Pairing Rods with Reels

2 hours ago, Absolute Bobbins said:

Hi all, I'd like to get shorter rods to suit my fishing needs, would my Daiwa Emblem 19 reels be too heavy/big for 9 or 10ft Rods?

Does it matter?  If it was a specific floater rod then yes as you're holding it all day then size and weight matter, but if bottom fishing with the rods on rests - whats the point is shelling out for new lighter reels?

My Shimmy LC's are big and HEAVY but so what - they are also the nutts and I wouldn't change them.  I have a specific floater set-up that uses an old Diawa reel I had knocking about.

Are the Emblems big pits ? …Iv got a set of Korum 10ft 2.25lb rods nice and light wouldn’t dream of putting big reels on them also got a set of ESP Quickdraw rods in 10ft but there 3.50lb again would never put big reels on them the balance is all wrong, it’s a joy to use balance tackle I use the Okuma inc 6000 on them they balance the rods perfectly you can get them for around £50 ish. But any reel around that size will do. Go in your local tackle shop and try reels out on rods  👍

18 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Does it matter?  If it was a specific floater rod then yes as you're holding it all day then size and weight matter, but if bottom fishing with the rods on rests - whats the point is shelling out for new lighter reels?

My Shimmy LC's are big and HEAVY but so what - they are also the nutts and I wouldn't change them.  I have a specific floater set-up that uses an old Diawa reel I had knocking about.

I'm not sure if it matters, yes they'll be sat on my alrams 99% of the time... I've not used shorter rods before and have read about an 'imbalanced set-up' - I guess I just wanted to just check on here before pulling the trigger, that I wasn't making an obvious mistake.

35 minutes ago, Absolute Bobbins said:

I'm not sure if it matters, yes they'll be sat on my alrams 99% of the time... I've not used shorter rods before and have read about an 'imbalanced set-up' - I guess I just wanted to just check on here before pulling the trigger, that I wasn't making an obvious mistake.

You're probably not making a mistake, people do always talk about well balanced or more to the point suitable for it's job set-up.

I go perch and zander fishing on the huge ressies and my rods and reels are super lightweight, I can cast all day long with no discomfort whatsoever - it's vitally important for that type of fishing.

Casting a spomb however with a lightweight rod and reel and I'm struggling after a while with back and shoulder pain - so I bought a baitboat to lessen the load lol  I also use this setup for my spot finding.

My actual carp reels are well heavy but I don't care as they do a job and I'm not sat holding the rods anyway, on shorter rods they would look a bit silly tbf  

58 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

You're probably not making a mistake, people do always talk about well balanced or more to the point suitable for it's job set-up.

I go perch and zander fishing on the huge ressies and my rods and reels are super lightweight, I can cast all day long with no discomfort whatsoever - it's vitally important for that type of fishing.

Casting a spomb however with a lightweight rod and reel and I'm struggling after a while with back and shoulder pain - so I bought a baitboat to lessen the load lol  I also use this setup for my spot finding.

My actual carp reels are well heavy but I don't care as they do a job and I'm not sat holding the rods anyway, on shorter rods they would look a bit silly tbf  

My Daiwa Emblems are fairly big reels, but I don't think they'll look too out of place on shorter rods. I love the reels and don't want to change them, but I would prefer smaller rods for them to go on, I don't think I need 12ft rods and also in the future I will likely succumb to a bait boat or possibly bait pole and I think that will be a lot easier to manage with shorter rods.

1 hour ago, Absolute Bobbins said:

My Daiwa Emblems are fairly big reels, but I don't think they'll look too out of place on shorter rods. I love the reels and don't want to change them, but I would prefer smaller rods for them to go on, I don't think I need 12ft rods and also in the future I will likely succumb to a bait boat or possibly bait pole and I think that will be a lot easier to manage with shorter rods.

Why would you want shorter rods? I've got 12.6 rods and have never needed anything shorter.  I bought some 10's but haven't found a need for them yet.  Unless I was stalking under some trees I cant see what benefit shorter rods give?

Long powerful rods help get fish out of weedbeds IMO

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

Why would you want shorter rods? I've got 12.6 rods and have never needed anything shorter.  I bought some 10's but haven't found a need for them yet.  Unless I was stalking under some trees I cant see what benefit shorter rods give?

Long powerful rods help get fish out of weedbeds IMO

Haven't found that I've needed to chuck very far on any of my club waters, lots of snaggy swims and swims with overhanging trees, ease of use with bait boat or bait pole in future, smaller pack down size for fitting in the car and barrowing round the lake to my swim. Still keeping my 12ft rods just in case, but they've felt a bit cumbersome in snaggy little swims I've fished recently.

10 minutes ago, Absolute Bobbins said:

Haven't found that I've needed to chuck very far on any of my club waters, lots of snaggy swims and swims with overhanging trees, ease of use with bait boat or bait pole in future, smaller pack down size for fitting in the car and barrowing round the lake to my swim. Still keeping my 12ft rods just in case, but they've felt a bit cumbersome in snaggy little swims I've fished recently.

Fair enough, cant beat an overgrown, snaggy water - many happy years stalking carp in the edge 👍

• 3 weeks later...

for what its worth i have 2 x 10ft carp rods as only fish small waters so felt no need for distance but my coarse gear is made up of a 17ft float rod and a 15ft pellet waggler. i use the same reels for each mostly but with the exception of the float rod where i use a smaller reel with very light line.

i alternate between sometimes fishing a session soley targetting carp or if out with my daughter i set my float rod up to run a competion on who catches the most silvers with her as its fun.

all the venues i fish are smaller pond types so no long cast needed but if i was fishing big waters i would definately upgrade to 12ft rods but still keep the same reels

I'm of the mind that 'too big' reels are better than 'too small' reels on a rod.

When I first got my 2.75lb TC  Century SP's I had Shimano 8010's on them, and they didn't feel right, but with Aerlex 8000's all was good.

The follow on NG's felt good with DL10000's and 7000XTA Beastmaster reels, from a medium to a large reel.

I can go back even further to some Daiwa 1350's I had in the 1980's, they were fine as general reels for float and ledger rods, but stick them on a Specimen rod they just felt too small, yet Abu Ultracast Cardinals were fine. You could equally put the Cardinals on the ledger rod and fish comfortably.

It is down to how it feels for you