drayton reservoir

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carpark is not that big so the lake can be fairly empty but know where to park,

I saw 5 lads on the damn wall all with mid doubles on at once, it can fish very well,

but all the fish a ugly and many with damaged mouths and tails

you will have a good chance to witness all that is wrong in carp fishing in a few hours at drayton,

I have fished it a few times to see this, its a shame as you get some good takes and good sport,

each to their own, give it a go and make your own mind up

Bowza

Most things work, surface is best after 2pm on summer afternoons, bottom baits with pva pellets, method mix, single baits

all work its a runs water, some people only fish one rod as 2 can be too complicated

its not hard in anyway to catch,

but dont loose concentration, seen many a person loose a rod n reel to the fat pigs in there

Bowza

Hi All

Did a day session at drayton last friday (29th July) with a mate and bowza is dead right the hungry pigs will eat anything, we got through 4 loaves of bread between the two of us and a full bag of pedigree chum mixers !!! we landed 57 fish between us for just over 800Lb !!! including 3 between 19 & 20lb average weight around 14lb.

Keepnets are totally banned which is why they don't have matches there any more, that and the fact the fish are a bit big for match fishing.

sorry also forgot to add that a lot of the fish are not in the best of conditions but after speaking with the bailiff he told me that since the match fishing has stopped the condition of the fish is improving but the ones with badly damaged mouths will take a lot longer to improve and in many cases some of them will never improve. Of all the fish we caught we had 5 that had multiple hooks and bits of line (all of which we safely removed and treated) and around half a dozen with badly deformed (parrot shaped) mouths, but on the other hand we also had fish that were in very good condition.

Pretty much makes no difference, i've fished just about all round and it and caught, water level is down at the moment so if you are doing an overnight or weather forecast is dodgy then the sides are the best bet if you want to put a shelter up, dam wall produces well but very difficult to get any shelter up other than a standard brolly, also fishing off dam wall is tiring if they are feeding well as every fish you catch means down the steps (at the side of each peg) to land fish, back up the steps to unhook, weigh, photograph etc, back down steps to return fish to water and back up steps to fish, times that by 30 or so fish and you got a load of exercise !!!. I'm off there tomorrow (tues) for a day session, at the moment gates open at 6.30am and close at 9.00pm

Does anybody know how much a night's fishing is at drayton cost's? i have just moved into daventry and have a mate coming up from london to do some fishing, he's never caught a carp in his life and i thought drayton would be a good place to start.. we were going to go friday evening to sunday afternoon, would drayton be the best place to go or is there somewhere else close by that would provide similar sport but be better for a weekends fishing?

any advice is greatly appreciated

MR FOX!

Mr Fox

You would need to get there early on friday to get on one of the night fishable swims, there are only about 25, and it gets very busy at weekends,

looking from the damn wall , you have the boat hous to the right with about 15 swims where you can get a bivvy setup, past the last of the boats,

on the left side there are 2 -3 before the decking bridge you can bivvy up, then another 10 or so round the point.

it gets busy, drive down this week you will see what I mean , Slick1 is fishing there now, I chatted for about an hour, and there are people bivvied up on the 2 areas I mention above,

good luck bowza

Thank's for your reply, I'll pop down at a few different points this weekend and scope it out, I was thinking of phoning and booking in advance anyway, but I'm also looking at dog lane fishery in Napton, depending on the cost related to the likely hood of catching a fair few good size fish (around 10lb) because I'll be fishing with a mate who's never caught a carp in his life, so i want him to at least hook into 1 fairly good fish! have you ever fished grebe lake at dog lane? what's the fishing there like? I've only just moved up here and haven't been able to reckie the water's around here yet.

Not a good days fishing at drayton yesterday i only landed 4 fish between 10lb 2oz & 16lb 7oz it was hard going 2 words not usually in the same sentence as drayton !!! the wind was a north easterly which didn't help, not much being caught by anyone, most success was by guys fishing waggler at about 3 ft deep.

Bowza it was nice to meet you and have a chat, its good to put a face to a name.

depends on wind conditions, the left hand point is popular, and on the right side as close to the boat as you can get

as the water is up and if it goes up any more the next few days I would drop one under the boards at your feet

Good luck

Bowza