Making pop-ups

caller44

Hi guys,

Hoping for some help.

I have been making a mix to create cork granule pop ups however, for the life of me i cannot get the mix to dry enough to be used in the CCmoore cork ball roller. when making the 16mm baits they dont form and just split within the bait maker, as though its too wet.

i am only using 10ml of liquid into a 1 egg mix and using the specific hard hook bait mix from ccmoore.

please see recipe below:

40g of flavoured powder

45G of hard hook bait mix

15g of cork dust

10ml of liquid

1 egg

paste mix sealed into a bag for 30 mins

Am i doing something wrong? All help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by caller44

5 hours ago, caller44 said:

for the life of me i cannot get the mix to dry enough to be used in the CCmoore cork ball roller. when making the 16mm baits they dont form and just split within the bait maker, as though its too wet.

Hi mate, I've not rolled bait for years but reading your first line it struck me that if they split within the bait maker ( or on the rolling table as I used back in the day), they were too dry.

Obviously I'm guessing but I think you may have the problem the wrong way round?

Just now, kevtaylor said:

Hi mate, I've not rolled bait for years but reading your first line it struck me that if they split within the bait maker ( or on the rolling table as I used back in the day), they were too dry.

Obviously I'm guessing but I think you may have the problem the wrong way round?

Just the size of the egg matters in this case - as we are talking about getting the mix bang on - so just having a smaller egg than usual could be enough to effect your binding properties, the margins are fine IMO

hi Kev,

first of all thankyou for coming back to me on this.

so the issue is that its like that tacky sticky wet paste feel, like wet moist wet play dough that sticks to everything, not a smooth pliable paste.

you honestly think its the size of the wet egg content?

Edited by caller44

56 minutes ago, caller44 said:

hi Kev,

first of all thankyou for coming back to me on this.

so the issue is that its like that tacky sticky wet paste feel, like wet moist wet play dough that sticks to everything, not a smooth pliable paste.

you honestly think its the size of the wet egg content?

Yep I had the same problem with a kilo mix did half of it with six large eggs five medium eggs worked better in the other half of the base mix.

14 hours ago, framey said:

Try it by hand and see it it still splits ?

I have a couple of presses for pop ups but they are usually made around a corkball  so you don’t use too much heavy paste 

Thank you sir, ill have a try again. i need to get some small eggs have ran out, but ill see what results come of it. Thank you all for your time and help!

22 hours ago, caller44 said:

Hi guys,

Hoping for some help.

I have been making a mix to create cork granule pop ups however, for the life of me i cannot get the mix to dry enough to be used in the CCmoore cork ball roller. when making the 16mm baits they dont form and just split within the bait maker, as though its too wet.

i am only using 10ml of liquid into a 1 egg mix and using the specific hard hook bait mix from ccmoore.

please see recipe below:

40g of flavoured powder

15g of cork dust

10ml of liquid

1 egg

It’s just a wild stab in the dark but I think it may be the cork dust causing the problem.

https://ccmoore.com/28-hard-hookbait-mixes

m maybe I’m coming across as a bit pedantic, if so it’s not intentional, but if you look at the CC Moore website description of the hard hookbait mix and take it literally it looks like it’s designed for sinking bottom baits , mixing with dust to produce wafters and/or balanced bottom baits yet specifically mentions Cork BALLS for the use of pop ups.

I don’t know how that would make a difference (maybe the actual amount you’re using ?) and maybe I’m thinking too much .

But it is just a thought …

3 hours ago, newmarket said:

It’s just a wild stab in the dark but I think it may be the cork dust causing the problem.

https://ccmoore.com/28-hard-hookbait-mixes

m maybe I’m coming across as a bit pedantic, if so it’s not intentional, but if you look at the CC Moore website description of the hard hookbait mix and take it literally it looks like it’s designed for sinking bottom baits , mixing with dust to produce wafters and/or balanced bottom baits yet specifically mentions Cork BALLS for the use of pop ups.

I don’t know how that would make a difference (maybe the actual amount you’re using ?) and maybe I’m thinking too much .

But it is just a thought …

Quite possibly!

Cork dust or granules takes in a bit of liquid, and does mess up the rolling, making consistency difficult to achieve.

Your description also sounded a bit wet to roll, but I could be wrong.

You almost want the mix too dry to roll!

You are probably or possibly better going to corkball or a dedicated pop-up mix. 

Just now, salokcinnodrog said:

Quite possibly!

Cork dust or granules takes in a bit of liquid, and does mess up the rolling, making consistency difficult to achieve.

Your description also sounded a bit wet to roll, but I could be wrong.

You almost want the mix too dry to roll!

You are probably or possibly better going to corkball or a dedicated pop-up mix. 

Thanks for comming back to me on this and ok, understood. 

The thing is, Cork balls are so expensive compared to crushed Cork. 1litre of crushed Cork is around £4.50 and you can get 6 100g mixes out of that when only using 15g. With pop up mix, when taking on water will slowely sink as we all know. I want to try and get it to work with crushed Cork as its cost effective as well as garrenteed buoyancy. 

It's a tough one. 

On 27/09/2022 at 09:17, caller44 said:

Hi guys,

Hoping for some help.

please see recipe below:

40g of flavoured powder

15g of cork dust

10ml of liquid

1 egg

Whats the flavoured powder in question at guess its something from the body builder market so whey based ?

The CC Moore Hard hookbait mix looks like its designed to be used straight out of the tub to make up hookbaits so depending on what the above is based on might be causing issues with the binding elelements

Cant see it being the liquids but what are the liquids in question hydro's/oil/flavour some especially hydro's can be quite thirsty so if your just using 1 egg to 100g depending on egg size might also be an issue.

2 hours ago, caller44 said:

Thanks for comming back to me on this and ok, understood. 

The thing is, Cork balls are so expensive compared to crushed Cork. 1litre of crushed Cork is around £4.50 and you can get 6 100g mixes out of that when only using 15g. With pop up mix, when taking on water will slowely sink as we all know. I want to try and get it to work with crushed Cork as its cost effective as well as garrenteed buoyancy. 

It's a tough one. 

Don't forget you can reuse corkballs. Once the bait has come off, save and dry.

9 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Don't forget you can reuse corkballs. Once the bait has come off, save and dry.

And the tool in question in this thread is designed for making cork ball pop ups, so the OP might benefit from by a small rolling table (like the gardener ones) for rolling cork dust baits

40 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Or just buy a couple of tubs of pop ups and save all the aggravation

Depends on your interests within our great past time mate, some people have no interest in bait and how it works so if your that way then the above is a good solution, but some people like to know why certain things attarct carp and then create there own bait around what they have learnt

18 hours ago, hutch said:

And the tool in question in this thread is designed for making cork ball pop ups, so the OP might benefit from by a small rolling table (like the gardener ones) for rolling cork dust baits

The other thing is cork varies in how much it absorbs, with cork balls you can feel the difference by touch or sight, whereas with cork dust you can't know. 

It also then dries out, so may actually cause baits to split and crack.

I know we all like a gadget, but I still roll my pop-ups by hand or on the rolling table. I can get the paste amount right for the pop-up size i like, either a 16mm or a tiny 10mm (which i hate rolling).

11 hours ago, newmarket said:

Or just buy a couple of tubs of pop ups and save all the aggravation 😉

Despite making my own pop-ups for alternative hookbaits, I do buy pop-ups myself.

I use Rod Hutchinson Monster Crab,  KMG and Infusion as my main baits, so I have pop-ups in the MC and KMG. The KMG I have in both main bait colour and as a high visibility pink.

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The other thing is cork varies in how much it absorbs, with cork balls you can feel the difference by touch or sight, whereas with cork dust you can't know. 

It also then dries out, so may actually cause baits to split and crack.

I know we all like a gadget, but I still roll my pop-ups by hand or on the rolling table. I can get the paste amount right for the pop-up size i like, either a 16mm or a tiny 10mm (which i hate rolling).

Despite making my own pop-ups for alternative hookbaits, I do buy pop-ups myself.

I use Rod Hutchinson Monster Crab,  KMG and Infusion as my main baits, so I have pop-ups in the MC and KMG. The KMG I have in both main bait colour and as a high visibility pink.

hello sir,

you are absolutely right, but i am hoping, that if they work in my own fishing they could become a little side hussle, never know? so looking at cost effective ways to produce without compromising on quality. i think CB would be viable but only in bult at very large QTY's

thank you all for your help on this subject and giving me the time.

i think i have all i need in regards of advice, so will keep you all posted on how i get on.

again, thank you all very much!

4 hours ago, caller44 said:

hello sir,

you are absolutely right, but i am hoping, that if they work in my own fishing they could become a little side hussle, never know? so looking at cost effective ways to produce without compromising on quality. i think CB would be viable but only in bult at very large QTY's

thank you all for your help on this subject and giving me the time.

i think i have all i need in regards of advice, so will keep you all posted on how i get on.

again, thank you all very much!

why dont you try using larger cork granules and hand rolling. Yes it takes longer but I have found cork dust/fine granule pop ups to be absolutely rubbish in the past. The buoyancy is not great at all. 

If you are only making them for personal use then the additional time hand rolling shouldn't matter too much. 

My only other thoughts are if you're resting the mix enough and giving it a chance to draw in the liquids. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing some hook baits today for next week, got to bust some bottle corks up as cork granules can only be got online the corks are unused.

I want to do two different flavours both in pop ups and bottom baits. Going to do a one egg mix of liquid then split 100 grams of powder mix into two portions and try to mix half of the egg into each portion of mix one lot of powder mix contains cork, or should I mix the cork in after I have made the paste and just do he whole mix in one?

The kit.

20221022_094020.jpg

On 29/09/2022 at 09:08, salokcinnodrog said:

I just made a pot of my 10mm Garlic Spice pop-ups with Seafood Extract, and some Catfish sized pop-ups to lift pike deadbaits as I'm trying to avoid using foam or plastic poppers.

1 egg, BAF Fluoro pop-up mix, RH Megaspice, Seafood Extract and an hour to roll that lot.

They are in the pot with another 3ml of Seafood Extract; I'll let them dry out some more when it's soaked in as I want rock hard hookbaits.

The pike poppers I will let dry out normally.

16666157567815694344743615003275.jpg

I went for a very light flavour mix of the plum and TM1 to say it's suttle would be a understatement, also cleaned the cork before using and flavoured the bag it went in before cleaning.

Not bad got some pop up which are real buoyant a few of what I hope will be wafters depending on how they dry out, and a few bottom baits.

Once they are dry I will give them a splash of ccmoore 365.

Really like John's kit the base mixes really are multilayered think it's the yeasts he puts in.