May Catch Reports

salokcinnodrog

Am I starting something in May?

I set up in 'my' baited swim on Tuesday, but after a blank night felt a move was in order. 

Another blank last night, but today I had fish showing so stayed where I was. Got swanned out on 1 rod, but the left hand in the shallower water by the island margins was left alone. Had a rather nice take on a little RH Infusion Naturalz as the sun set.

This little fella at 20lb 2oz was stocked in January at 17.

20230504_204251.jpg

20230504_204214.jpg

7 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Am I starting something in May?

I set up in 'my' baited swim on Tuesday, but after a blank night felt a move was in order. 

Another blank last night, but today I had fish showing so stayed where I was. Got scanned out on 1 rod, but the left hand in the shallower water by the island margins was left alone. Had a rather nice take on a little RH Infusion Naturalz as the sun set.

This little fella at 20lb 2oz was stocked in January at 17.

20230504_204251.jpg

20230504_204214.jpg

That's a nice looking creamy sparsely scaled Mirror ( ? ) , Nick .

😃

Just now, crusian said:

That's a nice looking creamy sparsely scaled Mirror ( ? ) , Nick .

😃

Definitely a mirror, I had to look twice as the pin scales are small just below the dorsal fin.

The stocking pic shows it a bit better, but with my arm and shoulder, holding them up is fun, so couldn't tilt it properly forward to show them.

3 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Definitely a mirror, I had to look twice as the pin scales are small just below the dorsal fin.

The stocking pic shows it a bit better, but with my arm and shoulder, holding them up is fun, so couldn't tilt it properly forward to show them.

Tight lines for the rest of your session , Nick , and hopefully you've been able to get your car nearer to the lake this time ? .

On 04/05/2023 at 21:43, crusian said:

Tight lines for the rest of your session , Nick , and hopefully you've been able to get your car nearer to the lake this time ? .

Definitely.

I unloaded out of the car into the first swim, just to the left of the island, a swim I had been baiting for a few weeks, but after a blank night and someone catching on the opposite up towards the shallows (the side I'm wary of fishing as the sheep and lambs are over there and Sky likes raw lamb), I moved around 100metres to the right of the island towards shallower water. Bit of a pain, but worth it. 

After my fish though the swans got to be a nightmare, for myself and the other angler. Right pain, actually picking up hookbaits and removing them from the hair, I got wiped out at 4am this morning.

The main reason I hadn't fished the shallows.

Able to pack up and load into the car, although if I'd been setting up, I wouldn't have tried getting it round after yesterday and last night's rain.

That rain seemed to move the fish back into deeper water.

13 hours ago, dalej2014 said:

Another good mid double on the feeder rod. It's fast becoming a favourite way to fish, involving way less gear and hassle. More active and involved than a bite alarm, and lots of fun playing big lumps on light gear!

There's a two pint bait box for scale.

IMG_20230515_195635090.thumb.jpg.578fcfc8b4cbff6bf85c331cd05958a6.jpg

Nice Fish, but there's 1 thing missing.....Unhooking Mat, there looks to be a few Sharp Stones near by.

15 hours ago, dalej2014 said:

Another good mid double on the feeder rod. It's fast becoming a favourite way to fish, involving way less gear and hassle. More active and involved than a bite alarm, and lots of fun playing big lumps on light gear!

Could unhook it when the net is in the water with the fish 

2 hours ago, B B said:

Could unhook it when the net is in the water with the fish 

A good idea usually, but it was actually far too big for the net (which is for silverfish). It's the reason you can see the eyes covered as this calms the fish. I was using barbless hooks too, so no issue unhooking once landed. Harder in the net as it was so big! She was safely returned with no harm done, other than injured pride ;) Also, although not easy to see, there is some grass and green stuff directly under the fish.

Edited by dalej2014

On 15/05/2023 at 21:56, dalej2014 said:

That looks like a lump on light gear.

Definitely trouble you don't expect, especially if there aren't any carp in the water...

I've landed double figure carp from a pond that "absolutely no carp were stocked in" according to the owner.

I noticed the unhooking mat comments, my accidental capture lead to me always having something like this in my gear:

https://www.northeasttackle.co.uk/carp-fishing-tackle-c29/carp-accessories-c59/dam-fighter-pro-unhooking-mat-p4185

(Shop around I just picked one at random)

Not mega expensive, it's handy doubling up to protect your backside when roving for chub etc, or in Sky's case, a dog bed when roach fishing on the reservoir.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

That looks like a lump on light gear.

Definitely trouble you don't expect, especially if there aren't any carp in the water...

I've landed double figure carp from a pond that "absolutely no carp were stocked in" according to the owner.

I noticed the unhooking mat comments, my accidental capture lead to me always having something like this in my gear:

https://www.northeasttackle.co.uk/carp-fishing-tackle-c29/carp-accessories-c59/dam-fighter-pro-unhooking-mat-p4185

(Shop around I just picked one at random)

Not mega expensive, it's handy doubling up to protect your backside when roving for chub etc, or in Sky's case, a dog bed when roach fishing on the reservoir.

Cheers Nick, I'll pick up a cheap mat off a mate who runs a unit seeling fishing gear and keep in the boot. Better safe than sorry.

After an 8 month hiatus from catching fish I was more than pleased to get the net under this pair last weekend. Caught off two different spots which was satisfying the bottom one fought like a big fish too, really slow and ploddy and stayed deep, if I had lost it I would've sworn it was a monster. 

IMG_20230513_112725.thumb.jpg.29b4ce14cfc139c05bf750278f4459c3.jpgIMG_20230514_084854.thumb.jpg.fa37a96c27c6a64619162864923ddc0c.jpg