winter hair

carp_mad_man

hi all i have heard from me dads mate that use a a hair 1 an a half times or even a 3rd times bigger than your favourate but then in the angling news paper it says keep the hair as close to the hook as possable but i have it half a inch off the bend.

when i go fishing again i will try all three same bait and same rig what are your oppinuins? thanx sam

I use many lengths from 2 inch to 2mm More thought is required before you use any given length. I have had my fish fish on mainly very short hairs this year, probably because even the clear spots have a light covering of weed on them. Maybe they help stop the hook fouling on the weed where a longer one could do....... :wink: Just have a think about it, over gravel you can try them all and be able to make some kind of judgement on the effectiveness of that particular length on that particular water at that particular time. In weed and you may get more pick ups but be hampered in other ways so results would not be conclusive.

I would say dont get bogged down in using 1 style.

• 3 weeks later...