Baiting poles good idea or gimmick?

i know most folks use either a bait boat or spomb but as a complete leisure/pleasure angler i fish a small local water that has some good margins with a few decent sized carp coming from them and have been thinking of a baiting pole for targetting these properly. looking at the prices has put me off a bit of taking the plunge but wondered about going down the whole home made shed project route as far cheaper and will be a bit of fun trying to get it right.

i just wondered if any of you wonderfully helpful lot have had any experience using one and if they are worth the effort as would only be looking at around 12 meters to get things where i want them to be and tubing and connectors including a bit of expanding foam are not a great stretch on a budget?

7 hours ago, B B said:

This vid shows you how to make one on a budget the guy puts out some good vids using one.

Its well worth watching the mk2 version to see the improvements he made too,

I opted for a boat in the end as i felt is was a better all rounder for me but I seriously considered one of these 

https://www.allthings3d.co.uk/product-page/allthings3d-baiting-pole-configurator

I was thinking about buying a baiting pole myself but ended up getting a bait boat. It's the restriction of not being able to bait past 11m, so my spots would of been limited. 

If you want a cheap baiting pole I wouldn't bother faffing about with trying to make one, I would buy an old match pole off of gumtree or marketplace and convert the top section, I don't think it would be too hard 👍

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

I was thinking about buying a baiting pole myself but ended up getting a bait boat. It's the restriction of not being able to bait past 11m, so my spots would of been limited. 

If you want a cheap baiting pole I wouldn't bother faffing about with trying to make one, I would buy an old match pole off of gumtree or marketplace and convert the top section, I don't think it would be too hard 👍

i think that was part of my plan as part of me just fancied another project instead of constantly repairing my lads moped, the idea of an old match pole sounds good and adapting a top kit can be easy enough.👍

7 minutes ago, barry211 said:

i think that was part of my plan as part of me just fancied another project instead of constantly repairing my lads moped, the idea of an old match pole sounds good and adapting a top kit can be easy enough.👍

The thing that put me off a match pole is what will you do if you do want more length, it's not going to be as easy to make more sections, if you are going to DIY it  I would go similar to the mk2 but tbh I worked out by the time I had faffed about and made it the allthings 3d one wasn't bad value, and you get a nicer spoon and stuff with it 

Got a baiting pole and bait boat, don't use either much but I love both.

Baiting pole can get closer to trees and under branches that a boat cannot, also a lot quieter with no motor noise.  The Nash one is the nuts as it's stable and limitless in length, I've got nearly 50 metres.

The stealth side of it is amazing - dropping a rig on a bubbler cannot be beaten and for accuracy, only downside using in a heavy crosswind could be frustrating and having enough space behind for the made up sections.

If you've pole fished in the match scene that will be useful experience. 👍

5 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Got a baiting pole and bait boat, don't use either much but I love both.

Baiting pole can get closer to trees and under branches that a boat cannot, also a lot quieter with no motor noise.  The Nash one is the nuts as it's stable and limitless in length, I've got nearly 50 metres.

The stealth side of it is amazing - dropping a rig on a bubbler cannot be beaten and for accuracy, only downside using in a heavy crosswind could be frustrating and having enough space behind for the made up sections.

If you've pole fished in the match scene that will be useful experience. 👍

I often wonder why you don't see more pole rollers about, makes perfect sense to me, I would if I was going to use a baiting pole 

9 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I often wonder why you don't see more pole rollers about, makes perfect sense to me, I would if I was going to use a baiting pole 

my daughter has a pole roller and sock thing for hers when she comes with me, i would look at using the excuse of upgrading hers so i can butcher the one she has but its only 8m so too short for what i need :( wondering though if i can convince my wife that she needs a larger one and then just convert it and say daughter didn't get on with it but that could be skating on thin ice as trying to avoid getting told off for spending more money on fishing gear

23 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Was the first thing I thought but still not sorted one out deffo useful and protects the pole from grit, slight prob is that you might be moving it a lot, the angles you use through the day can change a little with the effects of the breeze, you can be relying on getting it out there quick and straight then drifting onto the spot with the breeze and that doesn't always go right first time either.

Edited by kevtaylor

9 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Was the first thing I thought but still not sorted one out deffo useful and protects the pole from grit, slight prob is that you might be moving it a lot, the angles you use through the day can change a little with the effects of the breeze, you can be relying on getting it out there quick and straight then drifting onto the spot with the breeze and that doesn't always go right first time either.

I just thought if you could get one of those wideboy type pole rollers maybe you could rest them all on it  in shorter manageable lengths put them together as you ship it out, and it may make it simpler possibly, they do some kind of like a rod pod nowadays with banksticks as legs 

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

I just thought if you could get one of those wideboy type pole rollers maybe you could rest them all on it  in shorter manageable lengths put them together as you ship it out, and it may make it simpler possibly, they do some kind of like a rod pod nowadays with banksticks as legs 

Maybe 2 bank sticks with cord strung across the 2 

15 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

30 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Was the first thing I thought but still not sorted one out deffo useful and protects the pole from grit, slight prob is that you might be moving it a lot

Gardner tripod and Dinmores pole roller rest