz a fat common at 19lb 7oz -pretty good for a coldish February session. Cheers for all the tips!!

Well done mate. Its a shame you havent got some pictures!