"Well not far off "

bigsteve

I remember asking this question on another forum and got shot down with" it doen't matter about size" and "why are people hung up on biggest fish" Well I know size doen't matter. . . :lol: easy peeps ..... :lol:

But my question to all is "how close have you got to a british course fishing record ?", wether it be carp, roach, perch or even gudgeon.

I found this list of records....and before anyone says , I know some of these have been broken but it's just to give an example.

Barbel - 19lb 0oz

Chub - 8lb 10oz

Dace - 1lb 4oz 4drm

Eel - 11lb 2oz

Golden Orfe - 8lb 5oz 4drm

Roach - 4lb 3oz

Rudd - 4lb 8oz

Perch - 5lb 9oz

Pike - 46lb 13oz

Tench - 14lb 7oz

Common Bream - 18lbs 8oz

Silver Bream - 15lb 0oz

Carp - 59lbs 7oz

Grass Carp - 36lbs 8oz

Crucian Carp - 4lbs 8oz

Zander - 19lbs 5oz 8drm

Catfish - 62lb 0oz[/i][/b]

I've had just over 70% of the Tench record, 9lb 10oz, although I wasn't fishing for Tench exclusively so I don't count it as a PB :wink:

why dont you count it as a pb :? If you were fishing for Tench by design or not, surely a pb is a pb. Also if you did manage to break the record would you not claim it? In that line of thinking we should have 2 record lists; 1 by intent and 1 by accident :?

i agree a targeted species/fish is more forefilling than an accidental catch but when lady luck shines grasp it with both hands.

If you went to a lake you thought only contained carp to say 6lb and set up lighter gear to fish but managed to hook and land the 30lb unknown, would you still not claim it as a pb?

Guest Anonymous
I've had just over 70% of the Tench record, 9lb 10oz, although I wasn't fishing for Tench exclusively so I don't count it as a PB :wink:

thats stupid if its bigger than others you have caught then its a new pb :roll:

Iv been very close to a record before (Dace) biggest Dace is 1lb 2oz from the brook outside mine :D:D if it wasnt for the fact that i was catching fish for pikeing, i wouldnt have had my scales with me and would of never knew the true weight, it didnt get used as bait by the way :roll::lol::lol::lol:

Next closest is the Bream at 14lb 1oz :wink::wink:

thats stupid if its bigger than others you have caught then its a new pb :roll:

But it's whether I see it as a new PB, which if I wasn't fishing for the species, I wouldn't.

So if you were targeting Tench and a big Carp, say 40lb took your bait, you played the fish and landed it. You saying you wouldn't count the fish as a PB?

You never know what species of fish is going to take the bait.

Have caught some cracking Dace that are close to the Record and just enjoy every fish, from the smallest to the largest, Dace 1lb 1oz on Maggots.

East Anglia has some excellent Dace Rivers.

My largest Bream was caught while Carp Fishing, but its still my PB. My Tench PB of over 9lb I was fishing for though. As for the Crucian Record I'm about a pound behind the record.

Must admit I think if a fish is a PB its a PB whether you are targetting it or not.

So if you were targeting Tench and a big Carp, say 40lb took your bait, you played the fish and landed it. You saying you wouldn't count the fish as a PB?

You never know what species of fish is going to take the bait.

I see it differently the other way, IMO because you'll be playing the larger Carp on light tackle intended for the Tench, but if you go the other way you'll be bringing in the Tench, Bream or Whatever on Carp tackle.

Therefore I would count the fish. I guess it's all about opinions, and morals, and it's just my opinion. Don't take this the wrong way, I still care for and respect the fish, I've seen 2lb Roach thrown back in the water by Carp anglers :evil:

The only one i have come close to is the dace record. on two occasions i have have caught dace at 1lb from the river Wensum near Fakenham. the stretch between there and Bintree produces some cracking dace and also some stunning Roach which i have had several to 2 1/2lb

Sorry but that record list above is well out of date several have been exceeded.

I found this list of records....and before anyone says , I know some of these have been broken but it's just to give an example.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D[/b]

I think you have a typo with the silver bream record, it is only 2lbs 2oz not 15lbs.

But getting back to the post, quite rightly so, you don't know what you are going to catch, and anything you do catch, whether you are fishing for it or not should be a PB.

I know if you catch a large Rudd or Roach whilst on Carp Tackle 3 1/2 + test curve rods ain't going to feel the same, but you have still caught it and put it on the bank. Same as catching a huge carp on a pole but you certainly would want to boast about that one.

I think you have a typo with the silver bream record, it is only 2lbs 2oz not 15lbs.

But getting back to the post, quite rightly so, you don't know what you are going to catch, and anything you do catch, whether you are fishing for it or not should be a PB.

I know if you catch a large Rudd or Roach whilst on Carp Tackle 3 1/2 + test curve rods ain't going to feel the same, but you have still caught it and put it on the bank. Same as catching a huge carp on a pole but you certainly would want to boast about that one.

It's just personal opinion mate, IMO I wouldn't claim it if I had a massive roach on Carp gear, 'coz you'll be getting no fight from it and just dragging it in, but a large carp on light gear will give you the fight of your life, so I'd claim that. In short, it gets complicated but I just go on what I think TBH

End of the day, thats just my opinion and I'm sure others disagree, but that's just what I do :D