A12 lakes Cuton

theloner

Hi guys. I am looking for a new water this year. I have noticed a12 lakes at Cuton near chelmsford. I have been on website and talked to owner but i thought i would ask if anyone has anything to say about it! Average fish size, difficulty, how many 20's,30's, does it fish well in february? anything would be appreciated thanks

watcha mate fished there a few times doing 24hr sessions on the large specimen lake blanked everytime, though that could be down to me fishing completely wrong for the size of fish. I have only fished for average size fish on runs waters, so dont draw to many conclusions about the place from me. but saying that it is a lovely venue swims are clean and cater for single or double swims little cafe shack there and bait shop baliff always gave me hint everytime i went, would definately give it a go even though i blanked everytime i'd still go back as a challenge.

all the best if you do give it a go drop us a personal if ya fancy a little session there.

I've had two 24hr sessions on the specimen lake with kraftykarper this winter. We blanked, but I'm not too surprised given the freezing conditions.

We'll definitely be having another go in Spring. I like the look of the place and there are some cracking fish in there. It's not a runs water though.

as tryard has said , will definatley be going back as it aint too far for us too and as for the traffic noise to be honest it becomes background noise within minutes of being there .

it isnt an easy water but it is safe and theres plenty of room .

i reckon once the water has subsided after the floods and it has warmed up a bit i might be in for a PB :lol:

i was a regular over a12 lakes and the best lake to fish is the middle of the 3 i had 39 fish in 1 24hr session smallest 8lb common , biggest was 16lb mirror and i had a 10lb 02oz tench while i was there aswell ..

fish a 12mm halibut pellet with bit of corn on the hair aswell and just ask neil the owner if you have any problems hes a nice bloke and dont mind sharing his tactics if he has had good results with something else .

hope this helps mate

i was a regular over a12 lakes and the best lake to fish is the middle of the 3 i had 39 fish in 1 24hr session smallest 8lb common , biggest was 16lb mirror and i had a 10lb 02oz tench while i was there aswell ..

And who says fish don't feed in the winter...especially tench! Monster!

Thanks guys. a double figure tench is quite an acheivement. I'm impressed. I think i'll stick on the harder lake though. I'm not worried about runs waters. i prefer to stick it out for a biggun rather than catch several doubles. Especially if its a looker and by all accounts that lake has some lookers!! Anyone fished that lake that has actually caught something?!!??!!?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've fished there fairly heavily this season and it's true that Specimen 1 is a tough lake. Specimen 2 is a bit too easy for my style, but in the right conditions producing a lot of runs at an average of about 11 - 12lb.

In Spec 1 the carp are said to go to 40lb and a few 30s, though they are rarely out. This is quite a hard lake, heavily pressured with a lot of bait going in. There's plenty of gravel (so much so it makes little difference) but otherwise few features. Most fish I have had have come from marginal reeds, though only a couple of swims can hit these easily.

Average size is not as high as you might be led to believe - the last week, for example, has turned up a 26lb I believe but also mainly low 20s and teens. Great guys in the shop, well-looked after place and safe, allows 3 rods (if you're not a numpty) and bait boats (ditto), plus you can drive to the swim to drop off gear. Keeps me going back, but it can also be a very frustrating venue.

If you want to do a night, book early - weekends get very busy.

There are big bream in Spec 1 as well - apparently going 14lb.

Fishes best (according to owner) in November time. By Feb everyone will be covering it with pike floats, no doubt.

Tight lines

Ginman :shock:

walked around the venue today! very nice, and not too busy, 1 person on the biggest lake and about 4 on the middle lake.

thinking of doing a 36 hour session there next week with a friend.

speaking to the owner? i believe, very friendly. Apparently there having it on the CELL in the bigger lake at the moment.

good job im about to order 10kg of it:D haha

but reading from posts above, alot of people are blanking, is it worth going for 36 hours? ive heard most people blank of there first go.. But it be a challenge in guessing :D

36 hours might help - they do seem quite 'moody' there and some days seem to go on a sulk and nobody catches. 36 hours at least gives you a chance to work through any sulking they do!

If you're there for that length of time, it might be worth thinking about a heavy baiting approach. I was told that two guys fished the far corner swim, road side bank and put out nearly 20kg of boilies over 4 nights. Apparently they had 20+ fish from this tactic. Risky but clearly good for them. Again, that swim is good for the reed margins where I've had most fish.

On the flip side, Neil the owner has caught 30s and a 40, and he always fishes nights only with a dumbell bait and small stringer - nothing else - and a leadcore leader. Starting after dark means he doesn't bother with feature-finding much and doesn't believe it really matters here. I think he also said he uses quite a long hair.

If you get a chance to choose (sometimes the booking system means you get little swim choice, but you can ask) then I'd advise either of the far corners. If you have a baitboat, all the better (not so much for large bait drops but for precision a rod length out from the reeds, or under the bushes). There's a large willow about halfway between the two corner swims (and sometimes the source of some tension as both swims try to hit it...) that has a deeper hole in front of it. It's a beast of a chuck (take the 3.5 TC) and forget bags, but maybe a 3oz and a stringer. Of course no problems with a baitboat.

Hope that helps - let me know how you get on! I'm keen to suss this lake - it's annoying me that I;m finding my catches there so random.

Ginman :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

i did a 36 hour session on the specimen two lake on thursday through to friday night on the "Beach Swim".

Unfortunately i blanked.

But to be honest with you, i was speaking to all the other anglers and no one had any fish out, one bloke had been there for 3 days prio to me and had none!

Not sure why, there was plenty of activity, fizzing, bubbling etc and even fairly large fish showing them selves by splashing/rolling on top of the water.

Nether the less, i will be back hopefully in the next few weeks:) if any one else has gone/is going, let me know how you get on:)

Regards

Tom

• 1 month later...

i had a 36 hour sesion over at the a12 about 6 weeks ago and i didnt do to bad i suppose 5 carp over 12lb all on the first night , i spoke to neil the owner and he suggested the dumbell freezer baits he had in the shop but didnt catch anything on them on the first day so i changed to scopex sqiud liver plus boillies wiith a piece of corn on the end and that worked almost instantly. going again on saterday moring for another 36 hour session , lets just hope it works again.........................

Well done pjay - was that on the larger lake?

Neil (owner) knows he needs to increase the stock in the main specimen lake, and plans to do that by moving some fish on from the runs lake ("specimen 2"). Longer term he has plans to make the match lake a runs water, then turn the middle lake into a more challenging carp water. He intends to dig another match lake, I believe, behind the current large lake.

My last trip turned up a 10lb bream during the morning; biggest snot I've ever seen so some fun in itself, on a 10mm amber strawberry dumbell with a fluoro corn stop.

Sunday nights always seem to score well here - obviously as pressure drops off.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Ginman. :shock:

fished the a12 lake last weekend and didnt have much joy really , had a couple of runs on saturday but lost them both and then me mate went down the bait shop and i had a 8lb 10oz bream on his rod (he wasent happy lol) and then sunday morning i had a 10lb 2oz bream a pb for me:). and then the wind picked up and snapeed my umberella and then [censored]ed down so we packed up earlly , still fancy another session down there before xmas though........... pj

I did a day session last sunday on the specimen lake, and yet again didn't catch or see anyone else catch for that matter. Madly heavy rain probably didnt help, but I am beginning to wonder about this place. I've decided to switch to somewhere different for the winter, as this place is hard enough in the good weather, let alone the frosts.

Spoke to another loyal A12 carper on Sunday as he was leaving the main lake - he says on some days he's done well, on others nothing. Like any lake, then....but a guy who'd been there 3 days had blanked, and his mate...and the other guys on the lake....ho hum.

I'll be back, maybe, in Spring.

Tight lines PJ

:shock:

• 2 years later...

When i fished it we used the cell.... that was getting pumped in but no good for us. i think there was 1 fish out in 5 days!!

Far side near the telephone pilon and along those reeds seems a nice spot, i think there is a little drop off about a rod length out half way down, but check it with the marker.

Not sure about any other spots as only fished it once in one swim.

Good luck!

Fished A12 over the bank holiday weekend , 48 hours produced 12 fish , biggest was 18lb 10oz . fished the point swim using A12s own freezer baits 18mm . aim for the telegraph pole at about 30 yards is a gravel patch that produced all the fish . found boilie only approach works but they do like a few freebies !! good luck .

• 1 year later...