Autumn/winter carping

dalej2014

1 hour ago, dalej2014 said:

Again, not a small investment, but warm tea/coffeee/chocolate by the bankside. Worth it? Several of you have mentioned hot drinks, so seems to be an idea.

Hell yeah, I'm all about enjoyment, fishing is a treat and I like to eat and drink well, a tiny stove and food bag is as essential.

I take a flask on the boats but its nowhere near as good and neither is cold sandwiches tbh

Tony the Bluebell owner wrote that good hot food and drink and being warm make you fish more effectively and I've always thought he is dead right.

1 hour ago, framey said:

Word is 

the aldi version of baileys is better and cheaper lol

I've heard that too. I'll be getting a bottle for the vanilla nut boilies. At a tenner a bottle it's still much cheaper than most glugs and goos! Blooming carp tax! 🤣

Edited by dalej2014

On 15/09/2022 at 11:35, yonny said:

Horrible mate, dirty, smelly, times have moved on imo.

As Kev said, propane/butane mix is the one👍

10 hours ago, dalej2014 said:

Is that your experience with petrol in a stove? Apparently quite different using Coleman fuel (white gas/naphtha). Certainly cheaper than using butane/propane too.

I would not trust a Coleman petrol stove at all. Too many problems from a Peak1 made me return to gas. It's cheaper to replace a whole worn out gas stove than continually replace dying parts on a Coleman. The rings wear, the burner wears out, the pump needs replacing, washer replacement, all were around £20. 

You can get a new gas stove for that...

Get a Bulin T4😉

Geese were forming up in Vs the other day they will be heading off soon it is cold enough at night to make a stove splutter days are cracking though got my perma tan back and my window cleaning muscles even the Mrs was laughing couple of days out was like a cutting session best thing is the leg work really was getting leg ache after walking no problem now got that bounce back still skinny as a brush just more ripped lol.

Might try for a session next week never know I might move pegs if need be 🤣

• 1 month later...
On 12/09/2022 at 15:40, yonny said:

A lot of it is water dependent but on the water I fish:

Location is always the most important bit but in winter more so as they're far more tricky to find. As we head into Autumn and temps drop they'll stop showing in the day and start showing at night, this is normally near where they'll end up for winter. Areas near (not in) the deepest water and central areas are worth keeping an eye on. Do a couple of nights when the temps start to drop and you should see/hear them if you're prepared to stay up late (very late in some cases).

As soon as you think you know where they'll end up start putting a bit of bait in. Don't leave it too late as once they shut up shop for winter there's no getting them going again unless you get some seriously good conditions. If you can get the bait in before they shut up shop you can keep them going right through winter with consistent light baiting.

Tactics/rigs etc are not that important imo, just don't go crazy with bait. The important bit is being on them and keeping them going with a little bait in the right area.

Don't ignore zigs. Even if you keep them going with bait they'll likely only feed for an hour a day so zigs can increase your chances, especially during the day, significantly.

For clothing, the Snugpak stuff was a massive game changer for me. SJ6 or SJ9 jacket and Sleeka salopettes are the ones. It's like wearing a sleeping bag, you can get away with just a T-shirt underneath. That Quantum winter suit is no good, it'll protect you from the wind but that's about it. DO NOT skimp on the clothing, spend proper money on proper gear (most fishing branded stuff is not what I consider to be proper winter gear). A decent sleeping bag is obviously a must of you do decide to do nights.

Take plenty of tea.

Enjoy yourself.

Yon / Emcee , what’s the sizing like on those Snugpak jackets ? Do they come up big or small ? 
I don’t like anything really close fitting but then I don’t wanna LOOK like a Sasquatch either 🤣

On 15/09/2022 at 10:15, bluelabel said:

pots of porridge are also good warmers with a slow energy release... you can buy the pots in tescos ets... get the ones you just add water to, boil up the kettle pour in the water leave for a minute and stir... good warming brekky (or dinner if you prefer)

Real porridge is my breakfast!

Not that I don't like the 'convenience' of pots, but I need 2 or 3 to fill me up; at £1.20 a pot compared to £1.50 for a kilo of porridge oats...

While I totally agree that many waters are 'time' waters where fish may have specific bite times, and definitely some do, if you fish a water a fair way away you may need to make the journey worthwhile. Me personally, I can't justify a 50mile drive for 1 days fishing, so I tend to make it at least a night, or even two to get the most fishing time possible.

The hardest part of autumn and winter fishing if you do do nights is the length of darkness, at the moment from 6pm until 8am. I have 2 headlights, and a small Rolson bivvy light, and spare batteries. So my 'evenings' are sat reading, watching and listening to the water, rig making or watching or playing on the tablet.

I mentioned boots earlier in the thread, it may be worth looking at Jack Pyke Tundra boots, I have seen some bargain prices around.

7 hours ago, newmarket said:

Yon / Emcee , what’s the sizing like on those Snugpak jackets ? Do they come up big or small ? 
I don’t like anything really close fitting but then I don’t wanna LOOK like a Sasquatch either 🤣

I found the sizes quite generous. Here's a link:  https://help.snugpak.com/index.php/knowledge-base/where-can-i-find-a-clothing-size-chart/

8 hours ago, newmarket said:

As already said,  I found them to be generous in size. 

58 minutes ago, Carpbell3 said:

You look similar size to me get the small 

Proper boulders the temps are dropping this week going to be those real damp mornings and nights really does put me off hate damp clothing or bedding.

I have an Ultimate sleeping bag cover, for keeping the sleeping bag dry.

My extra or spare clothing is always kept in the rucksack until needed.

I've just been boiling up some particles for a session from tomorrow. The last of the birdfood sack I bought earlier in the year.

Looks like the Nitehawk combat boots are getting an airing. 

I really am itching to get out.....

I had 3kg of 20mm Mainline Diamond Whites, (from the charity match raffle) I've ground them up to a dust/crumb, trimmed a few down to about 12mm.

Gonna make up some pva mesh balls, for some close in fishing under the club lake trees, hopefully bring em in.

Fishing running rigs slack lined.

8 hours ago, emmcee said:

Well OK, I bought a sasquatch coat in xxl and its huge, i reckon an xl would still be slightly too big. So an L might have been OK if I'm honest. All I know is  I've never been cold in it and only wear a tshirt under it. 

I went for the large in the end. There was 2 on eBay last night within an hour of each other so had to make a decision.

I don’t particularly like well fitting clothes anyway and even my t-shirts are baggy so I went for the large when I could easily have gone for the medium .

I read on another forum about a fella recommending the bigger size saying the more air in there the more warm air created .

oh and the large was in DPM lol . Just need a light compact but warm sleeping bag now 🤣

Could this be one of the slowest years for carp angling, there are guys blanking on B1 and B2 I was thinking about a visit to there or similar for a runs session, the water I'm  on is scary slow they just ain't coming out. Or there are not big number catches reported this year just the odd fish here and there.

Next year should be fun I was planning on dropping on to a real hard water I'm  now back to not knowing which bait to go with.