The effectiveness of baits from freezing.

tonybranno

I have been toying with the times that i take out my baits out of the freezer to get the maximum effectiveness from them. Sometimes i take them out of the freezer and put them in the air dry bag the moment i leave the house before travelling to the lake, or 24 hours before i need to use them and different times in between.

Do you think that by varying the times it would increase the effectiveness of the bait and would there be a point where you could get maximum effectiveness from them before they turn?

Have you got to take into account the bait itself and its make up and the water quality and the pH level of your chosen venue?

I started thawing mine out on Wednesday ready for Fridays session. I like them to air dry a bit so they stay on the hair better. I've found if they haven't had long enough to dry out then they don't always stay on the hair after they've been in the water for a few hours because they are too soft.

I experimented leaving them out for about 8 days once and let them go white and I blanked so haven't tried that since.

When thawing my boilies i always leave them in the bag over night so that any flavours/attractors that leech out during the freezing process go back into the boilies

Does this happen? I always assumed that the attractors actually get pulled into the bait when freezing, not the other way round :?

When thawing my boilies i always leave them in the bag over night so that any flavours/attractors that leech out during the freezing process go back into the boilies

Does this happen? I always assumed that the attractors actually get pulled into the bait when freezing, not the other way round :?

I was always told not to defrost in the bag, but always defrost on a towel or similar.

Ice crystals always develop inside the bag when frozen so surely some of the flavouring must get trapped in these crystals.

Read somewhere else on the forum someone else backing up my theory, have you ever seen patchy colouring on your boilies? thawing them out in the bag usually cures this.

Once thawed out then i transfer to an air dry bag.

Ice crystals always develop inside the bag when frozen so surely some of the flavouring must get trapped in these crystals.

Read somewhere else on the forum someone else backing up my theory, have you ever seen patchy colouring on your boilies? thawing them out in the bag usually cures this.

I find they go patchy in a bag!!

Airdrying them keeps them the same colour all over :?:?:?

I started thawing mine out on Wednesday ready for Fridays session. I like them to air dry a bit so they stay on the hair better. I've found if they haven't had long enough to dry out then they don't always stay on the hair after they've been in the water for a few hours because they are too soft.

True they are too soft to be trusted for a long time out there, but the softness can be a good aspect too :wink:

Interesting question this one with many varied answers depending on the baits ingredients etc. I have found some baits that are definitely better when they are two or three days old and are just on the turn and starting to get the old white coating on them where the bait is beginning to turn due to enzyme action on the baits ingredients. Other baits such as fishmeals I found better fished as fresh as possible maybe due to the oils within the bait being fresher and not rancid as they might be in older baits especially if it is hot weather. Im sure PH levels in lakes can affect how well certain baits fish and when they are at there most attractive to the carp but sussing this out is hard work with a lot of trial and error.

I find it best to keep my baits once thawed in paper bags which let them breathe rather than sweat as can happen with baits kept in plastic bags. I know some of you will be saying air dry them but to be honest air drying is a last resort for me as I like the bait to be as it was when boiled.

As for baits being to soft to stay on the hair I get around this problem by quite often fishing a different version as my hookbait, one that may of been mixed with some granite mix or glugged in a glycerine based glug which will harden them up considerably. How many of you would use a different bait completely from your freebies such as a blantant pop up or shelf life over your frozen freebies this will get around the soft bait problem and it does work well. Now I can see you all saying sacrilege but its only the same as a tiger over hemp.

To be honest this is an almost impossible question to answer as so many variables exist for one definitive answer.

Interesting question this one with many varied answers depending on the baits ingredients etc. I have found some baits that are definitely better when they are two or three days old and are just on the turn and starting to get the old white coating on them where the bait is beginning to turn due to enzyme action on the baits ingredients. Other baits such as fishmeals I found better fished as fresh as possible maybe due to the oils within the bait being fresher and not rancid as they might be in older baits especially if it is hot weather. Im sure PH levels in lakes can affect how well certain baits fish and when they are at there most attractive to the carp but sussing this out is hard work with a lot of trial and error.

I find it best to keep my baits once thawed in paper bags which let them breathe rather than sweat as can happen with baits kept in plastic bags. I know some of you will be saying air dry them but to be honest air drying is a last resort for me as I like the bait to be as it was when boiled.

As for baits being to soft to stay on the hair I get around this problem by quite often fishing a different version as my hookbait, one that may of been mixed with some granite mix or glugged in a glycerine based glug which will harden them up considerably. How many of you would use a different bait completely from your freebies such as a blantant pop up or shelf life over your frozen freebies this will get around the soft bait problem and it does work well. Now I can see you all saying sacrilege but its only the same as a tiger over hemp.

To be honest this is an almost impossible question to answer as so many variables exist for one definitive answer.

Interesting reply Jez.

I too have noticed that some baits are better instantly than others that are at their best after a couple of days

Also baits that are a couple of days old out of freezing have a strange slightly "off bacon" whiff about them don't seem to do that well. Trigga and the Bait and Feed Co Particle 42 and Smokey Mackeral are best after 2days, yet The Biollix seemed best straight away, and could be a nightmare to keep fresh in long sessions

I don't like a different hookbait over my freebies, I like the baits to be the same, or as close as possible, so I may just add a little Granite mix to toughen them up, but don't normally use other than straight out the same bag.

Jez's point about keeping baits fresh, from frozen; I have to use Plastic Bags sometimes, but do drop some rice in, it absorbs moisture and keeps the baits reasonably fresh. Once the bait is out of the house though and on the bank I put it into a Cool Bag, or drop them into a bucket of pellets, so they dry out all the way through.

More thoughts later when I can get my head out of the Stars

Nick, the rice trick or popping them into pellets is to me the same as air drying them which isnt really what I want although on longish sessions it is a viable method to get a couple of extra days out of your frozen baits.

Jez,

Thats true, and thats the only reason I do it to try to gain an extra day or so. If I'm there for a very long session then I either dive home to pick up some baits out the freezer, or have freezer facilities near me.

I have used AirDried baits, alongside Fresh Frozen, and on their own and found little discernible difference in results, but I know I put a lot of work in location every session anyway.

In regards of the air dried baits with me I think its just a confidence thing :lol:

It took me ages to convince myself as well, and in some cases Air Dried baits are not as effective.

They can absorb water faster than Frozen, and as a result go softer and break down faster, thats from experience!

Not nice reeling in a bare hook after your bait has broken down in the water :?:oops: ; You wonder how long it was out there with no bait on the hook :?

As a result I was only using them on shorter sessions, normally overnighters, or changing the baits daily, which with Frozen I didn't always do.

This week the bait seemed best after one/two days out of frozen, although I was getting a little wound up with 5lb scamp after 5lb scamp, so I ended up with 3x14mm baits on the hair for the 3rd night to avoid them in an attempt to get onto the larger Carp.

Put yourself on an Island in the middle of a big sheet of water for a month and catch a pb and your confidance in air dryed baits goes through the roof :D

I always have a kilo or two of bait made up espiecaly for hookers that is harder and lasts longer, I just take as many as I think Ill need.

Normaly does the trick.however last year had one batch of boilies that were breaking down far to quick and eventualy I used them all for feeding my own fish :D

Guest Anonymous

I quite often to use shelf life boilies as only eing a young'un and dont earn as much money only from my paper round i cant really afford freezer boilies i know there the same price but when i go fishing say in the 6 weeks holiday i will be fishing for 5 and a half weeks of that and as im not allowed to put my fihing bait in the freezer i wpuld only probably but 10kg of boilies for them 5 weeks and the rest i bait up with is pellets

I quite often to use shelf life boilies as only eing a young'un and dont earn as much money only from my paper round i cant really afford freezer boilies i know there the same price

They are cheaper TBH but if you havent got use of a freezer then yes you are stuffed. Thats why i use my old mans chest freezer in his shed, we have got just under 20k of our bait for the start of this years campaign sitting there waiting to be used at a moments notice.

Thats a nice feeling :D

Freezing actually dries things out, so moisture may be driven out. If you leave something in the freezer unbagged then it will actually become very dry and inedible. The patchy colouring is often freezer burn, areas where the baits have been in contact with something else (even other baits) and have been "burnt" by the contact as they are frozen

As baits defrost they tend to pull back in things that have leeched out, so any additional attractors can be added into the bag on pulling out of the freezer. I seem to remember Andy Little, Jim Gibbinson a,d Archie Braddock used this method to get flavours, colours and other attractors into the baits. Also from memory when this is done it tends to stay in the outer layer of the boilie.

As baits defrost they tend to pull back in things that have leeched out, so any additional attractors can be added into the bag on pulling out of the freezer. I seem to remember Andy Little, Jim Gibbinson a,d Archie Braddock used this method to get flavours, colours and other attractors into the baits. Also from memory when this is done it tends to stay in the outer layer of the boilie.

not sure if this is relevent but ive just made boilies and i put a little flavour in the bag with them , shook it up, and chucked them in the freezer - hopefully they should absorb the flavour when defrosted - but , I have not had the chance to use them yet :( but ill wil let you know if the flavour is taken on in a major way :D

<>Chris

• 4 weeks later...

this surely depends purely on the bait in question.

if anyone remembers CP2000, that had to be used fresh as, a day out after defrosting and it was literally fame over. Activ8 on the other had, is best used once its been out a few days and has started going white on the surface. apparently its all to do with the enzymes getting to work.

this surely depends purely on the bait in question.

if anyone remembers CP2000, that had to be used fresh as, a day out after defrosting and it was literally fame over. Activ8 on the other had, is best used once its been out a few days and has started going white on the surface. apparently its all to do with the enzymes getting to work.

That's correct.

Milk Protein baits have to be used very fresh, almost straight from Boiling or from the freezer.

Also Nutrabaits when they developed their Addits said that baits with them in had to be kept in the freezer and used quickly after defrosting as well.