Personal bests.

tonybranno

How do you record your personal bests?

Do you have one personal best for each type of carp e.g. Mirrors, commons, leathers, fully scaled and ghosts. Or do you record them like i do and have just one for mirrors (which would include fully scaled) and one for commons or do you count a carp as a carp whatever strain it is?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my largest Carp as my obvious PB.

Yet some of my PB Carp are not actually my Biggest Carp I've caught. Some of the Carp out of the Reservoir I would classify as PB fish simply for the effort involved in catching them.

I know the largest Carp I have caught in each strain, and for Leather, Mirror and Common I have a largest of each in excess of 24lbs.

Also the fact that my Largest Carp was a River caught fish makes it an obvious PB in its own right.

Sorry if that does not quite make perfect sense, I've been awake for nearly 24 hours and have had a very "busy" day.

I have an overall pb and a pb for both commons and mirrors.

Mirror - 22lb

Common - 28lb 4oz

I am really after a big classic looking mirror. In my club water I am fishing in 2 weeks there is tiger striped mirror in the 26-28lb region That would do nicely.

I only started weighing fish about 5 years ago and photographing them about 3-4 years ago, unless i was with someone who did it already, the weight was never that important to me, but since i started carp fishing thats all that seemed to matter to others, so i guess i followed the crowd and then i started weighing all speacies, i always used to class my pb as the biggest carp i had (never had a pb for each strain of carp) if thats make sense :wink:

Too much is put onto personal bests.

Is a 30lb fish caught out of an overstocked commercial fishery in the middle of summer as good as a 20lb fish caught out of a local syndicate lake in the middle of winter?

My PB is a mere 18lb out of Sandhurst lake but my best fish was a stunning 15lb common caught out of my local syndicate lake.A much harder fish to catch and land and gave me a lot more satisfaction.

NitroNick

My previous 2 pb's was from the river and that was an excellent feeling, then i did my pb about 3 months ago, from my club water, now if it had been standerd tactics that had got it, it would of still been an achievment, but i took it of the top and it took me ages to get them feeding, so i was well happy with it, plus it was only my second 20+ of the surface :D:D but i do know where you are comng from, you see it all the time people who go to a day ticket water chuck it and chance it, then bag the biggest fish in the lake and they think they know it all, working for the fish is alot more rewarding. :wink:

I know the largest Carp I have caught in each strain, and for Leather, Mirror and Common I have a largest of each in excess of 24lbs.

Ive never been lucky enough to catch a leather or a true big ghostie so if and when i do i suppose i will have seperate PB's for them also 8)

One point though, i have caught commons and mirrors with a definate bit of ghost carp in them but im not sure if they are classed as true ghost carp. Can true ghost carp look like commons and mirrors (e.g. scale patterns etc) or are they just one or the other :?

Too much is put onto personal bests.

Is a 30lb fish caught out of an overstocked commercial fishery in the middle of summer as good as a 20lb fish caught out of a local syndicate lake in the middle of winter?

My PB is a mere 18lb out of Sandhurst lake but my best fish was a stunning 15lb common caught out of my local syndicate lake.A much harder fish to catch and land and gave me a lot more satisfaction.

NitroNick

I disagree here. There is no greater buzz than when you catch a 20 or big fish. One day you may experience this buzz and be able to comment.

A key point is that big carp dont get big by being stupid, which makes them arguably more challenging to catch.

Of course, there are other sometimes more pleasing captures. But nobody can say they wont get a greater feeling running down their spine when they slide the net under a 20 rather than a 10lber. People dont sit on waters like Wraysbury for seasons without catching for nothing. It is to achieve that greater buzz.

Nick surely you like big breasted women, all you can eat buffets, long range goals, widescreen tvs, fat wads of cash, boundaries in cricket. Open your eyes to the world we live in, size matters!

Also, having a pb does not mean you disregard smaller fish.

I agree with nitronick. A 20lb fish from Wraysbury, or another ultra hard water is so much more of an achievement than a 30 or even a 40 from some overstocked carp puddle where you can whack the rods out and catch all day long, without thinking!

The sense of achievement you'd get from just catching a fish from these hard waters would be amazing.

There's an article in Carpology this month, not sure who it is, but they've caught a 40lb fish that hasn't been caught for ages, from a public lake, that no one fishes, because of all the diffculties, no night fishing, boating, huge weed beds etc, and for me, this sums up carp fishing, doing your homework, and watching the fish, getting down to the lake at any time you can, to bait up and watch the fish.

Now compare that to turning up at some hole-in-the-ground, putting the rods out, with X number of freebies, and a rig, that's clearly had no thought put into it whatsoever, and catching!

Sure, these places are OK for people new to carp fishing, but there is a time when you have to move on to harder waters!

But that's just my opinion :wink:

Right let me get this straight, you are all saying the same thing but wording it diffrently, and arguing about it :?

Nitronick is saying, that a carp from a hard water is better and worth more in angling terms/abillity than a fish from a overstocked puddle.

Silli12sally is saying, that he disagree but then agrees with Nitronick.

By saying

(People dont sit on waters like Wraysbury for seasons without catching for nothing. It is to achieve that greater buzz.)

By catching "big" fish from a hard water. is the ultimate buzz the same as what Nitronick has said just worded and explained differantly

Please ignore this if i have just made myself look stupid but thats the way i'm reading it :lol::wink:

I agree with nitronick. A 20lb fish from Wraysbury, or another ultra hard water is so much more of an achievement than a 30 or even a 40 from some overstocked carp puddle where you can whack the rods out and catch all day long, without thinking!

The sense of achievement you'd get from just catching a fish from these hard waters would be amazing.

There's an article in Carpology this month, not sure who it is, but they've caught a 40lb fish that hasn't been caught for ages, from a public lake, that no one fishes, because of all the diffculties, no night fishing, boating, huge weed beds etc, and for me, this sums up carp fishing, doing your homework, and watching the fish, getting down to the lake at any time you can, to bait up and watch the fish.

Now compare that to turning up at some hole-in-the-ground, putting the rods out, with X number of freebies, and a rig, that's clearly had no thought put into it whatsoever, and catching!

Sure, these places are OK for people new to carp fishing, but there is a time when you have to move on to harder waters!

But that's just my opinion :wink:

I never said size is all that matters. If you read my last sentence you would realise this. I enjoy catching carp of all sizes but the bigger fish give a greater buzz. Alot of the tricky lakes tend to have the largest fish anyway.

As for your attack on my approach to this forum, I would say this. This is a forum and im not on here to make friends. But more often than not my points are valid. I think my posts make this forum more interesting.

The funny thing is by making a comment like that you are actually behaving in the way you are criticising.

My PB the only fish I've caught is only 11lb 8oz and that was a little mirror which I am hoping to change pretty soon!

Our waters are really hard as well that hard that when we first started fishing them nobody had pulled anything out for over a month and when they did pull something out it was only 5lb caught on a chopped spicy mussel boilie!

Do you enjoy winding people up and making an enemy of yourself sally?

'Coz you're doing a good job of it so far!

That is not the best thing to say, it is close to a direct attack or insult and I will not tolerate it on a public forum.

Sally's posts views may differ from your own (whoever you are), as mine may do from those of other people, but those posts may cause a difference of opinion, may make you think and give a different viewpoint. Just by doing that then the posts are valid.

I'm sure in the past that Silly12Sally and I have argued or debated in the past via the forum, and I'm sure that at the end of the day we have come to 1 conclusion; That we have contributed in our difference of opinion and had a good debate and raised thoughts and issues that others may enjoy thinking about.

In terms of Personal Bests, does my River Personal Best Largest Fish mean anything less than the Reservoir Fish I have caught, or the Fish (plural) I caught from Earith when it was an Unknown Venue? That is why I find it difficult to differentiate between fish, not because they are smaller, but because each one was so Hard Earned.

A friend of mine has caught a 30lb Carp from a Water with 30's, there is more chance of a 30lb Carp picking up his bait than not, yet he has only caught 1 fish from the venue, I have caught far more numbers of fish there than him, yet for some reason I have not managed to catch a Carp above 24lbs from there. The 30lb I class only as his largest fish, but not as a Personal Best.

A friend of mine has caught a 30lb Carp from a Water with 30's, there is more chance of a 30lb Carp picking up his bait than not, yet he has only caught 1 fish from the venue, I have caught far more numbers of fish there than him, yet for some reason I have not managed to catch a Carp above 24lbs from there. The 30lb I class only as his largest fish, but not as a Personal Best.

Thats an interesting point cos i always thought everyone viewed their personal bests as a weight, not what effort went into a certain capture.