Stock levels

Shrubby

43 minutes ago, Shrubby said:

I am looking to join a lake and it’s a 20 acre lake and the stock is about 100 head of carp. That sounds low to me and this could lead to a low catch rate. Does anyone have knowledge on the amount of fish that should be in a 20 acre lake?

That sounds like it's healthily stocked, it's probably the same number of carp as in my syndicate lake which is 45acres.

Your lake is not going to be a pushover, depending on features, other species, you aren't likely to catch every trip as I expect the carp have plenty of natural food.

If you do expect to catch every trip then give up fishing...

Seriously years ago when I was running a fishery, I learnt that the average fishery, with no bait, can hold roughly on average, 800lb of fish ( all species) per acre. So this could be 800 1lb fish, or 20 40lb fish and all variants in between.

Many fisheries overstock, well beyond this figure so that fish have to be caught, they rely on anglers bait to survive. It is not always healthy.

Then you have the fishery that is below that 800lb, the fish have room to grow, to develop.

Good feedback and thank you.

When you ran a fishery did you use a fishing consultant as a SME for guidance and advice. Reason I ask is my mate is considering buying a lake and I will probably invest at some point.

If you did use a person or company would you recommend them?

8 hours ago, Shrubby said:

Good feedback and thank you.

When you ran a fishery did you use a fishing consultant as a SME for guidance and advice. Reason I ask is my mate is considering buying a lake and I will probably invest at some point.

If you did use a person or company would you recommend them?

I took on Taverham Mills as a 'stop gap' between the sale by Schroeder and the purchase by Anglian Water, so had to do the research myself. I was learning the best stock levels and fish growth from a gentleman near Harleston and correspondence courses.

At the time the lake was not heavily stocked. Although a few carp had gone in a few years before the sale it was never overstocked, there was a mix of tench and bream (to double figures), some carp to probably 30lb from a few sources and pike.

My strong point was the bankside security, fencing, bailiffing and actual fishing management.  

48 minutes ago, Shrubby said:

Very interesting and you clearly have a good knowledge base.

Thank you.

On the low stock fishery it can be quite difficult to get fish feeding on bait. Even fresh stock fish, which have been brought up on course/carp pellets can switch onto natural foods and become difficult to catch, although some do become catchable.

Some however do become bait eaters, particles and/or boilies, that is new stock and 'originals'.

Some fish can go on 'the missing list' for absolutely ages, or be seen, yet not caught.

To give some idea of that, on my syndicate lake we have a number of commons.

The Parrot, The Pug nose are fish that are well known, come out around 23lb.

There are 4 fish, 3 commons and 1 mirror that since being (legitimately) moved with the correct paperwork have not been caught, one of that stocking, I had on its first capture last year at 23lb, the only time it's been caught in 3 years with a 5lb growth rate. The biggest common I would think is close to 50lb, its been seen, yet has never been seen feeding on bait.

The best known common or Queen of the lake went missing, not banked for 2 years. She came out again last week 5lb heavier than her last capture.

There are some stock fish from 2021 that have put on 10lb in 13months!

One of the fish stocked in 2020 at 18lb is coming out at around 32lb, and this years January stocking a couple have put on 2lb, yet others have not even caught since being stocked, some caught within a month of being stocked then avoiding capture, yet we are seeing them.

There is an 'accidental' stocking, a koi that appeared after coming down the flooded inlet, it has never been banked, few have seen it, but how that bright white fish can disappear I don't know.

I've been out in the lake in chest waders, I've disturbed bloodworm beds, I've found swan mussels, snails, and stepped in massive feeding holes; some are only just past the margins, some are out in the middle of the lake.

I have access to a massive picture portfolio of the lakes stock, from originals and their capture weights to the stockings and stocking weights and all captures since. I also have some pictures of Tench and pike, so I know that there are occasional recaptures.

On 20/05/2023 at 06:58, Shrubby said:

I am looking to join a lake and it’s a 20 acre lake and the stock is about 100 head of carp. That sounds low to me and this could lead to a low catch rate. Does anyone have knowledge on the amount of fish that should be in a 20 acre lake?

There is not a lower limit you could have one or 2 in a water that size will be hard to catch them but depends on what you want from your fishing

but

higher level can cause problems..

look at some of the problems in high stocked match venues

On 20/05/2023 at 06:58, Shrubby said:

Depends a lot on depth of water as that has a big impact on water volume.  I've recently fished 2 x 25+ acre lakes - both holding 1000s of carp.  One is an average of 20+feet deep, whereas the other is only about 8 feet deep on average.

I would have no concerns about the fish in the deeper lake - the volume is more than twice that of the shallower lake.

You will obviously catch much less in your 20 acre - 100 fish lake, BUT the fish will be less stressed, better water quality (the most important thing full stop) and you will learn more and appreciate your successes more than on an easy runs water.  My early experiences on a lake of 25+ acres with 35 fish, choked with weed gave me invaluable skills and understanding - a fast track apprenticeship if you like.  Go for it!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/05/2023 at 17:11, framey said:

There is not a lower limit you could have one or 2 in a water that size will be hard to catch them but depends on what you want from your fishing

but

higher level can cause problems..

look at some of the problems in high stocked match venues

Snake Pit on the CAPS ticket originally had just 3 fish in 12 acres!

The big 40lb Common, the Tadpole Common and the Mirror.

I can't remember whether it was Sudbury Angling Club or CAPS who added extra stock, I think it was the former (but I know who it was on the club), the extra stock created the problems. (Followed by a bit of hoi polloi...)

@kevtaylor mentions depth, the deeper water can hold a lower temperature in summer, and as a result more (dissolved) oxygen, although tree lined or clear will also make some difference.