trench pool

Thread moved into UK Where to Fish.

There is a bit about Trench on the forum if you use the search but what is known is kept very quiet.

If you look up the older threads then it may be worth having a quiet word and see if anyone will give you any information via PM, or you may have to buy a few drinks and get known socially

Fished Trench quite a lot a couple of yrs ago.Very hard water and the swims are treacherous especially in the damp and wet.I believe you need to be a member of TAA to fish it.Very very weedy.Loads of bird life present so the chances are they will go down on your bait.Dog walkers aren't too fussy where their dogs leave deposite :evil:

As I say it's a very hard water.

Its a mega hard water and not for the feint hearted or the beginner. A couple of winters ago me and 5 mates did over 300 nights fishing for one 15lb common. If you fish it every weekend for a year 5 to 10 fish would be a very respectable result for your efforts. At the moment it is mega weedy and I mean mega weedy with a lot of the lake unfishable. As Malc said the rocks swims can be very dangerous as I know from experience as I still carry some very bad scars from a fall I had on them a couple of years ago. If you fancy it, all the best in your fishing but you will find it very hard going.

Jez

• 1 year later...

k k k soz about the year later but i have been fishing their and well its a game time of day for each peg really but as i can i will draw the lake and send it you but ill help you in any way i could to get you catching i have had a few twentie pound carp out of there and 1 i nearly lost cuz of the weed but got it choice of bait has to be only a few that are really productive 1 ) sweetcorn 2) monster crab 3 ) home made bait i do but could try make your own 4th tip use light leads 5) small hooks if using pva to cover hook up to get better takes but if plain casting use a bigger hook as their is hook left that aint covered in weed 6) dont heavily bait in one go as they put of feeding for a week or 2 if you dont want tench you have to take the risk of less take and use a big bait but small baits do give you a better chance from past experience and bream are nearly impossible to catch 1 thing that carpers can look forward to not seeing and apparently their is a 30lb carp in their going on 40ty but their is one thing some say that their are catfish but i never seen one and fish tight to snags as here they are productive as my step dad did and the fish wrapped around the snagg snap lost the fish but then 10 min later up a tree the fish swam away as the water is crystal clear.

i hope this will help you for when you go next time

Jez, is Trench the venue you was talking about on the Merrington social? I remember you saying that the weed was that bad, even a 3 ounce lead wouldnt get through the it.
That's the one but this cold winter has knocked the weed right back. I'm off down there this weekend for a 3 to 4 night session.

• 6 months later...

I had done a few nights with a m8 and i was seemingto be the only one to catch till 2nd 2 last night when my m8 had 1 tench even though i was next to him and i had 8 tench 2 bream and 1 jack pike but good session but i also lost 4 and one or two i though was a carp they seem to mouth the baits.i was using sweetcorn and a plastic piece to sit it upright.this lake is about location location location .

I had done a few nights with a m8 and i was seemingto be the only one to catch till 2nd 2 last night when my m8 had 1 tench even though i was next to him and i had 8 tench 2 bream and 1 jack pike but good session but i also lost 4 and one or two i though was a carp they seem to mouth the baits.i was using sweetcorn and a plastic piece to sit it upright.this lake is about location location location .

And rock climbing kit and first aid kit. I've never fished it but have walked around a few times. The rocky bank top is very narrow with steep drops either side. Small bivvies required and a good sense of balance.

Ian.

• 2 years later...