Use of cat food.

bucktaylor

Freelining it or under a float with it fished hard on the bottom, lift style in the margins would be my best bet. (Listen..... you can hear all the instant carp anglers whisper..... "Whats lift style mean"?) :lol::wink:

After all, its not going to stand any cast at all cos its too soft.

Speaking of brands of cat food, i know that Coshida was really rated in the past and definately one to look out for :wink:

Hi, sorry for previous post, just couldn't resist! :)

I tried some nice meaty chunks of dog food last weekend as an alternative bait and found it didn't stay on very long due to lots of small fish getting stuck in, got all my fish on luncheon meat. Boillies are banned from the lake I fish so it presents a nice challenge, gonna try some pepparami this week alongside the meat.

Could some nice cheap supermarket brand cat food make a good bed to fish over :?:

Could some nice cheap supermarket brand cat food make a good bed to fish over :?:

TBH mate i cant see why boilies are banned on so many venues when luncheon meat (or any meat for that matter) is allowed. After a time in the water, boilies break down. Due to the high fat content in meat, that doesnt break down at all and if left uneaten, just rots and goes rancid.

The amount of arguments ive had trying to get that across on my old club forum is unbelievable. It just seems these Micky Mouse clubs have got it into their heads that if boilies are allowed, then the other fish stocks will be near on impossible to catch cos you will have to use nothing but boilies to catch them :roll:

Yeah I'm gonna try a paste soon and see how it goes. i've been getting success on the luncheon meat though and just bought some hemp oil to soak into the meat.

With regards to the boilie situation I'm definately gonna bring it up this weekend and find out exactly why they're banned, I just can't think of a good reason why but at least I've got some fodder for the debate now!

• 1 month later...
  • 12 years later...
  • 3 months later...
19 hours ago, SeaSalt said:

What boilie was it then?

Got a link?

I would take that with a pinch of salt anyway because he has an interest in promoting DIY bait and sl*gging readymades (if indeed that is what he meant/said and what went on at all) - his stuff is very good though, do not get me wrong

Maybe it was ages ago anyway - as in before boilie making technology vastly evolved and improved

Kevin Maddocks mentions it in Carp Fever although not the flavour. 

13 minutes ago, SeaSalt said:

I would like to see evidence and still think this is a plug by John Baker to sla*g the readymade industry *(if indeed its even true)* -

basically its the usual sewing circle cr*p you get in carp fishing unless proven otherwise - speak up Carpbell-II - back it up properly

Besides I doubt Purina would license their product out in ''monster'' quantities at a fair price -most bait companies mill their own ingredients to save money and in house QC

In short this is a big pile of soggy old three week tour at various Summer festivals, forgot to bring any spares,

pants

I've seen or heard him say that too, might have been on a podcast or one of John bakers YouTube vids, can't remember what now but he doesn't seem a bad guy tbh not sure why he would lie about it though, from what I can tell he seems a genuine guy and very knowledgeable 

1 hour ago, SeaSalt said:

Anyway If it was back in the day its probably Hutchy Monster Crab or Richworth Crab & Mussell

A lot of the Richworth baits were very simple and mostly about lots of icing sugar apparently, lol I dunno if I read that on here

Besides there is nothing wrong with a bait being simple as long as it works and does the fish no harm at all and some good.. I think the whole HP, HNV thing is overrated - on some lakes they are definitely not short of food and are not bothered by rich baits and prefer good attractor baits - some of the old shelf lifes were very dodgy indeed so the bait industry does have very bad form on its hands from the not too distant past and there is still some shocking rubbish around - I still don't touch shelf life, I don't care how advanced they are now. I use fresh or thawed bait only

Here we go again!

A good food source bait will outfish a lower quality bait, and in both shelf life and freezer forms. Fred Wilton worked out that a decent bait prebaited and fished well will produce more fish than a rubbish bait. Look up the history of Darenth and the Kent waters

Shelf life's now are a very different bait from 25years ago, improvements in preservation, the preservatives used or no longer used are very different. Some freezer baits are identical to the shelf life bait in the same form, only the preservation is different.

I know Crafty Catcher use a glycerine sugar syrup process to preserve the shelf life. King Prawn is the same bait in both forms.

Shelf life food baits can be more instantly attractive than the freezer version, the glycerine syrup is providing the attraction, where freezer baits can become more attractive on day 3 or 4 as the sugars, salts and enzymes come to the fore through a process known as efflorescence. (Also happens to food's and concrete)

You are mixing up the baiting situation on various lakes. If you fish over groundbait and/or particles with a rubbish bait, you may get takes as the fish clean up everything. However, if you fish with just boilies then the carp often have a preference for a decent bait. Added to that you may use a high attract bait in limited quantities to try to provoke a take.

I go back to it, but I fished a week winter session where day 1 and 2 takes came to the high attract pop-up, from day 3 the only takes came to the food source bait, despite fishing the high attract baits all the way through.

The number of times and lakes I have seen decent food source baits outcatch a rubbish bait!

Sugar, a very interesting ingredient, works differently in different forms. Normal granulated sugar, exactly the same product as icing sugar, yet not as attractive an ingredient as icing sugar, a different reaction totally.