On 28/04/2023 at 06:42, Rick patterson said:

Hi I've been told there is pike in this lake. If so just after bit of advice what's best bait dead baits or lure fishing I don't uselive baits.

I’m not a pike fisherman at all so I would never dream of teaching your Grandmother to suck eggs Rick .

this link will help you decide I reckon . https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/blogs-articles-and-news/the-fisheries-and-angling-team/summer-pike-fishing#:~:text=In general terms%2C the pike,fishing season on 14 March.
Some people may , by the way , question whether warmer weather piking is morally correct anyway.

The Pike Anglers Club might be another place to ask your question, my thinking is spinning sounds fun and there’s always the chance of a decent Carp getting sucked in as well 😉

Edited by newmarket

Hi I've been told there is pike in this lake. If so just after bit of advice what's best bait dead baits or lure fishing I don't uselive baits.

I did a Google search on Hamworthy, and it came up as a 'variety of course fish, including carp, tench, roach, rudd and pike'.

I'm not one for recommending pike fishing in the summer, as a member of the Pike Anglers Club, the season doesn't begin until October for me. If I was fishing the deeper colder lochs or Lake District waters I may think differently. 

I don't know if there are perch in there, it may be worth a few trips fishing with worms and maggots to find out. If there are, a small lure or drop shot lure may sort out a bigger fish or two.

Save the deadbaits for winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I'm not a summer pike fisherman. I go for carp n tench during the summer I was just inquiring about pike for some winter fishing. 

Hi mate, I fished there for several years but I can’t remember anyone targeting it for pike. Used to do some nice carp and tench, however there were only a small group of us targeting the place back then. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were not a good head of pike in there. I’d probably go for my favourite pike baits, trout, roach, smelt and mackerel. Fish one on the deck and one suspended. Or as the pit can get a good wind across it, maybe a more roving approach with a deadbait under a drift float to search out the water? When you first reach the lake from the lake car park, that bay (summer bay as we called it) was sandy and shallower. There was a bar running from the point across to the reeds on the other side at the narrowest point, there are supposed to be some proper depths (although I found that the depths were not as extreme as I heard quoted) I also heard of stories of a bus and a midget submarine in there somewhere that the Marines used to dive over. I never snagged them though! I saw a pic of a mid double cat out of there. On the “beach bank” which you reach following the paths down from the holiday camp, if you stand on the bank looking out over the lake, to your left will be a reed bed extending along that margin right round past the point and onto the smaller lake, to your right there is a tiny bay that was full of lilly's in the bay in the summer, that always looked pikey to me. As the lake is a bit of a forgotten entity, at least it always was, so the piking could be amazing, it could be patchy, but best thing is to speculate a season and give it a go! Good luck mate 

Thank you for your reply and advice.  I agree its a lake that not fished regularly.  It always looked like a carp lake to me until someone told me he had a few low double pike out of it several years ago. I've not visited the lake in a few years even though I live 6 miles away. I'm going to go down there tomorrow for a good look around you said a 2nd lake ? Didn't know there was another one there. Thank you for advice will give it a go for pike in October with dead sea baits may even chuck few lures in .

As you walk from lake car park to the lake, just before you get to the main lake, there’s a smaller pond that is separated by a huge bank of reeds. During times of heavy persistent rain or when it’s winter and the water level is high, the marshy ground in the reeds flood and both lakes fully join, when the water level drops, they can become 2 separate lakes. I never saw any carp in the smaller pond, although I did a few nights on it. I used to just concentrate on the large pit. If I remember correctly, there was a dog poo bin (the last one before you reach the main lake) next to this bin was a small path that led to the smaller pond, but it could all have changed now of course! It was a fair few years ago that I did any serious time on it 

• 2 weeks later...