Autumn/winter carping

dalej2014

17 hours ago, newmarket said:

I went for the large in the end. There was 2 on eBay last night within an hour of each other so had to make a decision.

I don’t particularly like well fitting clothes anyway and even my t-shirts are baggy so I went for the large when I could easily have gone for the medium .

I read on another forum about a fella recommending the bigger size saying the more air in there the more warm air created .

oh and the large was in DPM lol . Just need a light compact but warm sleeping bag now 🤣

You don't get anymore compact than a Snugpak sleeping bag 

1 hour ago, emmcee said:

You don't get anymore compact than a Snugpak sleeping bag 

Yeah I’m torn between getting a snugpak silk liner for my existing sleeping bag (would that even work ???) or buying a special forces/Antarctic Snugpak bag .

Although my old JRC bag still does the job it always did in conjunction with a cover/shroud , it’s bloodee bulky whereas a Snugpak would be minimal.

just dunno whether I can justify the best part of £200 on something I may use 6 times max per winter ….

3 hours ago, newmarket said:

Yeah I’m torn between getting a snugpak silk liner for my existing sleeping bag (would that even work ???) or buying a special forces/Antarctic Snugpak bag .

Although my old JRC bag still does the job it always did in conjunction with a cover/shroud , it’s bloodee bulky whereas a Snugpak would be minimal.

just dunno whether I can justify the best part of £200 on something I may use 6 times max per winter ….

I've got the special forces 2 sleeping bag and the Antarctica sleeping bag, both are excellent, but depends on your budget obviously.  

Just come back from walk round the park lake, 2 lads on, 1 lost 2x fish due to being snagged, 1 lad had 3 fish....

It's only a small shallow water and with the sun in the shallows they all down there....

Funny thing is, 1 of the lad done 2 nights n lost 2....an old fell turned up in next peg, flick his rod out and had a double in 2 minutes 🤣🤣.

Really thinking to try the warm shallows tomorrow morning for a few hours.

2 rods on veeeeery pimped isotonic pineapple wafters with ciruz crumb pva balls.

7 hours ago, B B said:

Sooo much rain around my way this week was going to have a sneaky couple of hours tomorrow but I’m thinking the water level will be way up 😞 

I'm hoping ours will start to fill up!

I was catching fish from the tree on the island dead centre of the pic early in the year.

20221102_095019.jpg

21 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm hoping ours will start to fill up!

I was catching fish from the tree on the island dead centre of the pic early in the year.

20221102_095019.jpg

Ffs mate , and I thought the water level on my water was low . 
personally I’ll be happy if this recent rain has filled it up a bit . Plenty more to come as well I think .

• 2 weeks later...

Just had look in the freezer for any bait for a upcoming trip on Monday lots of odds and sods in there..

Sweetcorn, a pint of maggots, 2 ish pints of hemp and the same of ground bait with small bag of 2mil pellets. I’ll pop in the local tackle shop Saturday with the just the right amount of money for 3 pints of mags…so I don’t get tempted  😏

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, newmarket said:

Anyone been brave enough to get out in the ice and snow ?

My lake has been frozen since last week, and even my local river has frozen over. I had to put a bucket of oversoaked Vitalin and chopped/mashed boilies into the freezer.

I am hoping Alton Water is clear enough to fish tomorrow.

FB_IMG_1671293054261.jpg

2 hours ago, newmarket said:

Piking I assume mate ? 

I say that as I didn’t think it contained any Carp ? 

I reckon maybe some nice Roach though.

Yes tomorrow will be a pike trip, easier to find than the carp or roach I hope.

It's got big carp, and big roach.

Couple of 2lb roach when I found a shoal of big fish over 2 weekends.

Screenshot_20221217-184427_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20221217-184441_Facebook.jpg

And a couple of carp caught within 24hours of each other

Screenshot_20221217-183620_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20221217-183633_Facebook.jpg

On 15/09/2022 at 08:13, bluelabel said:

Tips for keeping warm...

Eliminate gaps... gaps cause draughts, tuck joggers into socks, wear long sleeved tee shirts pulled down to the wrists, wear a scarf or neck warmer, and a good hat... the Trapper style is very good at keeping your head warm, and Neoprene gloves will keep hands warm, if you don't like gloves buy a Muff,  and put a hand warmer in... brill at keeping hands toasty

We keep missing an important point about keeping feet and head warm, although @bluelabel has covered part of it, with tucking trousers into socks, the type of socks. Your standard cotton/synthetic mix socks aren't going to do. I may walk to my swim in them but do change.

My winter socks are either the Merino wool socks mentioned on the 'What is your newest purchase?' thread, or Yuedge winter hiking socks. 

For comfort I put a pair of insoles in my Nitehawk combat boots, it has actually improved thermal properties as well. I have not yet worn the thermal boots this year!

Hat wise, as much as I hate wearing a hat, a Beanie with an USB headlight, a Herringbone flat cap or Thinsulate Thermal hat. 

There are not many decent hoodies for winter use, most tackle brand ones are too thin, although there are a few. I do wear one at night sometimes with the hood up, my head then stays warm while I'm in the sleeping bag.

6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

We keep missing an important point about keeping feet and head warm, although @bluelabel has covered part of it, with tucking trousers into socks, the type of socks. Your standard cotton/synthetic mix socks aren't going to do. I may walk to my swim in them but do change.

My winter socks are either the Merino wool socks mentioned on the 'What is your newest purchase?' thread, or Yuedge winter hiking socks. 

For comfort I put a pair of insoles in my Nitehawk combat boots, it has actually improved thermal properties as well. I have not yet worn the thermal boots this year!

Hat wise, as much as I hate wearing a hat, a Beanie with an USB headlight, a Herringbone flat cap or Thinsulate Thermal hat. 

There are not many decent hoodies for winter use, most tackle brand ones are too thin, although there are a few. I do wear one at night sometimes with the hood up, my head then stays warm while I'm in the sleeping bag.

My mum just asked me what I wanted for Xmas 

I said a hoody with a Borg lining no zip 

lol

good luck with that one mother 

On 18/12/2022 at 11:00, salokcinnodrog said:

Geoff Anderson Teddy Green - expensive but you get what you pay for 👍