Jealousy in carp fishing! Seriously is it this bad ?

Danny Hearn

Honestly people I’m on a winter syndicate ticket right and I just cannot believe the jealousy of some people. What the hell is it all about? I can’t understand it myself.

1 guy had it off in January this year it was his first year on the ticket. I don’t know if he cheated in any way or he was lucky or he is just an experienced talented angler.

Anyhow he caught a few fish when the rest of us were struggling and end of day he has enjoyed himself so good luck to him. Know what I mean ?( some people are saying he used drone ) Even if he netted them I don’t care. I prefer to focus on what I’m doing not get all caught up trying to copy or discredit others.

So he put his photos up on our whatysapp group as he’s not going to be fishing anymore this winter and straight away an angler commented saying these photos have been on Facebook for weeks. Then he commented again saying everyone has already seen them. He is right I had already seen them and I don’t even have Facebook but what’s the need to say this ? 

seriously someone help me here like what is that all about? Am I missing something? Should he not have put his pics up ? Last year this particular angler commenting blanked all winter but the winter before he caught what he claims was a lake record from the smaller lake on site and put his pics up so???  Is it me ? I have only just looked back through the chat and seen what he said just now so I liked all the pics the guy put up and I’m the only person who has.

Then I look further down the chat and the same angler ( not the angler who has caught, the one leaving comments) puts up on the group that he has noticed someone fishing a swim that has been closed due to low water levels! This same angler breaks rules by using drones, fishing at night in areas which is not allowed and uses a bait boat when it’s not allowed. Like seriously people am I missing something here? I am quite naive at times so I wouldn’t be shocked if I am. how can some people grass on people when they break rules them self ? This can’t be ok 

I have nobody else to talk to about it so I thought I would again fall back to asking on here. I love this chat room I really do it’s like a life saver for me.

the worst thing about it all is i considere this angler to be a mate and people on the ticket see him as my mate. It’s embarrassing to be honest. 

Any of you who have been in correspondence with me since I been on this chat room will know I only been back in the game for a few years so any reply I will appreciate and will learn from.

Danny Hearn 

Mate still reading the tread but I couldn't agree more, personally I find the pettiness funny and will wide people up.

It's a hobby for me if I ever felt serious about angling I wouldn't do it, when you are not in tune with the Korda/Nash mindset you will be looked upon as a new comer to angling that is a danger to the stock, I had to buy some green fishing brand clothing on one water just to look the part, I would of thought working my way through the stars of the lake and putting them back unharmed with minimal tackle and a very casual approach would be fine.

On 09/03/2023 at 23:58, Danny Hearn said:

Honestly people I’m on a winter syndicate ticket right and I just cannot believe the jealousy of some people. What the hell is it all about? I can’t understand it myself.

1 guy had it off in January this year it was his first year on the ticket. I don’t know if he cheated in any way or he was lucky or he is just an experienced talented angler.

Anyhow he caught a few fish when the rest of us were struggling and end of day he has enjoyed himself so good luck to him. Know what I mean ?( some people are saying he used drone ) Even if he netted them I don’t care. I prefer to focus on what I’m doing not get all caught up trying to copy or discredit others.

So he put his photos up on our whatysapp group as he’s not going to be fishing anymore this winter and straight away an angler commented saying these photos have been on Facebook for weeks. Then he commented again saying everyone has already seen them. He is right I had already seen them and I don’t even have Facebook but what’s the need to say this ? 

seriously someone help me here like what is that all about? Am I missing something? Should he not have put his pics up ? Last year this particular angler commenting blanked all winter but the winter before he caught what he claims was a lake record from the smaller lake on site and put his pics up so???  Is it me ? I have only just looked back through the chat and seen what he said just now so I liked all the pics the guy put up and I’m the only person who has.

Then I look further down the chat and the same angler ( not the angler who has caught, the one leaving comments) puts up on the group that he has noticed someone fishing a swim that has been closed due to low water levels! This same angler breaks rules by using drones, fishing at night in areas which is not allowed and uses a bait boat when it’s not allowed. Like seriously people am I missing something here? I am quite naive at times so I wouldn’t be shocked if I am. how can some people grass on people when they break rules them self ? This can’t be ok 

I have nobody else to talk to about it so I thought I would again fall back to asking on here. I love this chat room I really do it’s like a life saver for me.

the worst thing about it all is i considere this angler to be a mate and people on the ticket see him as my mate. It’s embarrassing to be honest. 

Any of you who have been in correspondence with me since I been on this chat room will know I only been back in the game for a few years so any reply I will appreciate and will learn from.

Danny Hearn 

Jealousy:

Those who blank due to their lack of effort, watercraft or skill will sometimes break rules to try to make up for it.

They can also be the first person to complain about someone breaking rules. 

Rules themselves

Some are in place for fish or angler welfare, some are misguided, some for genuine reasons.

No particles, no peanuts and tiger for instance could be to prevent incorrectly or non prepared baits, overuse/ too much going in. It can be to stop inexperienced or ignorant* anglers using unprepared particles, and potentially damaging fish.

*Ignorant in this case is used as someone who does not know how to prepare them, not as someone who simply doesn't care.

All fish captures must be recorded or given to the syndicate manager, on the website or Facebook group. This one can be open to interpretation and is one I'm used to, as it is in place on my syndicate. We have to put pics up, but we are given a 'time', of the end of the fortnight. We do tend to stretch it as much as we can as if you have baited and worked a swim up, you don’t want a swim jumper going off your hard work. 

Some people can recognise a particular swim on a lake by background features, if the picture is straight on the site they jump in as soon as the successful angler has left, stopping the successful angler getting back in there.

My own pictures I might put straight on my FB newsfeed, I've got angler friends who might be interested in my catches, but I can hold onto them to put them on the syndicate page. Not everyone in the syndicate is on my friends list, although some are, (the ones I trust). The syndicate manager is also aware of this, so gave us grace as long as he knows about the capture.

No plastic or fake baits. The obvious worry of using a bait that does not break down in the event of a break-off. I've seen fish tethered from picking up plastic baits still attached to a length of line. At least a real bait can come off or break down. Plus the pollution from a piece of plastic.

I can't claim to be innocent as I am sure, no positive, I have broken fishery rules. For example on Nazeing there was a 'No wading or swimming' rule. I broke that a few times going in to retrieve snagged fish or end tackle. One fish I had to play out from an undercut bank to my right, the only way was to be in the water. The Bailiff actually saw me, but his view was that the fish was not left wrapped around tree roots and possibly tethered. 

A syndicate is only as good as its members, one member who is a troublemaker can spoil it for everyone else, or just alienate themselves. My advice, avoid or ignore them. If you have to keep to yourself, be polite, just don't give anything away, or don't tell everything. That may mean cutting out background on your pictures, baiting up when no-one is around, or occasionally passing on a blind lead.

Passing on a blind lead; a funny one. I was pre-baiting a new swim as I left when someone I knew who was a swim jumper was on the lake watching me with binoculars. I swapped buckets and Spombed in a bucket of floating dog biscuits in molehill soil to take them to the bottom. By the time I had gotten back to the car park with my gear he had jumped into the swim. Sadly he blanked and got plagued with ducks...

I find the more kit a person brings the more frustration they get when things don't work out I got a heck of a lot of real nice thirties in the album and I do put a lot of effort into that, some of my park lake fish are real stunners share a few with Mr all the gear and you get a load of snide remarks, don't fish long range, being too chilled in my approach, always getting to the favourite peg? Hay if it's empty... lol.

Always found that one a bit strange your moaning about someone being super aware of anglers arrival and leaving times to get a decent peg.

6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Jealousy:

Those who blank due to their lack of effort, watercraft or skill will sometimes break rules to try to make up for it.

They can also be the first person to complain about someone breaking rules. 

Rules themselves

Some are in place for fish or angler welfare, some are misguided, some for genuine reasons.

No particles, no peanuts and tiger for instance could be to prevent incorrectly or non prepared baits, overuse/ too much going in. It can be to stop inexperienced or ignorant* anglers using unprepared particles, and potentially damaging fish.

*Ignorant in this case is used as someone who does not know how to prepare them, not as someone who simply doesn't care.

All fish captures must be recorded or given to the syndicate manager, on the website or Facebook group. This one can be open to interpretation and is one I'm used to, as it is in place on my syndicate. We have to put pics up, but we are given a 'time', of the end of the fortnight. We do tend to stretch it as much as we can as if you have baited and worked a swim up, you don’t want a swim jumper going off your hard work. 

Some people can recognise a particular swim on a lake by background features, if the picture is straight on the site they jump in as soon as the successful angler has left, stopping the successful angler getting back in there.

My own pictures I might put straight on my FB newsfeed, I've got angler friends who might be interested in my catches, but I can hold onto them to put them on the syndicate page. Not everyone in the syndicate is on my friends list, although some are, (the ones I trust). The syndicate manager is also aware of this, so gave us grace as long as he knows about the capture.

No plastic or fake baits. The obvious worry of using a bait that does not break down in the event of a break-off. I've seen fish tethered from picking up plastic baits still attached to a length of line. At least a real bait can come off or break down. Plus the pollution from a piece of plastic.

I can't claim to be innocent as I am sure, no positive, I have broken fishery rules. For example on Nazeing there was a 'No wading or swimming' rule. I broke that a few times going in to retrieve snagged fish or end tackle. One fish I had to play out from an undercut bank to my right, the only way was to be in the water. The Bailiff actually saw me, but his view was that the fish was not left wrapped around tree roots and possibly tethered. 

A syndicate is only as good as its members, one member who is a troublemaker can spoil it for everyone else, or just alienate themselves. My advice, avoid or ignore them. If you have to keep to yourself, be polite, just don't give anything away, or don't tell everything. That may mean cutting out background on your pictures, baiting up when no-one is around, or occasionally passing on a blind lead.

Passing on a blind lead; a funny one. I was pre-baiting a new swim as I left when someone I knew who was a swim jumper was on the lake watching me with binoculars. I swapped buckets and Spombed in a bucket of floating dog biscuits in molehill soil to take them to the bottom. By the time I had gotten back to the car park with my gear he had jumped into the swim. Sadly he blanked and got plagued with ducks...

Passing on a blind lead 🤣I like that one.

5 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

I find the more kit a person brings the more frustration they get when things don't work out I got a heck of a lot of real nice thirties in the album and I do put a lot of effort into that, some of my park lake fish are real stunners share a few with Mr all the gear and you get a load of snide remarks, don't fish long range, being too chilled in my approach, always getting to the favourite peg? Hay if it's empty... lol.

Always found that one a bit strange your moaning about someone being super aware of anglers arrival and leaving times to get a decent peg.

Yeah that’s another 1 this particular angler thinks he can turn up half hour early then another angler turns up 15 mins early and they both have it out on the bank about how it is or it isn’t fair 🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

Yeah you’re right these anglers breaking rules and grassing each other do seem to think they don’t need to work hard. As they talk at you (not with you) they seem to talk about how easy it’s going to be for them 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve been a victim of jealousy, it got so stupid, I stopped fishing there, moved on and got the same issues on the next lake! I did a winter on a local park lake that I know like the back of my hand - during one particular winter, I stayed on, putting the time in, blank after blank while everyone pulled off. Then I started stringing some captures together but kept it to myself - peg piracy was another issue, however one session, the bailiff was down while I had a take, he commented how this was the first fish out all winter, I then confessed to this being my 6th fish out! Word was out after that and other anglers started fishing again. I was still able to catch while others were blanking, the snide remarks started - then accusations I was using leadcore (which I wasn’t as it’s banned) I had spot checks on rigs - nothing untoward found - I then found anglers taking leadcore rigs to the bailiffs saying they had recovered from my swim! Bailiff took one look, said that they weren’t mine and put a stop to that nonsense, the green eyes still kept on it, I got a call from the club secretary saying I had been seen standing on an outflow pipe in the out of bounds area - I asked what day this was, turned out I was 150 miles away driving an ambulance car around central England! I had to show my time sheets and shift rota to the secretary to prove I was nowhere near the place in question at the time. I moved on to a small syndicate after that where I had a cracking start, landing the mythical big common at over 31lb, soon after that, one angler started casting over me, casting onto my baited areas while I was fishing them, even went to the lengths of pretending to be a bailiff and tried to quote fake rules (that I would be in contravention of) and then tried to chuck me off the lake! I had to call the real bailiff to come and sort it all out. I pulled off there in the end, it was getting far too busy, now I am looking for a new water, but having a newborn at home means that nighting it takes a back seat, I get my fix with a bit of piking in the winter and bass fishing in the spring/summer. Life is too short to get wrapped up in jealousy, I just fish for myself and move on if I find I no longer enjoy it. I’m currently wandering along a nice little canal that rumour has it is home to the odd carp, no one on it - sounds like heaven! 

• 1 year later...

@^^

back in 82' i remember reading KM's book or article and him saying, never be jealous of someones results, as you can do just as well if you put the effort in. so true,

imo, back in the day it was no where near as bad with the green giant aspect ...compared to today...with instant so called carp anglers, never having read the above memo!