DIY deeper range extender

If like me you get fed up with your deeper cutting out at well below stayed range, then this may be of interest. What you need 

Vonets Vap11s WiFi extender, amazon was cheapest I found £35.68 

Power bank to run it from, (i need a fast charge one) 

Phone and a comp for setting it up, 

And I've made a case for mine using an old bite alarm case, 

I drilled 3 holes for the ariels (but you only need two one was wrong ) 😂

When the ariels are screwed on this holds it in place nicely, 

IMG_20230410_171339.thumb.jpg.09f1464a1d2def514d9585b91c77bd08.jpg

Then I found an old butt grip, drilled a hole so it had to be wound through and this will be to attach to a storm pole, 

With ariels 

IMG_20230410_171422.thumb.jpg.8e78717a85809da4b7a97ef215a40ed3.jpg

Tbc 

IMG_20230410_171329.jpg

This video goes through the set up of the range extender on your computer, you only need to do this once. 

One thing I learnt the hard way was that your firewall will probably block it, 

I just turned mine off while I set it up. You will need your deeper on charge or In a glass of water while you set it up so it can connect, 

You only need to set it up once on the computer then you can connect to it from your phone when it is powered by the power bank, 

As of yet it is untested but others that have used it have reached distances of 180m + 

But it is about 5 times cheaper than the deeper one

21 hours ago, elmoputney said:

You only need to set it up once on the computer then you can connect to it from your phone when it is powered by the power bank, 

As of yet it is untested but others that have used it have reached distances of 180m + 

But it is about 5 times cheaper than the deeper one

You've done well there mate - good skills and saved yourself a small fortune I imagine 👍

51 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

You've done well there mate - good skills and saved yourself a small fortune I imagine 👍

As long as it works properly 😂

I spent £35 quid for the range extender, the deeper one is about £170 I think, there are alternatives but mainly they are about £100 ish so hopefully it's a saving, I'm waiting for a bait boat mount from frameys mate at the minute, then I can properly test it out 

13 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Just solved the phone /tablet holder issue rather than another bodge job 😂

this should attach itself nicely to the storm pole and stay putScreenshot_20230411_184629.thumb.jpg.f0bab9b7708ca793d5288e39474832e6.jpg

Some of those holders have a screw thread on the bottom that screws onto a camera adaptor

7 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Some of those holders have a screw thread on the bottom that screws onto a camera adaptor

Do you mean a thread like the Gardner camera adaptor so it would be like a bankstick conversion? 

Only downside if so would be I would then need another storm pole or camera tripod as the box is already attached to one, although to be fair I do always have my tripod in the rod bag and  it doesn't get used very often, probably rusty Infact it hasn't been out so long 😂

34 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Do you mean a thread like the Gardner camera adaptor so it would be like a bankstick conversion? 

Only downside if so would be I would then need another storm pole or camera tripod as the box is already attached to one, although to be fair I do always have my tripod in the rod bag and  it doesn't get used very often, probably rusty Infact it hasn't been out so long 😂

Yes exactly like the Gardner jobbie

On 12/04/2023 at 16:37, elmoputney said:

storm pole or camera tripod as the box is already attached to one, although to be fair I do always have my tripod in the rod bag and  it doesn't get used very often, probably rusty Infact it hasn't been out so long 😂

Mine is on a large diameter storm stick, which during the day doubles as Sky tether, although the end has a definite curve where she managed to pull it out of the ground.

A husky, 0-20mph in 5steps...

At night she has her long lead attached under my  bedchair feet.

I was looking for my phone mount in my rucksack to put up a picture, but think it is in my pike bag.

Couple of ebay links for you:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195553759343

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155409607617

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Mine is on a large diameter storm stick, which during the day doubles as Sky tether, although the end has a definite curve where she managed to pull it out of the ground.

A husky, 0-20mph in 5steps...

At night she has her long lead attached under my  bedchair feet.

I was looking for my phone mount in my rucksack to put up a picture, but think it is in my pike bag.

Couple of ebay links for you:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195553759343

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155409607617

Thanks

The 2nd one is the one I have for my phone, 

I actually went out to have a play with the range extender tonight, after a couple of teething troubles, I took it out the case tightened the antenna a bit more and it seemed to work much better, need to drill the holes out to push the antenna through but I did find a cracking looking spot which could be reached from a couple of swims, not sure it will reach 300m but it will definately go far enough for most of the situations I will find myself in, 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@elmoputney@elmoputney I can't view the setup video as it says its private. I set up my vonets today and thought all was good... However, when I got to the bank and connected to that with the phone, I couldn't connect to the deeper until I changed the WiFi from the vonets to the deeper itself. I guess this wiped out all use for the vonets as it wasn't connected to anything technically?

When I set up originally a didn't change the ssd of the vonets and instead left it as deeper_chirp664_Von (the von bit being extra to the deeper ssd). Should this be exactly same as deeper ssd? 

I changed the option for WiFi hot-spot to disable, thinking a bridge would work but not sure about that all! 

Could you post instructions for setting up the vonets please?

18 minutes ago, Airwan said:

@elmoputney@elmoputney I can't view the setup video as it says its private. I set up my vonets today and thought all was good... However, when I got to the bank and connected to that with the phone, I couldn't connect to the deeper until I changed the WiFi from the vonets to the deeper itself. I guess this wiped out all use for the vonets as it wasn't connected to anything technically?

When I set up originally a didn't change the ssd of the vonets and instead left it as deeper_chirp664_Von (the von bit being extra to the deeper ssd). Should this be exactly same as deeper ssd? 

I changed the option for WiFi hot-spot to disable, thinking a bridge would work but not sure about that all! 

Could you post instructions for setting up the vonets please?

Did you set up the Deeper on the computer giving it one number higher? 

When mine Is on I can connect to my deeper or the Deeper via vonets 

Say your deeper is called deeper+ 634, you need to set up the vonets on your comp to say deeper+635 (one higher) 

That video seems to have disappeared, 

I randomly remembered saving this post on fb it might help you but it's been a while now and I can't really remember exactly 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/3766590923374157/permalink/6542213902478498/

13 minutes ago, Airwan said:

Yeah, I got all setup no probs on the computer. Only difference was I didn't use one number up. Will try that and see if it helps! 

Thanks so much for the reply and being super fast too!

No worries hope you get it sorted. If you put your deeper in a jug of water you can get it all connected with your phone whilst at home 

Massive thanks elmoputty! just changing the last number on the SSD made all the difference! All appears to connect happily now - I just need to test on the bank! 

To be fair, with hindsight, the whole thing is really simple (if it wasn't for that minute detail) and I dont understand why more people dont take this option!

Thanks again! 

58 minutes ago, Airwan said:

Massive thanks elmoputty! just changing the last number on the SSD made all the difference! All appears to connect happily now - I just need to test on the bank! 

To be fair, with hindsight, the whole thing is really simple (if it wasn't for that minute detail) and I dont understand why more people dont take this option!

Thanks again! 

Glad you got it sorted, hopefully it will work everytime now, mine has been fine since I got it set up. And yes compared to the price of a deeper range extender great value for money. 

• 4 weeks later...