Quick change solid bag leaders

elmoputney

Dear guys. 

When wanting to use solid bags one of the things that puts me off is the need to use lots of leaders to switch them quickly,they tangle and get knotted when in storage, I have a load of bag stems which I could easily prep but would it be bad to use a splice able leadfree leader with a big loop at one end, so I could just loop to loop the bag stem rather than loop to looping the bag and leader on, thus needing less leaders and an easy change solution? 

I will try and make one later so I can try it, but I just want a quick change solution and I found the tubing doesn't seem to work as it always seems to slide up the line 

53 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Dear guys. 

When wanting to use solid bags one of the things that puts me off is the need to use lots of leaders to switch them quickly,they tangle and get knotted when in storage, I have a load of bag stems which I could easily prep but would it be bad to use a splice able leadfree leader with a big loop at one end, so I could just loop to loop the bag stem rather than loop to looping the bag and leader on, thus needing less leaders and an easy change solution? 

I will try and make one later so I can try it, but I just want a quick change solution and I found the tubing doesn't seem to work as it always seems to slide up the line 

I still make bags up as I use them. The 'time saved' or convenience of a ready tied bag with rig doesn't necessarily suit my fishing.

I don't necessarily want a new bait out there, I want one that 'smells' of the lake, so I dry my rig and bait before recasting.

When I make my bags up with the lead free i wrap the the soft leader around the bag makes a tidy bundle then lay them out in a sandwich Tupperware box with a small amount of ground bait in the bottom … just got to be careful you don’t take a bite out of one  🤔

iv never thought to have a big loop in the lead free leader let us know how it goes  👍

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Dear guys. 

If you are looking to use tubing and still want the quick change element take a look at Gemini Carp Tackle, they do a specific kit for tubing, it contains a connector which slides down over the bag stem whilst gripping the tubing and stopping it sliding up the line. 

1 hour ago, charlieg said:

If you are looking to use tubing and still want the quick change element take a look at Gemini Carp Tackle, they do a specific kit for tubing, it contains a connector which slides down over the bag stem whilst gripping the tubing and stopping it sliding up the line. 

I did try those already but I found the using them a bit of a faff tbh, i like simple lol 

1 hour ago, B B said:

When I make my bags up with the lead free i wrap the the soft leader around the bag makes a tidy bundle then lay them out in a sandwich Tupperware box with a small amount of ground bait in the bottom … just got to be careful you don’t take a bite out of one  🤔

iv never thought to have a big loop in the lead free leader let us know how it goes  👍

No annoyingly I hadn't because I think it works a treat now I've done it 🤔

16699869620743039601461203868022.thumb.jpg.4ca23e951ae552cb5798848f103af65b.jpg16699870115712302518190706867366.thumb.jpg.e301c04b12f1128a9a1ea9f5326a796e.jpg

That makes bag fishing as simple as it can be in my book what do you reckon? 

4 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

No annoyingly I hadn't because I think it works a treat now I've done it 🤔

16699869620743039601461203868022.thumb.jpg.4ca23e951ae552cb5798848f103af65b.jpg16699870115712302518190706867366.thumb.jpg.e301c04b12f1128a9a1ea9f5326a796e.jpg

That makes bag fishing as simple as it can be in my book what do you reckon? 

Well i reckon I must say that’s a lovely background to the pic 

The knot looks bigger any problems with that ? and if I can be picky the loop when it’s open like in the pic

could any debris catch in it ? but saying that I use a loop in my mainline to pass it over the leader or am I’m just over thinking it  🤔

8 minutes ago, B B said:

Well i reckon I must say that’s a lovely background to the pic 

The knot looks bigger any problems with that ? and if I can be picky the loop when it’s open like in the pic

could any debris catch in it ? but saying that I use a loop in my mainline to pass it over the leader or am I’m just over thinking it  🤔

Thanks tablecloth ala dunelm it's exotic 😂

No the knot would be fine no different to any other I don't think I use the gemini tidy stems and they fit a fox lead which has a 5.75mm bore with the insert removed so it should always free the lead on a break, maybe it could be neatened with a short length of silicone or tubing to cover the loop and knot might be OK but that would need to be the same thickness as the stem so the lead didn't catch on it, as Charlie said gemini do connectors, i couldn't find one that may just neaten it up a treat 

10 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

tablecloth ala dunelm it's exotic

That’s so funny 😂 

I tried the Korda bag stems but found them to rigid  for my liking, I also use the tidy stem’s their a bit more pliable and fox leads as you do. 👍

Il tie a rig up later and see it 1st hand. 

15 minutes ago, B B said:

That’s so funny 😂 

I tried the Korda bag stems but found them to rigid  for my liking, I also use the tidy stem’s their a bit more pliable and fox leads as you do. 👍

Il tie a rig up later and see it 1st hand. 

Good idea, I like the gemini stuff tbh, the booms make rigs nice and neat, they seem to have some good products, the hooks aren't bad either, pretty sharp out the pack, I just prefer a more supple leader that will go with the contours of the lake 

It only takes about 2 minutes to make up a new bag so I don't bother making up fresh ones. Reel in, wrap around the sticks and clip up, dry the lead and rig with a towel, place rig in bag, add bag mix, lead in bag, final top up, lick and stick, cast out. Leaving PVA exposed to air weakens them as the moisture in the air gets to them, although keeping them buried in pellets or groundbait will extend that time but why take the risk?

38 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

but why take the risk

When your up in the early hours its dark or any time really and it’s cold, windy, wet and you reel in hopefully with a fish 🤞 I do not want to be fumbling about with cold fingers in a damp bivvy making bags mate. I want to use the sticks loop a bag on and hopefully hit the clip 1st time if not wind back in and repeat … and their was a couple of repeats on my last trip 😔 then you got the bird life that could wipe out your best laid plans…. But I enjoy it all  😂

I can see your point but with a decent head torch and towel to dry yours hands, it's not too much of a faff. I did try the loop to loop method but the way the mono gripped the leader just didn't look right to me and I soon ditched it as I didn't have full confidence in it. Once that happens, your mind plays tricks and you are almost expecting it to fail.

3 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

I can see your point but with a decent head torch and towel to dry yours hands, it's not too much of a faff. I did try the loop to loop method but the way the mono gripped the leader just didn't look right to me and I soon ditched it as I didn't have full confidence in it. Once that happens, your mind plays tricks and you are almost expecting it to fail.

For me the reason is the same, I would rather sit at home and make 20 or so, than keep tying them on the bank all the time spent tying bags is time I'm not watching the water, plus if a bag goes without a bite in a couple of hours I will assume its a single hookbait and lose confidence it's still presented, the amount of quick bites I've had on bags seems to justify that logic, and people can't be bothered to do that, so it's an edge in itself 

15 hours ago, B B said:

When your up in the early hours its dark or any time really and it’s cold, windy, wet and you reel in hopefully with a fish 🤞 I do not want to be fumbling about with cold fingers in a damp bivvy making bags mate. I want to use the sticks loop a bag on and hopefully hit the clip 1st time if not wind back in and repeat … and their was a couple of repeats on my last trip 😔 then you got the bird life that could wipe out your best laid plans…. But I enjoy it all  😂

At the same time if I have caught a fish, I have faith in that rig and bait. It doesn't 'smell' like me, the fish have accepted it. 

Putting on a fresh bait or rig, I could be starting from scratch again. 

I would much rather dry out the end tackle and make a fresh bag.

Faff maybe, but better than having doubts about whether the rig is right.

Years ago I started tying my bags or mesh to the hooklink swivel or above the lead, but Gardner and other brands now make PVA bag swivels or clips. It's easy enough to tie a bag on and hook the outside corner, so you can have ready prepared bags or mesh.

Thinking about it you can use the clip on a run ring or lead clip and attach the lead as well 😉 

At short ranges even if it is a bit wobbly in flight it will still hit the spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the lead free leaders, I make em up at home so I can swap em over quickly.. they have a small loop in the leader at the mono end and the lead slides nicely over end, so are quite safe...  l got em off the bay... think there were 10 for £12 posted... 

I use light leads of 1.5oz max with small bags as I don't want to overstress my cane rods on the chuck... as a system I find they work well... just gotta buy more 1.5 and 1oz leads to make up a batch of bags per session...

• 1 month later...

I ended up recently deciding to just make up a load of leaders and I now have 8 bags with plastic dumbell wafters ready to rip for when I next get out,the yellow thing has extra spare leaders on, the only thing I may change for summer when the weed is up is to make them drop off leaders with another ring on the swivel, I did buy an ngt case just for solid bag fishing though IMG_20230114_135551.thumb.jpg.cb0ba38caeeb6adc7f0062aab48804b4.jpg

Everything solid bag in one place (apart from pellet mix ) hooks, braid, leaders, scissors, bait stops, needle, pva bags, pva tape, 

I'm also going for a hookbait / liquid pouch this year with a couple of goos/Liquids and a few types of hookbaits in so I can goo up the bags when making them on the bank, 

I was meant to be fishing yesterday but someone in my family always seems to be ill with sonething or t'other at the moment, It's giving me time to over think though so every cloud lol