Location , Location , Location

crusian

Hi Everyone 

At my lake there's a gravel ( ? ) bar that runs from one set of Lilies to another .

So would the Carp follow the top of the bar (  assuming they felt the need to travel from one set of lilies to the other )   , or the bottom of the bar where presumably natural food ( plus some boilies ) have gathered  ? .

Ta

😃

3 hours ago, crusian said:

Hi Everyone 

At my lake there's a gravel ( ? ) bar that runs from one set of Lilies to another .

So would the Carp follow the top of the bar (  assuming they felt the need to travel from one set of lilies to the other )   , or the bottom of the bar where presumably natural food ( plus some boilies ) have gathered  ? .

Ta

😃

2 hours ago, greekskii said:

My suggestion would be to put a rod on top and a rod on the base. See where the bites come from. Temperature will have an effect as in the hotter months you’d assume they’d follow the top in the shallower water. 

They probably do both in all honesty. 

Rod Hutchinson in The Carp Strikes Back reckoned the carp would use the top of the gravel bar during the day, hanging around and moving along, then would feed at the base of the bar.

I've had fish from the top of gravel bars, Brackens Pool especially, where the bars could be 15ft above the lakebed, but on other lakes as well.

I've also done well on either side at the base of the bars. 

Pretty much the only way is to fish both and see which the fish prefer.

I personally wouldn't assume they follow it at  all,  I'd only place a bait there if I actually saw them patrolling it or signs they patrol it. 

If you do decide to fish it then if its like lakes that I've fished before there may well be certain pick up points along it and not just cast on it and catch. One of the lakes the bars were mainly made up of large stones (the size of your fist or slightly bigger) and a bite cast on this was very hard to come by but by leading about you could find areas that were made up of much smaller gravel and this is where your bites came from. 

Just a bit of food for thought. 

The lake I'm on is real tricky found a hard spot in the middle that they will take a bait off, got it on there last weekend lost one on the take and couldn't get back on that hard  spot with the recast I was close real close but no beans for the rest of the session. Will be back out this week Captain Ahab went and bought me a freezer full of bait and bits for helping him out. I was  chuffed I could still do a round  hard  work window cleaning really do need every muscle you got everything gets a workout think its down to doing at a young age,  got little muscles popping up in places they ain't been seen in years.

1 hour ago, crusian said:

Thanks very much Greekskii , Nick , Emmcee , and Carpbell3 , your answers are as Emmcee said  " ... a bit of food for thought "  .

😃

You may find that on some lakes if the bars are flat, is that fish will feed on bait on top of them. They may be wary (hence the 'need' to change rigs), but because so much bait goes on top they will eat it.

The same lake may also have fish that are caught from the bottom of the bars, as natural food, and short or long fall baits that don't land on the flat will fall into the troughs.

Some more food for thought though:

How many people think that they are fishing on top, but are actually dropping short with the swing of the lead?

Reeling in 'excess' line should tell you if you are hitting the clip and tightening up, by 1 or 2 reel handle turns as opposed to 10...

I'm  using a much more supple braid this week have been using the korda stiff that crimps just for convenience it's not that convenient to be honest, a palmor knot and surgeons loop are simple and fast, will be using PBs jelly braid had a few out on that this year.

Really is a messy bottom on this lake.