Best way to disinfect / 'mould' on a fish

nigewoodcock

I went out on Tuesday night for a couple of hours on a local club lake. I had two nice little commons and a small mirror of around 4lb.

The mirror had what looked like a bit of mould on its back between the dorsal and tail. It was around the size of a 50p piece. There was another spot of about the same size on the fishes flank. This area of ‘mould’ looked to be in a spot where a scale had come away.

Could anyone tell me what this could be? I have informed the club but unfortunately did not have a camera to take a picture or indeed my phone to call the bailiff to come out to have a look. I suppose it could be a harmless growth but I have not seen this before on any fish I have caught.

Obviously the fish had been in my net. I am due to go out for the weekend to another water. So in relation to the thread title, I am looking for the safest way and products to use to disinfect my gear, as I would rather be safe. I hose down and dry out my net, mat and sling after each session but after seeing the fish I caught I just want to be double sure that I am doing all I can to prevent the spread of any disease.

I have looked through the following thread but, as I don’t ‘know’ any of the members that have commented I don’t know if the views can be trusted or not.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10450&highlight=disinfect+net

You could use a solution of Dettol and rinse the net is there, thats what alot of fishkeepers do....But, the best way in my opinion is to ensure that everything is completely dried out after your session which you do anyway. 8)

Nets are easy to dry, but I find my unhooking mat is a pain in the butt becuase water gets trapped under the kneeling mat and no matter how many times it's turned over, it always seems to retain moisture for a few days. Takes at least 2 days for it to dry out completely :twisted:

Dont be too hasty to treat things that your not sure about - if a fish is strong and healthy it will recover - unless you know about fish diseases and treatments you could do more harm than good.

I say this because healing skin also looks a bit mould like i.e. white with a furryish look. This is a good thing as its healing well so dont rub it off or treat it.

When keeping carp and koi its sometimes little things like mould that are a secondary infection to something much more serious - treating the minor stuff isnt going to do any good unless you find the root problem. If your fish seemed generally good I'd think that the mould is just a minor issue with no major underlying illness - so it should be ok.

If your in doubt look up koi diseases the symptoms all will be displayed in pictures.

As for your net all you have to do is leave it out to dry thoroughly ideally in the sun.

The fish sounded like nothing to worry about TBH mate. Its the things you cant see that are worse.

Dont be too hasty to treat things that your not sure about - if a fish is strong and healthy it will recover - unless you know about fish diseases and treatments you could do more harm than good.

I say this because healing skin also looks a bit mould like i.e. white with a furryish look. This is a good thing as its healing well so dont rub it off or treat it with the wrong stuff.

If your in doubt look up koi diseases the symptoms will all be displayed in pictures.

As for your net all you have to do is leave it out to dry thoroughly ideally in the sun.

The fish sounded like nothing to worry about TBH mate. Its the things you cant see that are worse.

Cheers lads. The first thing I did when I got home was to have a read through the forum and did a few searches on fish diseases etc.

All I did with the fish was put a touch of Klinik on the two areas. I suppose I am just a bit paranoid. :oops: I would rather be over cautious than under though.

The Manager of Mid Kent Fisheries is always the first to say sunlight, and dry your nets out till their bone dry. I would take his word for it as he is a quality guy who knows what he is talking about. A lot has been made of it lately as well because there is a fishery near Mid Kent waters that has had that fish virus, can't remember the name. Hope it helps!

Salt or Dettol (or even a mix of both) is a good way to disinfect your nets and mats, one of the first things most Carp/Koi keepers will tell you is to treat a fish with a mild salt water solution, with it being tackle though you can use a strong solution and let it soak over night, then rinse well and leave to dry in direct sunlight :wink:

Salt or Dettol (or even a mix of both) is a good way to disinfect your nets and mats, one of the first things most Carp/Koi keepers will tell you is to treat a fish with a mild salt water solution, with it being tackle though you can use a strong solution and let it soak over night, then rinse well and leave to dry in direct sunlight :wink:

Sorry to have to disagree with yoy as you are trying to help.

However salt has absalutely no impact on most fish pathogens.

I have kept koi for a lot of years and years ago people advocted useing salt for all sorts,those in the know new better.

Nowdays the majoraty of well informed koi keepers realise salt is srious bad news for koi,and the only time it should ever be used is in cases where fish have ulcers and osmotic inbalance,the salt will help the balance untill the koi heals.

As a disenfectant it is hopeless.

On your fishing gear any propriotory disenfectant can be used to good effect with most pathogens,but the best is sunlight :wink:

I wash all my gear in Vircon S a disenectant that kills all pathogens of fish,birds mammals etc etc,yet I still dry my gear in uv light to make sure.

Sorry to have to disagree with yoy as you are trying to help.

However salt has absalutely no impact on most fish pathogens.

I have kept koi for a lot of years and years ago people advocted useing salt for all sorts,those in the know new better.

Nowdays the majoraty of well informed koi keepers realise salt is seriously bad news for koi,and the only time it should ever be used is in cases where fish have ulcers and osmotic inbalance,the salt will help the balance untill the koi heals.

SALT as a Medication

Salt is probably one of the best forms of pond and water treatment available and at a very minimal cost ... and salt added to any pond or tank at the rate of 1/2 ounce to the gallon is extremely beneficial ... but please seek advice from your Koi Dealer before increasing the dosage rate for whatever reason you may think...

A salt bath is often the cure for many minor problems, like gill infections, raised scales caused by a bacterial infection, ulcers on the body etc .. .and a salt bath cannot do any harm to the Koi providing you don't go over the top with the salt levels ... and depending on the severity of the problem we suggest a salt bath with a level of between 1.5 ounces per gallon to 2.5 ounces per gallon .. but as salt can act as an anesthetic after a period of time, then I suggest that you do not place the Koi into the bowl and walk away - otherwise you may return to find it is too late to recover the Koi ..

BUT if you are using Salt as a Medication Bath then you MUST ensure that there is plenty of air supply in the water - using at least a single 2" air stone - oxygen is extremely important as salt in the water, especially at the higher levels, depletes the oxygen levels very rapidly.

Also NEVER use salt in the water if you have any 'Formalin' present in that water, which you may have been using for other treatments .. many times you may get away with this - but salt reacts with the Formalin and causes stress related problems to the Koi under treatment .. if you are unsure that please contact us for further advise before you use these salt baths or decide to run your system even with the low salt level of 1/2" ounce per gallon ..

Many customers and Koi enthusiasts we know maintain their ponds and tanks constantly at this salt level throughout the year .. others only at certain times of the year. But there is little doubt that a level of salt of 1/2 ounce per gallon is beneficial, and let me stress that Salt will not hurt the Koi at all ... A salt level within the system keeps the gills free from congestion problems which of course is one of the possibly causes of a secondary infection... so I am personally a big advocate for using salt ...

One of the best know treatments for Koi that have been transported for long periods of time, say from a Japan etc .. or from a dealer who may be quite away from you ... and one that we certainly always used upon the arrival of any new stocks from Japan, was to use ELBAGIN AND SALT .. the Elbagin calms the fish down and helps them get over the stress of the journey whilst the salt helps clear congestion from the gills etc .....

Not sure where you dug that one out from I likewise could find stacks of stuff on the merrits of salt.

However I can also find the up to date stuff that quite clearly states how toxic salt is to koi/carp,1ppm is enough to start the stunting proccess :wink: .

Also one of the worst things in carp are the fungus infections they get and contary to what some people beleave,salt makes it worse.

One of the leading Koi experts in the UK is www.richdon-koi.com.

Get in touch see what the experts say,or visit there furom www.richdon-koi.com/koihelp/forum.

they might think it strange you asking about something that is now well documented,but im sure he will tell you the same as me,salt does not kill most pathogens of fish,and is toxic for them.

Although carp can and do survive in mild saline situations,they do not thrive.

I stick by what I said Salt does no goiod at all as a disenfectant.

On the think about salt, i have treated my koi with salt in the past. Once being directed to dip the fish in heavily salted water for a fungle infection on the tail. It worked at the time however the following winter the fish became infected again.

As a disinfectant yes i would have to agree there are better things out there but the easiest is uv /sun light. Im not sure that dipping the net in salt water would be enough to kill the pathogens and paracites however may aid the drying process.

Like Frank says about ulcer treatment the salt does have a benefit there. just like a human having ulcers a saline mix washed around the mouth aids the healing process.

We had an outbreak in the spring on the pond where lots of fish were getting growths and we treated the pond with a liquid, cant think of the name but it was blue and was told to turn off the uv light in the pump and this cured the fish and had no repocussions since.

On the think about salt, i have treated my koi with salt in the past. Once being directed to dip the fish in heavily salted water for a fungle infection on the tail. It worked at the time however the following winter the fish became infected again.

As a disinfectant yes i would have to agree there are better things out there but the easiest is uv /sun light. Im not sure that dipping the net in salt water would be enough to kill the pathogens and paracites however may aid the drying process.

Like Frank says about ulcer treatment the salt does have a benefit there. just like a human having ulcers a saline mix washed around the mouth aids the healing process.

We had an outbreak in the spring on the pond where lots of fish were getting growths and we treated the pond with a liquid, cant think of the name but it was blue and was told to turn off the uv light in the pump and this cured the fish and had no repocussions since.

:wink: Methelyne blue or more commonly malachite are used.

Is feeding the fish with that Koi Doctor food in early spring/winter? a good way of preventing spring syndrome before hand?

Surely better than using them damn treatments - I hate having to drain and re-start filters - fish keeping is bloody hard work if the ponds not ideally sited and equipped to begin with (a loosing battle) :cry:

Melafix??

Melafix is a propriotory mix of herbal oils in an aquious solution,which helps heal wound on fish.

It is a weeker salution than Sabactisun :wink:

Don't know if this is any use?

http://www.koi-fish.co.uk/acatalog/koi_care.html

I have been known to carry a bottle of Io-Sal (mentioned in the past or at:

Io-Sal

http://www.aqua-topia.co.uk/subcat913.html[/url]"]IO-SAL is a very effective treatment for ulcers, wounds, raised scales, damaged fins & infected areas on fish. IO-SAL is applied directly to the infected area, simply remove any dead tissue and apply liberally. IO-SAL will kill all bacteria on contact and help the fish naturally seal it's own wound, resulting in safer and quicker healing.
for wound treatment, as well as the Klinik or Orabase for hookmarks