Cheap reels for kids

Hi guys 

I want to get my kids a couple fo 6ft rods either sonik or more likely the tackle box darent Valley ones for France, I'm struggling to decide which reels to go with them, 

These seem OK in theory, simple, light enough, cheap but will they be any good? https://www.fishingrepublic.co.uk/15988430/shimano-fx-4000-fc-15988430

The thing I like is no anti reverse or stuff they will mess with, so all they do is cast and reel in, if anyone has any suggestions needs to be 4000ish size, I would go for okuma Inc6000 if they were for me (sometimes they will be😂) but I want to keep the weight down for them, and also don't want to spend a fortune on kids reels 

Thanks in advance 

Elmo 

Edited by elmoputney

On 31/07/2022 at 11:09, elmoputney said:

Elmo , you know Tacklebox do a combo set up for those 6ft tree rods don’t you ? 

I would think the reels would be ideal for use with the tree rods hence the combo deal ?

https://www.tacklebox.co.uk/rods-en/stalking-rods/combo-deal-tb-darent-valley-6ft-2.5lb-tree-rod-kit-bp-4.html

at least you know the quality will be good.

Edited by newmarket

30 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Elmo , you know Tacklebox do a combo set up for those 6ft tree rods don’t you ? 

I would think the reels would be ideal for use with the tree rods hence the combo deal ?

https://www.tacklebox.co.uk/rods-en/stalking-rods/combo-deal-tb-darent-valley-6ft-2.5lb-tree-rod-kit-bp-4.html

at least you know the quality will be good.

Thanks I did see that, but not sure i now I feel about Nash reels tbh, I'm still a bit bitter about my old titan just falling apart and needing replacing, I have tended to avoid Nash since then, 

I really do like my okumas tbh and even the little kids one on the vibe rod is very usable just probably not ideal for carp lol 

I'm also looking at 2 man bivvies at the moment, I've been promising to take the youngest for a while and I only have small bivvy and brolly that haven't got the space 

Torn between a quest one, a jrc one and a fox one at the moment 

Go outdoors have some pretty good deals, especially with amembers card (which is only a fiver). I've just bought an Okuma carbonite 40000rd for under £15. They do have an anti-reverse switch I believe. https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16233013/okuma-carbonite-cr-4000-rd-16233013

Also Angling Direct are doing their free whip kit deal again now. Get a free 3 or 4m whip, rig and bait. Just spend a tenner with a child under 16 with you in store. Pic snipped from email below.

image.thumb.png.4d194bdabe481e35df4497b5a958d3c7.png

8 hours ago, dalej2014 said:

Go outdoors have some pretty good deals, especially with amembers card (which is only a fiver). I've just bought an Okuma carbonite 40000rd for under £15. They do have an anti-reverse switch I believe. https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16233013/okuma-carbonite-cr-4000-rd-16233013

Also Angling Direct are doing their free whip kit deal again now. Get a free 3 or 4m whip, rig and bait. Just spend a tenner with a child under 16 with you in store. Pic snipped from email below.

image.thumb.png.4d194bdabe481e35df4497b5a958d3c7.png

Thanks for that, I have already got them a whip although a carp snapped the elastic last time we went out with it 🙄, and they have okuma vibe rods and reels for normal fishing, I just want to get them something a little stronger for the carp, I have a week with them in France so I'm hoping to teach 

Has anyone used kodex rods I've found some of these that look pretty smart and reasonably priced, they do a 6ft kompressor (retractable) or an 8ft opportunist rod that look pretty nice 

28 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Is 8ft too long for kids do you think or better for learning to cast and stuff? 

What sort of fish will they be targeting with you on your trip Elmo ? 
Size etc

Edited by newmarket

1 hour ago, newmarket said:

What sort of fish will they be targeting with you on your trip Elmo ? 
Size etc

Well there is carp to near 50lb, hut also tench and that, obviously I will be there to lend a hand if required but more like junior carp rods really they have float rods and a whip  but would be nice to get something a bit more robust that I could also use 😂

You mentioned above about the kids ‘learning to cast and that’…

Arent you just a little bit worried that one of em is going to hook into a 50lb carp or similar ?

I have problems with lively doubles sometimes 🤣…and I wouldn’t want to stick a proper monster like that on the end of my boys line until he had a bit more experience. 

That’s not a criticism so don’t take it the wrong way but I’d want my boy to serve his time before throwing him in at the deep end.

Back on topic , I’d trust the Tacklebox combo . You get what you pay for with them mate 😉

On 02/08/2022 at 20:05, newmarket said:

You mentioned above about the kids ‘learning to cast and that’…

Arent you just a little bit worried that one of em is going to hook into a 50lb carp or similar ?

I have problems with lively doubles sometimes 🤣…and I wouldn’t want to stick a proper monster like that on the end of my boys line until he had a bit more experience. 

That’s not a criticism so don’t take it the wrong way but I’d want my boy to serve his time before throwing him in at the deep end.

Back on topic , I’d trust the Tacklebox combo . You get what you pay for with them mate 😉

I am a little concerned they might but the eldest one did well with the 16lber she caught, I would rather they weren't completely under gunned though and you know I can always help as I would be there if they are fishing, they have done a a few sessions now catching roach and rudd and bream and small tench and stuff, but seeing the carp feeding gave them quite a buzz as I am sure you can imagine, maybe too soon for them there are roach and tench in the lake also I can try and get them fishing for but will see maybe I should just let them use my greys stalker rod if its going well and they are getting bored of the roach, I might get a new reel for that as I don't like the baitrunner that's on it 

16 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I am a little concerned they might but the eldest one did well with the 16lber she caught, I would rather they weren't completely under gunned though and you know I can always help as I would be there if they are fishing, they have done a a few sessions now catching roach and rudd and bream and small tench and stuff, but seeing the carp feeding gave them quite a buzz as I am sure you can imagine, maybe too soon for them there are roach and tench in the lake also I can try and get them fishing for but will see maybe I should just let them use my greys stalker rod if its going well and they are getting bored of the roach, I might get a new reel for that as I don't like the baitrunner that's on it 

Sounds like a plan mate .

And if your old lady is anything like mine it’s probably France ? 
Fish with us or no France . 
😊

Thought I would do a lil update on the kids reels I plumped for in the end, 

For the money they are pretty good so far, ngt profiler 60, seem pretty smooth, line went on quite nicely, drag seems usable, and actually I think they look pretty smart, 

I ended up pairing them with 6ft NGT profiler rods, they also seem pretty good for the money, carbon, light and will probably be quite fun to use, 

And with a total price tag of £85 what's not to like for a pair of rods and reels for the kids to use and abuse, and maybe me too 🤔

IMG_20220812_144441.thumb.jpg.7080f4a894c40d257394a73aac879a8c.jpg

18 minutes ago, B B said:

A mate of mine got his young lad into fishing by letting him put stickers on a spare rod he had this is going back awhile Power Rangers was the fad at the time fast forward to now and the son is taking my mate fishing lol 

They go through so many phases though the rods would be obsolete in a few weeks, they loved peppa pig once, went to peppa pig World and everything (pre Boris announcement) they hate her now same with frozen, tangled, most things they were Into a few months ago 😂