I just went home........

elmoputney

Does anyone else ever do this? 

Last night I turned up late to find most pegs sewn up apart from a few, I walked round it all, went back to the car moved round the other side only to be met with 5ft of weed and no clean spots, I thought if I set up 3 Chods it will be dark and i'll just be pub chucking anyway into thick weed, so I packed up and came home, I'm sadly lacking a back up plan at the moment, think I need to Don the waders and get the rake out when I can 

I’ve done it a few times mate, sometimes the lakes all stitched up and the only places left you wouldn’t want to sling a rig in, good judgement sometimes means you leave it for another day pal. I’ve found that if I end up in an unfancied swim, not been happy with it, not done a carp in millennia, I’ve not felt confident, not fished to my best and blanked… I suppose I’ve defeated myself before I’ve started, fished like a Wally, expecting to blank - then do so, thus proving to myself it’s a waste of space swim in the first place… a self fulfilling prophesy you might say! 

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Does anyone else ever do this? 

Last night I turned up late to find most pegs sewn up apart from a few, I walked round it all, went back to the car moved round the other side only to be met with 5ft of weed and no clean spots, I thought if I set up 3 Chods it will be dark and i'll just be pub chucking anyway into thick weed, so I packed up and came home, I'm sadly lacking a back up plan at the moment, think I need to Don the waders and get the rake out when I can 

Yes Mate, I've done it as well.

Drove 70miles to Nazeing, saw the fish in the inlet feeding on massive ball of daphnia and all the sailing bank swims with anglers in, walked around the South and Central didn't see another fish and the weed was thick in front of South Pylons and Helipad so just walked back to the car and came home.

Done the same at Suffolk Water Park as well. Thick weed in Heaven and Hell with the fish hiding in it, anglers in any swim that the fish could move into so went home again.

I almost did yesterday. Spent the best part of 6 hours pushing a barrow around and over fences. Found a few fish on the river then got boated out where they were. Got frustrated and went to leave for home. Stopped off at another club lake to see some mates fishing. Saw a fish show and dropped in the general area. Rod was only out 5mins before it rattled off. 

I was on the verge of going home. I had no enthusiasm and was a sweaty mess after all the walking but forced myself to fish, luckily it paid off.

I’m lucky to have all the club night permits available due to being a bailiff so I have back up options. Well worth having something else in your locker. 

4 hours ago, newmarket said:

Nice to be able to pick and choose when you can fish .

id have found a way not knowing when my next opportunity would be .

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Same.

A quiet night on the bank is better than a house full of screaming kids 😅

I have to try and sneak one in when I can tbh but I wasn't feeling it and I just thought no point wasting my time,I wasnt prepared, I didn't have any leaders or pellets for bags and I had just got it wrong I think, I just thought I could be at home with the kids maybe get some extra credit for another time and have a day with them rather than being tired for no good reason, I did only go 2 weeks ago so I wasn't desperate yet and I am only 6 weeks from France, but I just couldn't be bothered, it had been a long day walking around the village fete and all that and I don't think I had the energy left to put in, hopefully it will mean I can try again soon 🤣

3 hours ago, greekskii said:

I almost did yesterday. Spent the best part of 6 hours pushing a barrow around and over fences. Found a few fish on the river then got boated out where they were. Got frustrated and went to leave for home. Stopped off at another club lake to see some mates fishing. Saw a fish show and dropped in the general area. Rod was only out 5mins before it rattled off. 

I was on the verge of going home. I had no enthusiasm and was a sweaty mess after all the walking but forced myself to fish, luckily it paid off.

I’m lucky to have all the club night permits available due to being a bailiff so I have back up options. Well worth having something else in your locker. 

Well done on persevering I think maybe if I had seen something it may have made a difference, but It's funny I thought that same thought that I need a back up plan, I did think about one of the other lakes on the complex but I felt rude as some of the others have been doing a lot of work on it lately, I have done  a bit of raking on there, but I just would have felt a bit cheeky 😳 

Thanks everyone it did make me feel bad thinking I've never done that before but I don't think it was a bad decision in hindsight, I will just be better prepared next time, dim going to make up some leaders and bits this week so I am ready for anything 👍

I turned up for an overnighter May bank holiday weekend on a syndicate, was packed out only 2 tiny corner swims available which I didn't fancy.  Detoured to Bluebell on the way home for a look, found it to be quiet on Kingy, got a decent swim and had a PB Common - so you never know.

That being said I couldn't even be bothered to drive down for a look and to start the prebait this weekend 👎

I always seem to have a lack of enthusiasm around July/August time, whether its because I know its generally a quieter time for bites or there's just a lot of other things going on I dont know. Seems to hit me every year. Like a little lul, excited through winter for the spring and then get excited for the autumn around about now.

35 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

I turned up for an overnighter May bank holiday weekend on a syndicate, was packed out only 2 tiny corner swims available which I didn't fancy.  Detoured to Bluebell on the way home for a look, found it to be quiet on Kingy, got a decent swim and had a PB Common - so you never know.

That being said I couldn't even be bothered to drive down for a look and to start the prebait this weekend 👎

Yeah it's tricky to find an area to prebait tbh at the moment I think I need to make my own spots out of the weedy kinda overlooked ones but it is hard to do without getting spotted, a good day's raking and regular baiting could get me a nice fresh zone for autumn though I guess, perhaps that's what I need to do get ready for France and just do some prep work for a few afternoons, still have a lot of pellet and pigeon conditioner to make a prime zone 

41 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Yeah it's tricky to find an area to prebait tbh at the moment I think I need to make my own spots out of the weedy kinda overlooked ones but it is hard to do without getting spotted, a good day's raking and regular baiting could get me a nice fresh zone for autumn though I guess, perhaps that's what I need to do get ready for France and just do some prep work for a few afternoons, still have a lot of pellet and pigeon conditioner to make a prime zone 

This is my plan - prep for autumn, I've identified the zones, just gotta make sure I'm not spotted.  Bit of particle, mixed pellet and boilie to clear the spots and wider baiting of massive pellets to aid growth and get them coming back searching.

2 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

This is my plan - prep for autumn, I've identified the zones, just gotta make sure I'm not spotted.  Bit of particle, mixed pellet and boilie to clear the spots and wider baiting of massive pellets to aid growth and get them coming back searching.

Sounds like a plan to me I think, if I get one more night in I'll be happy but I'll be fine if I am a planning something for autumn, I am taking the kids pole bashing Friday if the weather is OK, we're gonna try hookable pellets with pellet freebies this time, specimen pole fishing, hopefully it will be a bit slower than maggots that's exhausting 😀

have found myself in the same boat a few times but as i only get out once every 5/6 weeks i have made the mistake of trying to fish a poor swim, i agree with the going home part and hindsight is wonderful but sometimes i do just want to sit there in the peace and quiet with no distractions. i have regretted fishing a blank in a bad swim as i agree with some of the other comments about feeling unprepared for the change in swim i had in my head and the planned approach.