Glugging unflavoured hookbaits

I’ve read articles where unflavoured baits have destroyed waters .

It depends on which company makes em of course but a lot of attraction in bait is given off in the amino acids & other attractor stuff that’s in them …. ( I don’t understand much about the make up of bait ) .

so whatever you decide to do with em leave a few unflavoured. It could be a good move.

You will find that the glugged ones the flavour will likely only soak in so far, depending on hardness and time in soak.

Easy to see if you got a pale colour and the glug is coloured and you are happy to cut one in half after a few days soaking.

Glugging some in Rod Hutchinson Shellfish Extract, and  garlic oil is a winner.

Leave some unflavoured though.

15 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

You will find that the glugged ones the flavour will likely only soak in so far, depending on hardness and time in soak.

Easy to see if you got a pale colour and the glug is coloured and you are happy to cut one in half after a few days soaking.

Glugging some in Rod Hutchinson Shellfish Extract, and  garlic oil is a winner.

Leave some unflavoured though.

Ahh I see , to be honest i knew that the soak probably wouldn’t go right through. I got two different wafters pastel orange and yellow so should be able to see 

14 hours ago, callum23 said:

Just brought some unflavoured wafters and going to glug them in some different flavours, what’s the best way to go about it?

Just whack them in a tub with your chosen glug mate. The best method is to glug lightly on a regular basis rather than drown them once. Shake the tub once a day. They'll be ready to use after a couple of weeks but the longer you leave them the better they get. I have hookbaits that have been glugged for 2 years +. Eventually the glug will get through to the very middle.

I also use unflavoured pop ups regularly. I use them to suspend alternative hookbaits such as naturals (maggots, worms etc) when I want absolutely no synthetic or processed attractors on the spot.

14 hours ago, newmarket said:

a lot of attraction in bait is given off in the amino acids & other attractor stuff that’s in them

Almost anything that gives off aminos (fishmeals etc) has an inherent flavour so I wouldn't consider any food bait to be unflavoured, even if there are no artificial flavors added. The OP refers to wafters so if he means an unflavoured food bait those aminos/attractors will be reduced by the inclusion of ingredients intended to provide the buoyancy. He might however be referring to a standard pop up mix wafter (none food-bait) which is what I would truly consider unflavoured.

10 hours ago, callum23 said:

i knew that the soak probably wouldn’t go right through.

It will mate. But it takes a looooonnnggg time👍

2 hours ago, yonny said:

I also use unflavoured pop ups regularly. I use them to suspend alternative hookbaits such as naturals (maggots, worms etc) when I want absolutely no synthetic or processed attractors on the spot.

Like that mate - I've seen some of the results of that level of thinking - top man! 😎👍

• 2 months later...
On 14/07/2022 at 07:43, yonny said:

Just whack them in a tub with your chosen glug mate. The best method is to glug lightly on a regular basis rather than drown them once. Shake the tub once a day. They'll be ready to use after a couple of weeks but the longer you leave them the better they get. I have hookbaits that have been glugged for 2 years +. Eventually the glug will get through to the very middle

Be aware that that can change the buoyancy.

I glugged some pop-ups for 6months, but they were all bottom baits when I used them.

Even wooden balls will take on so much glug that they become bottom baits. In fact I used to do this on purpose to beat crayfish.

Wouldnt be pricking then you could end up with a pot of bright bottom baits, pricking them will cause them to take on water faster hence making them heavy, you looking at doing multi liquid combinations with them ? , just add your required liquids to a pot and let them soak in, be careful not to over do it as heavy liquids can also cause an undesired effect