Newbie questions / dwarf rods - any good?

Hello

First post, just joined, so apologies in advance for lots of potentially noddy questions :-)

Been years since I last fished, and I'm hooked again.

1. I got myself a Leeda 11ft float road, and went up to Manor Farms Lake north of Biggleswade. Had a great afternoon fishing with Stu the coach. Landed a 9lb card (on Stu's rod to be fair)

2. I have 4lb line and size 18 hooks. Dear God they are fiddly in the cold!

3. Was thinking about getting a second shorter rod (Like a Dwarf 9' for portability as much as anything) and upping hook size to say at 12, line 10lbs. Does that balance out, and are Dward rods any good?

Thoughts?

P.

49 minutes ago, Mr Shelby said:

Hello

First post, just joined, so apologies in advance for lots of potentially noddy questions :-)

1. I got myself a Leeda 11ft float road, and went up to Manor Farms Lake north of Biggleswade. Had a great afternoon fishing with Stu the coach. Landed a 9lb card (on Stu's rod to be fair)

3. Was thinking about getting a second shorter rod (Like a Dwarf 9' for portability as much as anything) and upping hook size to say at 12, line 10lbs. Does that balance out, and are Dward rods any good?

Thoughts?

P.

Hi mate I got 2 2.75lb tc 9ft nash Dwarf rods and I love them. They are awesome little rods, I've paired them with nash bait runners loaded with 10lb daiwa sensor line. I use them for most of my carp fishing 👍

Heres a video on the basics of setting up a carp rod👍

Got a pair of 9' 2.75lbers... cracking rods for the money... avoid the Scopes, overpriced and a bit brittle in the tip

Dwarfs are great on smaller waters but despite a lot of nay-sayers they can hit 100 yards plus in the 3.25/3.5lb versions... the only limitation that I've found is line pick up at range, a 12 footer will pick up line better

My own rods were bought as I fish smaller more intimate waters and I rarely chuck long, about 70yards max for me... last I saw the Dwarfs were going for about £80 new and there are plenty about second hand...

I use Shimano 4000Aero X reels on mine  or a Wychwood 5500QD... I'd not go larger tjan a 5500 size reel as they'd just be unbalanced

10 hours ago, Mr Shelby said:

Hello

Thoughts?

P.

Most of the tackle manufacturers make a retractable rod of some description 

even drennan have entered the market under the esp banner

shop around and see what takes your fancy 👍

23 hours ago, Mr Shelby said:

Hello

Thoughts?

P.

Welcome to carp.com 

Your float rod sounds good for mixed fisheries. If you have problems with small hooks, try ready tied hook to nylon hooklinks. I use them quite a bit when I'm fishing for smaller silver fish, a size 18 is usually on 1.6-2.6lb line, for better presentation of smaller baits like maggots.

I tend to have a rough guide of hook size to breaking strain hooklink although what you are fishing for will make a difference:

Size 16 2.6lb 

Size 14 3.6lb

Size 10 and 12 5lb

This is for mostly silver fish and smaller species, although with carp, chub and tench I might well increase this, depending on the water, if its snaggy, or bigger fish regularly expected.

I also use a minimum of 8lb when fishing for carp to double figures.