north west carp fishing

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why argue? Some trout anglers seek the wild brownie in the little stream and some seek the mad stockie in a big reser.

I am fishing a 12 acre lake with very few carp in and I havnt seen anything over 20lb yet and it has no history of producing carp of any size, as far as I can tell there are 1-2 carp caught each year and they dont go over 20. Who would rate that as a good carp water? Not you. Well I do, I like it there and I choose to fish there. We all like different things; to me its a good water, it has the things I'm after, peace (no other carp anglers stupid enough to fish there), difficult, no named fish, chance of a surprise, 15 mins from home, beautiful shropshire scenery, just me vs the carp.

One day I might go to the Monument, who cares?

id fish it matey the lake im on when i went on had them up to 21lb its free, quiet, and stunning i love it there but its hard and any fish be it a 15 or a 20 gives me the same greatest sense of achievement.if there was one next door with imported 40lb common carp in (cough cough) i would in no way be even tempted to look at that water its going to be really hard to replace my current water after iv had all the fish in there but im sure there someplace out there i don't know maybe penny flash but at the moment im loving my fishing and the biggest is upper 20's in there

Guest Anonymous

I'd rather we have em up North than them be killed. Both buyer and seller are happy. I don't really mind where they are from , Carp aren't even native to the UK anyway.

at last a bit of sense on the thread:D my views exactly my friend. What i think should happen is if a fishery manager decides that he/she wants to import Aussie carp then it should be enforced that they have a seperate lake/complex soley dedicated to imported carp that way the situation will not affect the english home growns also it will give carp anglers the choice on which carp they wanted to catch. All these negative people towards it will soon swing over to the imports when there friends are showing them pics of HUGE carp:D :D :D :D

• 1 month later...

i know of a few venues mainly round the st.helens area tho

1. monastry dam, monastry lane st.helens

this a good venue through the summer, with lots of carp showing on the top, and being taken off the top with floatin' baits.

not many carp anglers use this venue, besides a few kids.

2. mill dam, mill lane, st.helens.

also a good venue, only small in there tho

3. carr mill dam, carr mill road.

this is an alright venue too. fairly large water. decent carp in there too i think the largest fish is around the 30-mark

4. st.helens canal, jus on the outside of st.helens town,

a good venue also for small carp, heavily fished tho

5. leg-a-mutton dam, just off knowsley road up the side of triplex on the right hand side.

also another good venue, heavily fished again tho......... :(

6. paddock dam, over the road from leg-a-mutton dam

this venue is okay, its not held by the same peeps as leg-a-mutton dam :(

thats all i can think of at tho mo............... if i find about any more i'll be sure to let u's know

• 4 months later...

Now heres a water I can highly recommend that we used to fish..£10 for 24hours,its called "Bottom Flash"(seriously!!),in Winsford Cheshire, bit tricky to gain access, (just ask directions to caravan site on Flash itself and right turn just at entrance,follow bumpy track round,river behind you,)nice carp,lots of commons, good in winter by Yacht club, deeper water, the farmer who used to run it is a top human bieing,kind hearted,genuine good man, some of locals live on there but are ok..only probs are occasionally match pegged, shoals of snottys and campsite karioke on still nights which is eerie and a laugh for a while. you used to be able to just set up and pay when asked, but do a google search as i think there is now a phone number...beware though this is a lake to fall in love with,Note a few years ago they were going to hold the world championship carp fishing comp(NW) on it,says all about size and quality of the carp, Its a big venue, hope you like it, let me know if this was any help mate, regards,Brian, a fisherman not a secret squirrel!!!

Now heres a water I can highly recommend that we used to fish..£10 for 24hours,its called "Bottom Flash"(seriously!!),in Winsford Cheshire, bit tricky to gain access, (just ask directions to caravan site on Flash itself and right turn just at entrance,follow bumpy track round,river behind you,)nice carp,lots of commons, good in winter by Yacht club, deeper water, the farmer who used to run it is a top human bieing,kind hearted,genuine good man, some of locals live on there but are ok..only probs are occasionally match pegged, shoals of snottys and campsite karioke on still nights which is eerie and a laugh for a while. you used to be able to just set up and pay when asked, but do a google search as i think there is now a phone number...beware though this is a lake to fall in love with,Note a few years ago they were going to hold the world championship carp fishing comp(NW) on it,says all about size and quality of the carp, Its a big venue, hope you like it, let me know if this was any help mate, regards,Brian, a fisherman not a secret squirrel!!!

• 10 months later...

i know of many good carp waters in the stockport , cheshire area.

1. poynton pool: Huge lake! lots of carp to nearly 30 pound! three fish touching 29lb a common mirror and leather. around 25 differnt 20lbers in there as well.

2. Birch vale. large lake. great if you like a challenge! and i mean a challenge. only 15 carp in this reservoir biggest around 20lb. i have had 6 of the carp in there all bout mid doubles. biggest 17lb black mirror!

There are loads of carp waters around here! you just need 2 get out there and find them!

Guest terrypearce

I would like to know where these good carp waters are in Stockport.

Poynton Pool. No night fishing, one rod per membership etc. Only about 8 acres.

Etherow, same as above with more rules(although some ok fish)

Roman Lakes, enough said about that hole.

I go to Shropshire to find decent lakes.

There are lot of waters around the north-west that are quiet and very rarely fished, and contain some cracking carp. People just have to do a bit of homework and they would be surprised what they find. I hear things all too often about such a place being packed, and this happened at such a place. Unfortunatley we live in a quick fix society, and want everything all too easily. If you want to go and fish places like Pendle view, Wyreside or anywhere else where they treat you like animals being packed onto a cattle truck, then thats your choice and good luck with your fishing.

If thats not what you want then take off your blinkers, and look around you.

The waters are there :wink: And some of them are free :wink:

If your prepared to put in some real time and effort, there are some golden fish at the end of the rainbow :wink:

has anyone fished worthington lakes in wigan? there isnt that many people fish it that i have seen. theres 2 lakes with carp in, the middle one and the top smaller lake(still a big lake tho). ive been told by a guy fishing there that theres a 28lber in the top lake!?! its ment to be around £4 a rod but no1 ever comes round.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know any lakes with decent fish in the north wales area? between£10-£15 day or night. I know tonnes of day ticket small ponds but seems best ones are Gwryd Lake Burton Mere and if i fancy a trip over the Menai then Llyn-y-Gors, All the ones i hear about are syndicate. Maybe thats the way forward?. Seen a good pond near broughton think its £25 year but when i went to have a look it was gettin poached to death....Don't wanna pay me money if people are taking liberties. Any info welcome.

Cheers

Rob.

stoke on trent a.s have a water just outside chester mate, its called bolesworth castle and its just off the a41 bewtween broxton and chester :wink:

its a lovely lake on a private estate and its stuffed full of fish :wink: joining stoke isn't cheap although you do get access to some of the biggest carp in the cheshire region if your prepared to travel to their other waters :wink:

http://www.sotangling.com

Cheers Marker i heard of Stoke before an a mate has mentioned that Bolesworth castle. Just been on website and cant find the prices think me mate said £120 first year an £80 every year after this about right?

Cheers for info mate seriously considerin a syndicate as the amount of money i pay on day tickets will prob add up to at least years membership. Just gorra convince the wife now :roll:

Cheers again mate.

Rob.