Bernard Cribbins Dead

Golden Paws

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62330478

I was watching the Redmire episode of Passion For Angling only the other day and apart from Hugh Miles's brilliant camera work, Bernard's voice over really made it with his gentle woody voice and comic insights.

He also featured in Catching The Impossible, when Martin Bowler got a shoal of large carp fishing in the margin in a tree covered swim and one roared off. Martin gave him a huge shove in the back so he landed in the drink with the rod in his hand as to land it, he would have to be in more open water but it was one of the funnest angling moments I've ever seen.

His career also included one of the best episodes of Fawlty Towers where Basil though he was a hotel inspector and fussed over him although he was incredibly rude to him. When Basil found he found out that he wasn't, there was a great slapstick scene, just as the real inspectors walked in. Also famous for Carry On, the Wombles and later on Dr. Who.

Rest easy Bernard, one of life's really funny and nice guy's.

This is really sad news. A stalwart of childrens and comic film & TV. He was a fantastic all round entertainer.

As a young child I remember hearing his song Right Said Fred, narrating the Wombles, as I got older seeing him in films and then later on back on TV in Dr. Who and Catching the Impossible and discovering Passion for Angling. Then my kids saw him in Old Jack's Boat as they grew up.

I managed to meet him once at the Carp Society show in Sandown and got his signature on the Catching the Impossible DVD box set and the book. He came across as a genuinely nice, quiet and gentle person who was highly appreciative of his fans and who would make time for anyone who wanted to just say hi.

Rest in peace Bernard. You will be missed and remembered by generations far into the future.