drayton reservoir

Got To Agree With Bowza, Drayton is pretty exposed, therefore the wind tends to catch the water more than other waters so fishing with the wind off your back is a good plan, it also makes sense if you plan to fish off the surface (always worth a try at drayton) as the wind will then help to keep a tight line, iv'e found the best method for surface fishing at drayton is to still use your baitrunner and alarms as the takes are usually quite violent, iv'e seen many a rod disappear into the depths !!!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Going to Drayton tomorrow, and I've not been since last year, when the water was really well down and about 20 meters of beach was exposed. Fished in front of the boats, not normally accessable and had a fantastic day, caught 17 and also my PB of 23lbs 2oz, ugly so and so mind, it had a face a dog wouldn't lick, lol.

That day caught everything off the bottom with boillies and pellets, waggler crashed out on a blank! but that might have been me?

Taking my usual very spicey GB/spod mix, boillies, pellet, spam sweetcorn and bread.

So has anyone been today, Thursday 11th Aug 2011????????????? how far down is the water, are they still eating anything you throw at them?

or have they got a preference at the moment??????????

If ur going tomorrow come and have chat (unless I'm too busy), will be with my mate Ian, I'm Steve by the way, and we will be on the boards past the boathouse, unless the wind is wrong, an we might go on the wall.

well it's all sorted, phoned the bailiff and arranged a 48hr session for me and a mate this bank holiday weekend!! many have said 48hr's is mental on that lake, as i won't get any sleep, but i can sleep at home, cant fish at home!! who need's sleep anyway!!

Very excited!!

anybody got any information, tactic's, or location's on the water that will help make this session as productive as possible??

Would greatly appreciate it!

Thank's in advance!!! :lol::D:lol:

Bowza, thank's for ringing and posting price's on one of my post's mate, was extremely helpful, your a top bloke to go out of your way like that for someone you dont know.... true gent... maybe i'll catch you on the bank at some stage.. would be good to get to put a face to the name and thank you in person! :D

not a problem fella,

I think Ive said before if you can get close to the Boats on the right hand side, or on around the point on the left, both should produce fish from the middle and depending on wind surface fishing is very productive,

the res seems to pick up after 3pm so dont be dis heartened if slow during the early part of the day, night time is mental from all accounts never been brave enough to try it, if I did I would proberbly drop to one rod,

dont ignore close in either at night, think of all the food that gets kicked nocked in off those boards,

have a top session, the bailiff will fetch takeaway food from the local chippie sometimes, if he not busy, its not cheap though

Good luck

Bowza

not a problem fella,

I think Ive said before if you can get close to the Boats on the right hand side, or on around the point on the left, both should produce fish from the middle and depending on wind surface fishing is very productive,

the res seems to pick up after 3pm so dont be dis heartened if slow during the early part of the day, night time is mental from all accounts never been brave enough to try it, if I did I would proberbly drop to one rod,

dont ignore close in either at night, think of all the food that gets kicked nocked in off those boards,

have a top session, the bailiff will fetch takeaway food from the local chippie sometimes, if he not busy, its not cheap though

Good luck

Bowza

=D when i was walking around it yesterday with the dog, i only walked the left hand side, and there were a few really nice bivvy swim's, as i'll be going with a mate, i'm going to try and get 2 swim's close to each other, the one named stick's and the one next to it, just on the entrance to the point look good! when i rang the bailiff yesterday he said the friday lad's get kicked off noon saturday, so if i get there early, set up near the swim i want, when they go i can jump straight in, which would be good!

i also heard the local pizza places will deliver to the car park :) will have to put that one to the test! but i'll have my missus in the bivvy so she can make my noodle's and bacon sarnie's for me lol!!

i'll be there from opening on saturday the 27th, to near closing on the monday, long session, so i'll be glad of a "slow" morning here and there lol! going to take my digital camera and a pad of paper to document my results, if someone could tell me how i'll post some pic's after...

if at any point you fancy poping down, feel free, i might even spare a cuppa for ya lol, would be good to put a face to the name mate :)

tight line's!

I've not fished it this year yet, but will be going next weekend, i walked around and had a look 2 day's ago, and saw a fair few fish end up on the bank in the short time i was there, and nearly every swim i looked at had looked like the fish were very competitive in their feeding, lot's of bubble's from the bottom and load's of line bite's and knocks on a few people's rod's...

got to say i'm rather excited and have all my gear sorted for next week all ready, and don't think the fishing will be disappointing!

Can i just ask some of you who have fished Drayton in the past, what sort of rig's you use/used that get/got you the best result's, and how much does hook-length and the length of the hair have to play in landing the fish....

Also if i wanted to maximise my chance's of landing my first 20lb'er, what minor adjustment's should i make to my rig's, locations and bait's?

Any advice on these matter's would be greatly appreciated!

Thank's.

Mr Fox!

Thank's, it's certainly worth a try, i don't have any PVA mesh and not a great deal of cash either, what with me fishing 48hours at £25 a night... but i do have some PVA bag's which Im sure i can trim down, make a bait sausage at the bottom and use that instead..

Thank's for your help, I'll try it and let you know how i get on.

Would be nice to beat my PB on my first proper session since my dad died 9 year's ago! with any luck, I'll beat his PB too! :P

Me and a m8 went drayton on friday and was rammed big time..... there were hardly any pegs left at all on the left hand side but we did manage to find 2 empty 1s together 110-111 i think, anyway the water was really low and i had to wade out 15 foot to land and release the fish so make sure u take a set of wellies or waders with you.

The fishing was slow to begin with in the morning and early afternoon with hardly anyone catching but as usual picked up around 3-4 oclock and at 7ish had 5 runs in 15 minutes 2 of the times i didnt even have time to clip the bobbin on and it was away.

I dont really like these runs waters but i will be doing a night on there sometime in the near future :D

Thank's for the info, I'm going to be doing the weekend, from Saturday morning, until Monday afternoon, so the information has been really helpful thank you, I'll be turning up at the crack of dawn, well, opening time Saturday morning in the hopes to get a good choice of swim..

I know it get's busy at the weekends though, as it's such an easy water to get fish out of!

i should be in for a good session there! with a high chance of beating my personal best...

I'll have to let everyone know how i get on when I've had some sleep and come round on Tuesday :D

Theres nothing like real Carp angling, have fun boys...........

I can't help but read that with a hint of sarcasm, as Drayton is a poor water from a lot of angler's eye's and the fish are in real bad condition....

But I'll be having a good time, don't worry about that! once i have played a few fish at Drayton, and have some recent fish on the bank, i will be in search of a "proper" fishery, something that isn't overly pressured, harder to fish, has more feature's and a better looking back drop and where angler's take care of the fish, so they're good looking fish, not "polly's" lol...

they have lowered the water so you can bivvy up on the sandy mud infront og the boards, the water was too low to fish safely from the boards but not enough space on the mud to setup, so night fishing should be easier for the next few weeks

Bowza

had a day wednesday there with my mate had 3 carp out, 10lb and 2 15lb's lost a couple through nodding off lol,but theres an old boy there think he fishs about peg 49-50 at 6 o clock when everyone was leaving he was on fish 37 ,his average being 14lb ,i syopped to the end and he had atleast another half a dozen ,if you want a decent peg be there early got there at 6.15 because i thought gates open at 6.30 to find at least a dozen people setting up ,

have a good day mate

if you want a decent peg be there early got there at 6.15 because i thought gates open at 6.30 to find at least a dozen people setting up ,

have a good day mate

Thank's for that info mate, i appreciate it, will be turning up a 6 sharp, i don't mind waiting for the bailiff to open the gate :) i'll be first through then and onto the peg i wana fish.

Thank's again :D