ZR Hooks

Thanks for your reply I’m sure it does the job but what about this smell it gives off? I usually don’t care about smell I prefer to taste anything I want the carp to eat but I’m a bit worried about tasting this stuff. Also I have pure confidence in my bait I use and now there’s a different smell. I won’t be happy until I have a big hit like I normally do when I wait for the right conditions after prebaiting and dropping in 

8 hours ago, Danny Hearn said:

Also it’s my first time on a carp fishing forum and I’m shocked about how many adverts there are for woman 🤣 can we buy ourselves a bivvy wife here 🤣 what’s it all about 

I think it is targeted advertising, so it depends on what you look at normally on your browser, although mine Is showing something scientific at the minute so it's got that wrong 😂

You will have to let us know how it works, it looks good on the blurb and that I've seen 

50 minutes ago, Danny Hearn said:

Thanks for your reply I’m sure it does the job but what about this smell it gives off? I usually don’t care about smell I prefer to taste anything I want the carp to eat but I’m a bit worried about tasting this stuff. Also I have pure confidence in my bait I use and now there’s a different smell. I won’t be happy until I have a big hit like I normally do when I wait for the right conditions after prebaiting and dropping in 

You could try soaking a coated one in water and see if the smell goes into the water or stays on the hook, is it a sort of boozy or marker pen type smell? 

11 hours ago, elmoputney said:

You could try soaking a coated one in water and see if the smell goes into the water or stays on the hook, is it a sort of boozy or marker pen type smell? 

I would say it’s like an insect repellant kind of smell that’s all I keep thinking as I smell it 

21 hours ago, elmoputney said:

You will perhaps find the smell washed off in water 

Been thinking about it non stop last few days and here’s what I came up with.

so the only bait that will have a taste or smell will be the hook bait.

I will never be using this stuff as I will fear some carp may have been caught on it before and ok maybe we give the fish too much credit in regards to there intelligence but for me it’s too risky and if it could cost me 1 capture I will not be risking it.

none of the freebies will have the smell so how long before the carp work out that the smell/taste is dangerous.

the company claims the smell is an attractant so I’m pretty sure the smell/taste will stay on the hook.

the product is doomed in my opinion 

now what to do with the 20 hooks I just sharpened up and smothered in it 🤣

thanks for your input mate 

I thought fish only had a memory of about 5 seconds or whatever they say …

I really wouldn’t worry about it and just use it 

be interesting to try it in the fly fishing genre as you can use more than one hook there

have you smelt tungsten products????

jag pens smell 

boilies smell and those smells are alien to fish 😉

Edited by framey

13 minutes ago, framey said:

I thought fish only had a memory of about 5 seconds or whatever they say …

I really wouldn’t worry about it and just use it 

be interesting to try it in the fly fishing genre as you can use more than one hook there

have you smelt tungsten products????

jag pens smell 

boilies smell and those smells are alien to fish 😉

Fair point mate but for me it would be too much of a worry.

might give it a go on a runs water but I only normally fish them a couple times a year.

I have been using permanent marker on the hooks before I bought this stuff and that was a worry you are right but this stuff absolutely stinks.

im new to this forum and I’m still getting used to it . I just replied a minute ago but it didn’t come through so don’t be surprised if you get 2 reply’s 🤣

thanks for your input 

19 hours ago, Danny Hearn said:

Been thinking about it non stop last few days and here’s what I came up with.

so the only bait that will have a taste or smell will be the hook bait.

I will never be using this stuff as I will fear some carp may have been caught on it before and ok maybe we give the fish too much credit in regards to there intelligence but for me it’s too risky and if it could cost me 1 capture I will not be risking it.

none of the freebies will have the smell so how long before the carp work out that the smell/taste is dangerous.

the company claims the smell is an attractant so I’m pretty sure the smell/taste will stay on the hook.

the product is doomed in my opinion 

now what to do with the 20 hooks I just sharpened up and smothered in it 🤣

thanks for your input mate 

I would certainly try it and see how they go I believe its been tested on a very tricky water near me with good results, for me I would prefer a smell to a hook that may have gone rusty overnight (it has happened to me) it's also why I don't use sharpened all the time, I think you may be Overthinking it, I remember the first time I used coloured kickers on my ronnie rig, i was thinking this is never gonna work but now I love a pink kicker, works a treat 😏

I would test one against a non coated one at least see if it rusts or not 

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I would certainly try it and see how they go I believe its been tested on a very tricky water near me with good results, for me I would prefer a smell to a hook that may have gone rusty overnight (it has happened to me) it's also why I don't use sharpened all the time, I think you may be Overthinking it, I remember the first time I used coloured kickers on my ronnie rig, i was thinking this is never gonna work but now I love a pink kicker, works a treat 😏

I would test one against a non coated one at least see if it rusts or not 

Oh yes the Korda kamacuras turn black on the tips overnight if you don’t give them some sort of treatment they are all I have used for the last couple years. 

The fact that this stuff stops the hooks from rusting is fantastic don’t get me wrong.

it’s just the fact that the carp will never get to eat a bait which also has this smell to it and not at least get pricked. 

How long it might take for them to work it out I could not say but if they are known to get wary of bright pop ups between spring and summer whats to say they won’t get wary of this pungent scent 

thanks everyone for there input

On 25/01/2023 at 19:49, Danny Hearn said:

Oh yes the Korda kamacuras turn black on the tips overnight if you don’t give them some sort of treatment they are all I have used for the last couple years. 

The fact that this stuff stops the hooks from rusting is fantastic don’t get me wrong.

it’s just the fact that the carp will never get to eat a bait which also has this smell to it and not at least get pricked. 

How long it might take for them to work it out I could not say but if they are known to get wary of bright pop ups between spring and summer whats to say they won’t get wary of this pungent scent 

thanks everyone for there input

As much as I like kamakuras kranks especially, I've had too many turn over, probably from nuisance fish or something, but enough to give me doubts, I've bought some more J precision hooks this year advanced wide gapes and his gape x hooks, not used them yet but they are sharp for unsharpened hooks and look strong and the wide gapes will do everything else I need 

46 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

As much as I like kamakuras kranks especially, I've had too many turn over, probably from nuisance fish or something, but enough to give me doubts, I've bought some more J precision hooks this year advanced wide gapes and his gape x hooks, not used them yet but they are sharp for unsharpened hooks and look strong and the wide gapes will do everything else I need 

Yes mate I know what you mean it’s very annoying and costly.

A good thing for me is the lake I have been fishing for the past 3 years is silt only. there are tonnes of pesky tiddlers in there but to this day I have never had a kamacura hook tip come back bent over and the hooks are always on the bottom never used with pop ups.

although I do get a winter ticket each year on another venue and that lake is predominantly gravel and the kammys do come back in bent over quite a lot of the time unless I’m using pop ups. 

Have you tried using the x versions of the kamacuras? Not Completely hassle free but overall more sturdy. I will only use the x versions now

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Also I’m a tight ass so I hate paying for the kammys that’s why I decided to go down the route of learning to sharpen my own hooks and also because I feel that when using a 4 ounce lead on a lead clip or heli set up the hooks don’t need to be as lethal as the kammys are and at the same time will be more resilient and give me more peace of mind. I feel the same as you worrying about the tips when they been out for a long time.

I bought 100 hooks from a company called bank tackle and I bought the hook doctor from Nash and I went through about 20 of them in practise to become happy enough to never need to buy another pack of wide gape kammys ever again 😉. Works out about 24 p a hook instead of 75p for kammys.

But I will still be using the kamacura chod hooks. They will never come into contact with the bottom and when using a chod rig I always worry about the initial hook up part so until I get really really good with the sharpening I will still be buying them and using them straight out the packet for when I need to use a choddy.

good talking with you mate it’s nice to debait things with someone who does worry as much as I do. I want every fish I can get out here 🤣

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Never heard of j precision hooks I will search them now 🫡

21 hours ago, crusian said:

Elmo is the Aristotle of Carp.com , renowned for being a Great Thinker  😁.

Shooting off at a tangent , I've decided not to use ESP Trig-hammers as they seem to give mouth damage on the size Carp I catch ( doubles ) ; I wonder if this is the case for most long shank hooks 🤔 ? .

😃

Long shank curved hooks causing mouth damage has been a problem on a few waters, even big fish. I think Luke Moffat banned them at Les Graviers, in fact all curved shanks. 

It seems that you may be getting 'double hooking', like the Bent hook rigs used to do.

16 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Long shank curved hooks causing mouth damage has been a problem on a few waters, even big fish. I think Luke Moffat banned them at Les Graviers, in fact all curved shanks. 

It seems that you may be getting 'double hooking', like the Bent hook rigs used to do.

Thanks , Nick .

😃

Yes , double hooking , as opposed to my normal apply light pressure to the hook , and the carp is unhooked .