Banksticks

Hi fellas, there are surprisingly few threads on here about Banksticks so thought it ok to start a fresh one …

can’t stand Pods , for a number of reasons , and it’s single sticks all the way for me .

I recently bought some new ones made by a company called Lidsters that I found on EBay but they’re really skinny lightweight and not up to the job especially on the gravelly swims at my new lake , probably down to my decrepit arms and hands as much as anything but they were cheap so I gave em a go and to be honest were not even as good as the cheapo silver Dinsmore sticks that I bought decades ago .

Therefore I’m looking to invest .

I found some half decent looking sticks made by a company called Taska that look a definite upgrade at a tenner a piece ( and I need 6) .

Has anybody had any experience of these or indeed any Taska stuff to give me an idea on quality ? 
Or is it a case here of you get what you pay for with Banksticks ?

Im not a fan of anything stainless really and I prefer Black/Dark colours and came across the pro lite carbon sticks by JAG which look the business but costing about £180 which would hurt for about ten minutes but at the end of the day is it worth shelling out for better ?

Or is it a case of not really mattering about  the quality of the sticks and more to do with getting a grip on a way of getting the damned things in the ground ?

I’ve noticed Jag and Century amongst others do twisty things to help screw your sticks into the ground and some companies sell stabilisers to help keep the sticks in place along with screwy stands for use on wooden platforms but they APPEAR to be for their sticks as opposed to for universal generic sticks … I’ve even seen diggers to pre-make holes to slide your sticks into .

Do these things work ? I’d have thought if you have trouble with getting sticks in the ground , stabilisers won’t be any easier ?

Does the quality and cost matter or is it just me being Carp at it ? 😊

Discussion and recommendations if you please Gentlemen .

And the first person to mention a Pod , I’ll get Nick to ban ‘em 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I use matrix blackout sticks and buzz bars, and they are lovely, I've used cheap ones before and like you have found they don't really last, best thing I bought though was a matrix piledriver that will, dig a hole anywhere for your sticks, I made the mistake of buying cheap stuff and quite often it doesn't last, worth spending a bit I think 

21 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I use matrix blackout sticks and buzz bars, and they are lovely, I've used cheap ones before and like you have found they don't really last, best thing I bought though was a matrix piledriver that will, dig a hole anywhere for your sticks, I made the mistake of buying cheap stuff and quite often it doesn't last, worth spending a bit I think 

I used a thinner steel bankstick last week as a pilot hole, did the trick for the time being.

I'm sorry I am a Solar Stainless person through and through, complete with a rod pod...☺️😂

When I do use single sticks, it is Solar banksticks, some of which are over 20 years old. In fact I nearly always walk my lines out, so I do use a single stick every trip.

The P1 stuff is pricey, but I have tried budget stainless, and yuck, it just didn't have the feel, no ground driver point.

On occasion I need a pilot hole it is tent peg in the ground, then stir it round.

My other suggestion if you want lighter would be the Solar A1 Aluminium sticks or RH Gunsmoke sticks, but I'm sure that the Rod Hutchinson ones are 19.5mm outside diameter, probably the same as your storm sticks.

Well I do occasionally… one or two of my swims are lined with ballast, which after a wet winter set to concrete, so no sticks will get in there! I used cygnet sticks in the past, now I’ve got some stainless but I forget which make, but they were around £12 a stick, they’ve lasted ages. I’ve had cheap sticks in the past, but it is a wasted expense. Buy cheap buy twice. If I want to make a pilot hole, I’ll use either a threaded bivvy peg or a storm stick, they seem to work out quite well. 

started using a pod this year simply for the ease of setting up and putting away, the fox screw point sticks lasted years, my advice get the best screw points you can afford or make a hole borer old screwdriver or something, just don't be a mallet boy guy the other week on a day ticket it was like he was putting a big top up.

my pod and all just go in the barrow side bags no bags in bags.

I use all sorts and if I known what the banks are like, concrete used the pod and dirt or gravel take bits off my trusty fox pod…The front buzz bar and sicks are from the pod, I like the bigger diameter of sticks as they grip in the bank better the back bar is a old Cygnet and the rear stick is a fox black label the original ones which are pretty useless I use a stabiliser with it …

4F38A200-EB0D-40DC-91CE-E34585E5522A.jpeg

3 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

90% of my angling is with sticks ……. Pod only comes out when the ground dictates…….. can’t beat pointing the rod at the bait imo 

Meaning it as a compliment Steve I would consider you quite Old Skool when it comes to this fishing lark so I have a lot of respect for any suggestions or info you come up with ( despite your choice of football team 😊).

Which Sticks do you employ ? I bet you’ve had em for Donkeys …

2 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Hey you lot , I have a question .

What possible practical advantage can you get (and I say you cos I won’t be doing it) by using sticks & buzzbars as opposed to a pod ?

Goalpost sticks and buzzer bars can be more stable in the ground than a pod on it.

The pod is obviously going to be better on Nazeing style hardcore banks or on a wooden platform, and with a guy rope, or bungee or even tie wrap to 'chicken wired' platform.

The only thing better is a stage stand!

Solar buzzer bars until recently had a weakness, the single central thread underneath, but they have now come in with drop-in adaptors.

Oops, just conned myself out of more money...

17 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Meaning it as a compliment Steve I would consider you quite Old Skool when it comes to this fishing lark so I have a lot of respect for any suggestions or info you come up with ( despite your choice of football team 😊).

Which Sticks do you employ ? I bet you’ve had em for Donkeys …

I use solar tbh mate  …..  I use to use them as goal posts but that’s just a pod really …… singles front and back and pointed at the rig as much as possible but I’m not anti pod just stick with what I know tbh matey…….. And I’ve done  my best since I returned not to talk about footy 🙄👍🏼🤣🤣🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

Edited by snowmanstevo

6 minutes ago, snowmanstevo said:

I use solar tbh mate  …..  I use to use them as goal posts but that’s just a pod really …… singles front and back and pointed at the rig as much as possible but I’m not anti pod just stick with what I know tbh matey…….. And I’ve done  my best since I returned not to talk about footy 🙄👍🏼🤣🤣🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

That’s how I see the goal posts , buzz bars etc , might as well use a pod …

I like the rod tip pointing at the bait if possible too for indication purposes.

Always try to be practical rather than tarty .

when feeder fishing it will be either single sticks with a rod rest or old school taget board, but since i started with the carp malarky i must admit a pod is helpful, i go with what ever the venue presents. if hard board or solid base a pod is fine and adaptable but if nice grass/mud then its single sticks for each rod as only use 1 alarm anyway.

still new to all this but some old school stuff still works fine for me such as the bank sticks and quiver tip rests..........

2 hours ago, B B said:

As above,  and for me is the weight saving I’m trying to use the bike more often ..

D7A1C4E7-3C0F-4CC6-8562-79386FFEE454.jpeg

i remeber starting as a kid with rods strapped to my bike and travelling light, when did i start taking so much stuff it became a slog to set up with a bag for this and a bag for that? :)

love that set up mate

18 hours ago, newmarket said:

That’s how I see the goal posts , buzz bars etc , might as well use a pod …

I like the rod tip pointing at the bait if possible too for indication purposes.

Always try to be practical rather than tarty .

Goalposts and buzz bars will much more sturdy than a pod, a properly inserted bank stick won't move on the most extreme takes, pods will, I also think buzz bars just look smart, and as we all know, if your rods ain't level you might as well go home