ZR Hooks

11 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Long shank curved hooks causing mouth damage

I can remember vividly back in the day double hooking a small carp the hook had went in both lips had to snip the hook with cutters, could have been using Esp Raptors long shanks  🤔 that was the last time I used a long shank 

23 hours ago, crusian said:

Thanks , Nick .

😃

Yes , double hooking , as opposed to my normal apply light pressure to the hook , and the carp is unhooked .

Sounds like sidecutters time!

A right pain in the rectum, not nice to deal with.

I've snipped a few hooks over the years, the 28lb 2tone from Nazeing was hooked hard, and it was safer to snip the hook, but that is the only big fish I can remember. That was on a curved longshank pattern as well.

I seem to recall snipping a few Patridge Piggybacks.

On 25/01/2023 at 16:51, elmoputney said:

I would certainly try it and see how they go I believe its been tested on a very tricky water near me with good results, for me I would prefer a smell to a hook that may have gone rusty overnight (it has happened to me) it's also why I don't use sharpened all the time, I think you may be Overthinking it, I remember the first time I used coloured kickers on my ronnie rig, i was thinking this is never gonna work but now I love a pink kicker, works a treat 😏

I would test one against a non coated one at least see if it rusts or not 

It didn’t rust by the way which was great. At the time I had flu and couldn’t smell or taste anything so I gave the hooks I had sharpened and smothered with the stuff  to a friend because we was both excited about the stuff prior to buying it. He was disgusted with the smell firstly and secondly I think I realised he’s not as keen in his own testing as me. I wanted to see if the smell left the hook after a while but he didn’t wanna go right into it like me. Obviously no reason why I can’t start again from scratch .I would have liked to see if the smell left the hook after a while. I would have rubbed my finger on it after 4 days and smelled and tasted it. If it’s the case that the smell does leave the hook I suppose I would be happy to use hooks that have been soaked for x amount of time but im still getting that little niggle of doubt like if a dogs sense of smell can be 1000 times better than ours what might a Carps be ?

no way would I ever be coating the hooks and using them straight away. We all blank but if I was using this stuff on my hooks I would terrorise myself thinking that’s why.

some of us go deeper into this stuff than others and I admit some of us may be doing our own heads in. You gotta do what makes you happy. 

50 minutes ago, Danny Hearn said:

It didn’t rust by the way which was great. At the time I had flu and couldn’t smell or taste anything so I gave the hooks I had sharpened and smothered with the stuff  to a friend because we was both excited about the stuff prior to buying it. He was disgusted with the smell firstly and secondly I think I realised he’s not as keen in his own testing as me. I wanted to see if the smell left the hook after a while but he didn’t wanna go right into it like me. Obviously no reason why I can’t start again from scratch .I would have liked to see if the smell left the hook after a while. I would have rubbed my finger on it after 4 days and smelled and tasted it. If it’s the case that the smell does leave the hook I suppose I would be happy to use hooks that have been soaked for x amount of time but im still getting that little niggle of doubt like if a dogs sense of smell can be 1000 times better than ours what might a Carps be ?

no way would I ever be coating the hooks and using them straight away. We all blank but if I was using this stuff on my hooks I would terrorise myself thinking that’s why.

some of us go deeper into this stuff than others and I admit some of us may be doing our own heads in. You gotta do what makes you happy. 

I'm a professional overthinker but I like tinkering with things, I would use that stuff without worrying too much tbh, ultimately it won't be worse than a corroded hookpoint, maybe do it advance like you say but if it means you still have a sharp hook point the next morning it's worth it, and if they have got close enough to find out with a sharp hook it's probably too late for them anyway 

21 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I'm a professional overthinker but I like tinkering with things, I would use that stuff without worrying too much tbh, ultimately it won't be worse than a corroded hookpoint, maybe do it advance like you say but if it means you still have a sharp hook point the next morning it's worth it, and if they have got close enough to find out with a sharp hook it's probably too late for them anyway 

Professional overthinker?

I worry about my smell affecting hooks and bait!

Now I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I'm not 100% sure you need the hook stuff. I've seen some lakes where a hook goes out sharp at night, when you reel in in the morning you can see that it is blunter. It is on those waters where a dab of Vaseline or this stuff might protect the point.

51 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Now I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I'm not 100% sure you need the hook stuff. I've seen some lakes where a hook goes out sharp at night, when you reel in in the morning you can see that it is blunter. It is on those waters where a dab of Vaseline or this stuff might protect the point.

Used to when I smoked doesn't worry me so much now, tbh I can't change what I do that much, I did spod with a nitrile glove on last week but that was more because I didn't want to get spod juice in my spider bite, I quite enjoyed having clean hands still afterwards though lol might be worth considering 😂

19 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I’m the same I acquired the nick name the rapist on my syndicate because I’m often caught walking around in them disposable gloves. I wear them every time I handle the rig. 

also I have used Vaseline, and permanent marker, I thought ZR hooks was going to solve all my issues. The smell is unreal I don’t think people should be commenting until they have a whiff of it themselves. Honestly it’s shocking can’t imagine what it might taste like

On 13/02/2023 at 12:38, Danny Hearn said:

I’m the same I acquired the nick name the rapist on my syndicate because I’m often caught walking around in them disposable gloves. I wear them every time I handle the rig. 

also I have used Vaseline, and permanent marker, I thought ZR hooks was going to solve all my issues. The smell is unreal I don’t think people should be commenting until they have a whiff of it themselves. Honestly it’s shocking can’t imagine what it might taste like

I don't do the gloves, but I do check the hookpoints.

I bait the hook/hair with my bait, and leave that bait on the whole trip, or if getting takes, until it is unusable and pulled off the hook. I sometimes even take the bait off at the end of a session and use it next time.

I'm wary of the smell of superglue, never gluing my knots, but if it is a water with blunting properties without burring the hook over on a snag or gravel, a dash of Lipsyl on the hook tends to sort that out.

On 13/02/2023 at 12:38, Danny Hearn said:

Anyone had a good whiff of this stuff yet?