Shimano TX4 13ft

Slightly off topic, but I'm looking at getting Shimano TX4 13ft rods. £140 each is within my budget, obviously with new 13ft bag to put them in.

Reviews look good.

Has anyone had any experience of them?

Or, can I get better rods from another brand?

Thanks

6 hours ago, commonly said:

So, a mate who's a great angler, says I shouldn't get Shimano rods,  instead go for the free spirit Helical 13 ft. 

Similarly priced, very low end from their average price range. 

Any thoughts appreciated gents???

Is there a reason for 13ft rods over a 12ft?

Shimano rods are actually very much underrated, and have been for years.

Terry Edmonds was consultant when these were brought out, and he was casting them big distances.

I'd actually have a close look at the Free Spirit rods in the flesh before buying. Put the rods together and line them up.

4 hours ago, B B said:

What was the reason your mate gave for not getting a Shimano rod ?

He seems to think free spirit are better. He has custom hi s's. Well out of my price range🤑

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Is there a reason for 13ft rods over a 12ft?

I only plan to fish at the reservoir, where distance is a factor. More often than not, I don't take my rigs out on the boat.

I'm in the usual situation, of sods law, where no local shops have either rod to look at in the flesh. AD is an hour away, with only TX2s or 9s & Tackle Box has free spirits, but that's an hour away in the opposite direction.

2 hours ago, commonly said:

He seems to think free spirit are better. He has custom hi s's. Well out of my price range🤑

I only plan to fish at the reservoir, where distance is a factor. More often than not, I don't take my rigs out on the boat.

I'm in the usual situation, of sods law, where no local shops have either rod to look at in the flesh. AD is an hour away, with only TX2s or 9s & Tackle Box has free spirits, but that's an hour away in the opposite direction.

Based on Tackle Box being an hour away, go a little further North, or round the M25,  Johnson Ross in Hoddesdon are showing stock of both.

Free Spirit, custom built lovely, but expensive. Standard build , I recall @sharpy86 getting a set where the tips actually curved to one side, hence my point about seeing them. I think his were online delivery.

While in theory 13ft may improve your distance, it is down to your casting style and technique. If you haven't got the style you may be better off with 12ft.

I haven't used a 13ft rod for carp fishing, but with 12's I know I'm hitting well over 150 at the moment.

3 hours ago, commonly said:

I also need to upgrade the reels from aerlex 10000 baitrunners, but they will have to wait for now.

The XTB version?

I'd keep them unless there is a genuine advance or upgrade.

I'm still using Beastmaster XTA 7000's which must be 7 years old and were around £60.

I had the choice of more expensive reels in the shop, and after playing the Beastmasters were better than more expensive Shimano reels. 

12 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The XTB version?

I'd keep them unless there is a genuine advance or upgrade.

From memory (9 years ago) they were around £160 each from Eric's stand at the big one. They are great, can't fault them. I'm not one for selling things. So will keep hold of them.

I've seen guys going about half a mile on the boat and dropping their rigs. I'm never going to get that sort of range from my baitrunners.

So, as with the longer rods, I have felt a natural progression to upgrade my standard fishing gear, to big water type gear.

Maybe next year I can afford the bigger reels🤞

The bailiff uses a toilet cistern float as a marker. I've not gone down that route as I'm not going out that far, yet!

I've always considered this ticket as a long term campaign. I think I've only managed 7 x 48 hrs this season. Currently, I can't afford to put the time in, but I'm slowly starting to build up my knowledge. 

Always worth having a waddle in the shop, maybe put your reel on the rod to. 
iv even got the owner of the tackle shop to tie a 2oz weight on the top ring to see the action of the rod, which funnily enough was a Shimano Stradic feeder rod. Alan Scotthorne was with Shimano then so going back a bit.