Losing the lead!?

jsonderlo

I am going to be fishing a pool for the first time this year. It is very weedy.

Can any one help with a suggestion for a rig?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a system that loses the lead when a fish takes or when you apply pressure to stop it tangleing in the weed. Also that doesn't cost a fortune everytime you catch a fish.

I have done a search but can not find anything that answers my question.

That's some balancing act your looking for there.

Think you need to look at from the direction that if you do get snagged whilst playing a fish would you want it to be stuck dragging a lump of lead around if and when it frees itself

Personally I think that losing a few quid is better than the fish it's life

Not really

Either you lose the lead or you don't, don't really see a way round it. Obviously safety clips can be changed by cutting down the tails or abused by putting the tail on too far.

Going to butt out here cos I can't really see an answer to your question, it's pretty black and white to me, but someone else my have a different view on it

I think I should split my question into two.

Whats the best type of rig to use in weedy water? I'm assuming by the respone a good quality safety bolt rig?

Does any one know of a rig or system that loses the lead as the fish runs with your bait? Eliminating the lead bouncing around on your line picking up weed as you play in the fish, reducing the risk of losing the fish or harming it.

What about the possibility of fishing Inline Leads.

They don't seem to pick or snag up with so much weed, it often slides straight down and past or onto the hook :wink:

May be something on here that is useful as well:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26640

They don't seem to pick or snag up with so much weed, it often slides straight down and past or onto the hook :wink:

Do what?! Slide down onto the hook?!!! :lol: U gotta be jokin right!?!? If my lead was sliding onto the hook I'd be very very worried. Inline sit above a swivel, so how do they slide down onto the hook?

Inlines are a no no when fishing in weed in my opinion. they'll snag on weed just like any other setup. Your best bet in my humble opinion, is to use lead clips, (I use the Armaled clips and rubbers aswell) and just push the rubbe on lightly, half a cm is enough to stop the lead ejecting on the cast, but still throw the lead very easily.

If you're fishing into weed, put the whole rig into a PVA bag, not only does it give you some freebies around ur bait, it guarentees your rig is sat nicely on the bottom and not hooked up on some weed and also means you can set the tail rubber light without fear of losing the lead on the cast when goin for the biggun.

Do what?! Slide down onto the hook?!!! :lol: U gotta be jokin right!?!? If my lead was sliding onto the hook I'd be very very worried. Inline sit above a swivel, so how do they slide down onto the hook?

I think he means that the weed slides down, not the weight :wink:

Inlines are a no no when fishing in weed in my opinion. they'll snag on weed just like any other setup. Your best bet in my humble opinion, is to use lead clips, (I use the Armaled clips and rubbers aswell) and just push the rubbe on lightly, half a cm is enough to stop the lead ejecting on the cast, but still throw the lead very easily.

If you're fishing into weed, put the whole rig into a PVA bag, not only does it give you some freebies around ur bait, it guarentees your rig is sat nicely on the bottom and not hooked up on some weed and also means you can set the tail rubber light without fear of losing the lead on the cast when goin for the biggun.

The weed slides down past the lead, and either onto the hook (as it does with a Lead clip set-up), or off the end tackle anyway.

Must admit I have fished into some serious weed and can't remember the last time had an Inline snag up.

Also I don't always want the whole lot in a PVA bag sat on the bottom. I want my bait where the fish feed, so I may be using a Pop-up off the bottom, No use for a PVA Bag.

Theer was a definite PUBLISHED problem with Lead clips releasing the Lead on contact with the water when they were inside the PVA Bag.

The Bag slows down the rig, but the Lead doesn't slow, so the Lead clips were ejecting the lead on hitting the water.[/i]

lol, Stoogi put me right on what you were sayin about the WEED sliding down the line, my bad, must be the beer! lol

Never had a problem with the lead ejecting when in a bag. Maybe it happens when people go to the extreme and put the tail rubber on too loose?

We're fishing after all is said and done. We want to catch fish, not feed them, so as long as the rig is safe, give the fish something to deal with, dont make it easy by dropping the lead at the first sign of movement.

If you lose lead sin bags I'd suggest you're playing too safe, or have naff clips! You could just tie it up with PVA string anyway, no big deal.

I'd feel way happier using a clip than an inline in weed. Used both methods on a session on a mega weedy water last year, inline snagged up, lead clips didnt. Enough for me to make my mind up!

lol, Stoogi put me right on what you were sayin about the WEED sliding down the line, my bad, must be the beer! lol

Never had a problem with the lead ejecting when in a bag. Maybe it happens when people go to the extreme and put the tail rubber on too loose?

We're fishing after all is said and done. We want to catch fish, not feed them, so as long as the rig is safe, give the fish something to deal with, dont make it easy by dropping the lead at the first sign of movement.

If you lose lead sin bags I'd suggest you're playing too safe, or have naff clips! You could just tie it up with PVA string anyway, no big deal.

I'd feel way happier using a clip than an inline in weed. Used both methods on a session on a mega weedy water last year, inline snagged up, lead clips didnt. Enough for me to make my mind up!

That's fair enough, but the shape of the Inline can make a difference.

That's about the only place where I think that Korda make the best Leads, in their original Inlines. The taper allows the weed to slide down better than other shapes.

Like Nick says I also tie the Lead on if I use a Running Lead, or if I'm feeling lazy "the Paper clip"