Helicopter rig hook bait

chris427

I'm pretty new to carp fishing and i was told that a helicopter rig is only used for a pop up bait not bottom bait and to use an in line set up.

I have seen plenty of people at my local lake using a helicopter rig with bottom baits not pop ups so i'm a bit confused.

Any help?

I only use helicopter setups if A) I want to fish at maximum range or B) if I want to use leadcore.

I dont particularly like the way it works, but it's the most efficient rig for casting IMO, and the only safe(ish) rig to use wth leadcore. And before anyone mentions the chod, thats just a variation of the helicopter anyway.

But yea, you can use pop-ups or bottom baits with it, just tailor your hooklink to suit the bait you want to use.

Went on a short session today and tried a bolt rig set up on my local and got on really well using a short hook length with 12 mm pellets so i'll stick with this set up for a while. Seems great for margin work under trees etc. and with a 3ox lead it seems to really drive the hook home and I had no lost fish today so all good.

I started with one on helicopter and one on bolt rig and had a few on the bolt rig with straight takes and runs and the helicopter rig I had a few runs and then they stopped so switched the other rod over to bolt rig and they hooked straight away so stayed with it. I was using a 3 oz lead to swivel on the saftey clip so if it got snagged it ejected it and the fish would be safe.

I hate to destroy your illusions, but the Helicopter rig is a form of Bolt Rig :wink:

Have a read of this:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26640

As to what bait you use on a helicopter rig, then the main reason for the helicopter has recently become so that "we" can present the Frank Warwick Short Pop-up rig. The fact is that Helicopter rigs are able to be used with any bait, pop-up or not. Best used ofr absolute distance as they are best cast hard to reduce tangles and short distances seems to create tangles when the Helicopter set-up is "lobbed"