Resting the swim.

salokcinnodrog

I know this has been discussed in the long ago past.

It's something I do now as a matter of course as I have to reel in every day to take Sky for a walk, so the swim gets a couple of hours with no lines in. 

I've had fish in the past where I had to leave the hookbait in the same spot untouched for 48hours. Fish that I was able to watch hanging around the area after I originally put my hookbait in.

I think that a fair few people also reel in every day to check or change hookbaits, but how much difference do you think it makes?

Iv always wanted to give a swim a rest with no lines in the water but fishing 48hr trips on day tickets I just couldn’t bring myself to do it…. But on a French trip I had 3 good fish on the 1st night but no bites  in daylight, what a great relief that was to get a fish on the 1st day. The second day was a carbon copy of the 1st day so decided for the rest of the week I would pull the rods in at dawn bait up then have a morning kip, then fish it at sunset I kept the fish coming all week, and luckily had the most fish…Do I think no lines in the water helped , I’m not sure but i know it didn’t do any harm. 

42 minutes ago, B B said:

Iv always wanted to give a swim a rest with no lines in the water but fishing 48hr trips on day tickets I just couldn’t bring myself to do it…. But on a French trip I had 3 good fish on the 1st night but no bites  in daylight, what a great relief that was to get a fish on the 1st day. The second day was a carbon copy of the 1st day so decided for the rest of the week I would pull the rods in at dawn bait up then have a morning kip, then fish it at sunset I kept the fish coming all week, and luckily had the most fish…Do I think no lines in the water helped , I’m not sure but i know it didn’t do any harm. 

That's pretty much my approach when doing a week in France. I always reel in at breakfast time (mine, not the carp) and spend some time checking rigs, sharpening hooks and catch up on sleep if necessary. Then, suitably rested and refreshed, bait swims up, cast/boat out and sit down to feed the ducklings. I like ducklings.

Ian.

1 hour ago, welder said:

That's pretty much my approach when doing a week in France. I always reel in at breakfast time (mine, not the carp) and spend some time checking rigs, sharpening hooks and catch up on sleep if necessary. Then, suitably rested and refreshed, bait swims up, cast/boat out and sit down to feed the ducklings. I like ducklings.

Ian.

1 hour ago, welder said:

Ian.

After the morning kip I would grab the spinner gear and go for  wander around the other lakes, stop to chat with other anglers from across Europe ..used to get back to my swim a bit tipsy many a time  🍷

dog walk for me makes things much easier for the rest of the day, took a walk along a river tributary the other day near billing got to be some good eels and the like in there. also if i have one or two in the night i don't put those rods back out till the morning mainly due to overhead trees or thick snags nothing worse than a rod stuck in a tree in the dark.