expanding to include Carp as a targeted species

hi all

have been fishing for a while and have enjoyed the normal mixed bag of coarse fishing  

the latest club  waters have several lakes that include Carp 

the smaller lake has Carp up to 10lb and have enjoyed  using cage feeder and fishing for  Carp and suddenly i realised i have been fishing for these carp however i have stayed away from the lakes with bigger fish 

the biggest fish i have caught is 9.5 lb and would like to start fishing for bigger fish and so  I want to understand how to do it properly and have the right setup 

with family commitments this will be day fishing only and would like to keep things as simple as possible  if there is such a thing 

and looking at carp specific tackle i have to hold my hands up and  say i get  lost at where to start to be honest 

so looking forward to  pick your  brains and see if i can get on the right track 

Graham

i have to admit i have mainly been a maggot drowner for most of my angling life and only started targetting carp since last Oct after catching one on a feeder rig by accident. it wasn't the biggest but it was a [censored] to land and caught it on a feeder rig by chance. i only fish day ticket as commitments keep me from the sessions most serious carpers do and i have since caught a fair few, my scales reached to a mighty 3lb so have never properly weighed my catches but a lad fishing near me helped land one once and weighed it so my PB is apparently 11lb 7oz :)

i have had great fun and found a new lease of pleasure in fishing again learning new rigs and trying to move away from my course approach to fishing, have built up a decent  bit of kit a little bit at a time here and there and find this forum to be a treasure trove of knowledge and experience. i started with some ready made set ups until i learnt to tie my own rigs and have never looked back from there, my first purchases were things for carp care such as a decent cradle and treatments and then progressed to a mid budget rod but still use some of my barbel gear like the baitrunners and nets.

i hope you enjoy a change of species as much as i have had and this forum is full of all the things you may need advice with and i still target my specimen silvers when i go with my daughter to a local  lake as i put one rod out for the carp and one rod on te float to have a competition with her on most caught.

good luck and i look forward to your catch reports

11 hours ago, Warf said:

hi all

have been fishing for a while and have enjoyed the normal mixed bag of coarse fishing  

the latest club  waters have several lakes that include Carp 

the smaller lake has Carp up to 10lb and have enjoyed  using cage feeder and fishing for  Carp and suddenly i realised i have been fishing for these carp however i have stayed away from the lakes with bigger fish 

the biggest fish i have caught is 9.5 lb and would like to start fishing for bigger fish and so  I want to understand how to do it properly and have the right setup 

with family commitments this will be day fishing only and would like to keep things as simple as possible  if there is such a thing 

and looking at carp specific tackle i have to hold my hands up and  say i get  lost at where to start to be honest 

so looking forward to  pick your  brains and see if i can get on the right track 

Graham

Welcome to carp.com.

Firstly what you are doing is working, so don't complicate things, just stick with it. You are catching good fish up to a good size.

What you may find is that venues with bigger fish are not compatible with days only, so with family you might have to stick with what you have. However, if the club has lakes with bigger fish take your working methods over there and try them.

In terms of fishing tackle you could be spending silly money on gear you don't need, buzzers, new rods, new reels.

What you do need is decent sized landing net, unhooking mat etc.

You will get so many answers on what is decent gear, Shimano, Daiwa, Wychwood, Sonik, Nash, Fox, Delkim, the list is endless.

The best bet is to go into a tackle shop near you, preferably one who knows your venues, and see what he recommends.

• 2 weeks later...