Fishing In Spain

68joecool

• 2 months later...

hi, ive just bought a place outside el faro (la cala). & have been looking 4 somewhere to fish too......ive been told theres a lake in banus but dunno where !..... also a mates been fishing under the caratera at the mirrormar in fuengorola & had a few doubles.. but watch out 4 the locals trying to club them off u !

• 3 weeks later...

Ring this guy 0034952805437 BOB, he'll charge you a few euro's, to take you to the waters but you'll get to know them yourselves pretty quickly, I remember 1 or 2 in Los Barrios, river and a lake I lost a big 20 in the lake, not a resident so didnt write down directions. gofishingspain@hotmail.com his e-mail address is here and website is www.gofishingspain.com

thanks for the info. is the lake at los barrios the one at the end of the boneshaker track? if you go back, try the river at guadiaro which is way before los barrios. full of barbel, had no biggies but saw one over 20. emailed bob pickett at gofishingspain several times about joining his club but never got a reply. regards, joe

The lake is off a side road not a dirt track, huge Barbel and big carp, I'm suprised Bob hasn't contacted you, I'd ring him if I was you, excellent knowledge and a really nice bloke. I'd also invest in a Ordnance survey map and do some searching yourself. There are literally hundreds of lake and reservoirs out their, many of which have not even seen a rod.

Tight lines.

• 4 weeks later...

I have lived on the south coast of Spain for 8 years now, and to be honest the fishing is not that good. There are local waters where you can have good sport, try out new tactics etc but the real fishing is inland, Cordoba and beyond...

Most of the lakes here have stories of big fish (20+) been caught, however the problem is that neither the Spanish or our Eastern European friends practise capture and release and many of these fish have simply disappeared. This coupled with the drought 8-9 years ago, a lot of places dried up and the fish died. Unfortunately there is no restocking program or proper fishery management here so it is open to severe abuse, only yesterday we visited one of the lakes near Puerto Banus and it had 20 plus pop bottles floating around with line, hook and baits attached. A friend called the Guardia Civil and they were not interested...

Remember to be legal, you must have a license and insurance, do not listen to people that say you do not need it, having been stopped by a 5 car ambush of police and the Dept. Medio Ambiente I can assure you that you do need them, and remember its a maximum of 2 rods and no night fishing!

Enjoy your sport down here, but if you want real big fish hunting head North, it's a big country!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,I help run a fishing club in Mojacar (Mojacar Angling Club) and wonder if anyone on this forum is from our area.Although we are in Andalucia we are well North in Almeria and its pretty dry.We drive for up to 2 hours for most of our fishing and the furthest South we go is just North of Granada between there and Guadix.We also fish in the Murcia region where its dead easy to get a licence,just a passport photocopy required,30 Euros for a five year coarse licence.We fish up to 2 hours drive again as far up as Murcia Town,John.

Hi John

I live in Estepona, near Marbella, although with all this building work and sharp increase in the cost of living I wish I didn't!

We fish locally but mainly just to get away once a week, our main big fish hunting expeditions are into Cordoba and beyond into Extremadura. We drive up to 500Km's looking for good places, its just a pity you cannot night fish, although we are members of a club in Extremadura that organizes 3 day sessions once a month which are approved by the local council and pollice.

What sort of fishing does your club do and where do you go in the Granada area, I may be wrong but I didn't think there were any "big fish" lakes there? Have you been to La Ruedera in Castilla la Mancha, that shouldn't be far from you?

We could do with a club down here like the one in Extremadura, with a representative that can talk to the powers that be and try and get permissions to night fish occassionally. They think we are all litter louts and thieve all the fish, what they don't realise is its their own kind and the eastern europeans doing most of it!

Right better leave it at that, not really room for 10 page essays about the delights :( of fishing in Spain, thank god we have the weather!

What sort of fishing does your club do and where do you go in the Granada area, I may be wrong but I didn't think there were any "big fish" lakes there? Have you been to La Ruedera in Castilla la Mancha, that shouldn't be far from you?

Hi kairey,La Mancha is about a 4 hour drive I guess.As individuals we are willing to drive further maybe for a few days fishing and will take a look at it on the map etc.Its a bit far for an organised club fish.

We intend doing the Ebro for a long weekend.Its an 8 hour drive but has to be done!

We are still doing recces on lakes in our area and our club has only been going since March this year.It has been so difficult getting coarse licences from the Almeria ministry it has stopped many anglers from fishing.This we have now got sorted.

We fish sea as well from the shore and boats.Shore fishing here is useless but we persevere.

In answer to your question about lakes near Granada we have only fished Baza and la Peza.

A lake some new fishing friends from down your way have told us about near Granada is said to have big Carp 30+ and Barble to 25lb (The latter seen but not caught).Big fish if true,other information given by them has to date proved to be correct.

The biggest Carp I've had in the area is a 4 1/4 lb Common.Been broke up many times as I fish light.

A friend fishes a pole with 14lb elastic and up to 10lb line and many a time has been broken by big fish that just wouldnt stop.

I've ordered a 20 foot Milo Power Rod as I dont like fishing a pole but hope the pole method will work and that with a reel I will be in a position to play the bigger fish.

Most of our lakes are full of small Carp and Barble to 1.5lb and getting through them to the bigger fish is difficult but if you catch enough like my friend does,normally between 100 and 200 in five hours a percentage of bigger fish will be caught.

John.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

There is a lake and a river which I have not fished but witnessed some big Barble and reasonable carp.It is in a valley called Beranco Blanco, on the road from Alhaurin El Grande to Coin. Past medieval looking water tower.Please excuse any spelling mistakes.Dave.

Guest Anonymous

Could try the river at back,behind restaurant,Finca La Fuente.If it is still there.The guy who owns the valley and restaurant is an Austrian with dubious history(if you know the story behind the valley)calledFreddie and he has let people fish it in the past.Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

On a couple of the lakes we fish in Mercia and Andalucia there is a Carp the locals call a "Bancho" It looks like a Common but has only very small barbles that for weeks we haven't actually noticed were there.Its mouth is more Roach like than Carp and it has a latteral line of spots (On each scale) running the length of its body.

In France I'm told they are called "Karasan" but am not sure of the spelling.

I've tried a Google search on the name without success,can anyone help with info on this fish.

John.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...