Tent/Bivvie Colour

Tuckab

Alright all,

Does this actually matter much? I'm going overnight soon and have a sky-blue tent and an olive green one. I've found myself a little bit nervy with regards the sky blue one in case the sky isn't clear and people get the hump but I'm wondering whether there's any actual evidence the colour of the tent/bivvie has any tangible impact.

It's the movement that spooks fish, isn't it, rather than the colour?

Some venues have a rule stating 'bivvies only, no tents'.

Depending on where you're fishing it my help to blend in with the background, but if the venue doesn't prohibit tents or specific colours, why not. If others on a public venue get the hump, surely that's their problem, not yours.

If they really get upset about it, next time take along a disco ball and start that up in your tent at midnight and make it look like a rave! :lol:

A lot of venues do state that tents aren't allowed. I assume it's in case anyone turns up with a family size job. Saying that, some bivvies these day's are so big, you drive a van in.

A mate of mine was fishing a lake a good few years ago and brought his missus along and she put up a multi-coloured wind-break. A jobsworths bailiff decided it didn't conform and chucked him off! 

4 hours ago, framey said:

Ask the question at the fishery 

don’t get kicked of because you have the wrong thing

Got to agree. Increasing numbers of fisheries only allow "proper" bivvies. I struggle to understand why but their place, their rules I guess.

Ian.

Check with the fishery.

If the weather is dry enough, maybe no need for a tent for an overnight session, so nobody is any the worse off.

As @newmarket puts it, I'm a lunatic, but sleeping under the stars is fine.

In terms of the tents, olive green is more country coloured over the blue. Come to that though, ridge tents or dome style?

That in itself is a fun one as if you have a low green dome tent you could 'get away with it'.

I always check with the venue - sometimes I do prefer the shelter of a tent - but I was just wondering why it's a thing. Why are camo bivvies seen as the zenith of bank accommodation.

Is there any real hard evidence that the fish notice this? Or is it to benefit the anglers?

It's probably a perception thing and to 'keep out the Noddy/non-serious carp anglers'. As with everything in life, there's snobs.

I'm surprised anyone takes up fishing with the way some people go on. What with phrases like 'all the gear and no idea' and other ways they try to look down on noobs or those that can't afford to have the latest bite alarm/rod/reel/bankware/chair/bivvy.........

2 minutes ago, InteraX said:

It's probably a perception thing and to 'keep out the Noddy/non-serious carp anglers'. As with everything in life, there's snobs.

I'm surprised anyone takes up fishing with the way some people go on. What with phrases like 'all the gear and no idea' and other ways they try to look down on noobs or those that can't afford to have the latest bite alarm/rod/reel/bankware/chair/bivvy.........

Carp fishing has been an almost impenetrable cult for ages. 

I got into it relatively late on but was supported by a history of silver-fish and river fish angling. I could cloak my inexperience. 

Imagine walking into a tackle shop now and asking for a beginners set-up. It would just be an incredible learning curve. 

A fair bit of rubbish spoken in the last few posts imho.

Let's face it, no-one wants to sit on the bank looking at red, yellow and blue tents. It's bad enough with all the khaki/olive and camo shelters lined up along the bank. It's supposed to be a fishery, not a campsite. These places are so busy now we can at least do our tiny little bit to blend in to the countryside by purchasing a green shelter. You can pick them up for the same price as standard tent if you look around.

35 minutes ago, Tuckab said:

Why are camo bivvies seen as the zenith of bank accommodation.

They're not imo. In fact I'd say you'll find plenty of anglers that snigger at this camo revolution that seems to be happening this past few years. I am more than happy with my olive brolly but, if we talk logically, if anything should be camouflaged it should be the biggest/most obtrusive thing...... which is the shelter.

Each to their own at the end of the day but I can think of nothing worse than sitting staring at brightly coloured tents all day.

12 minutes ago, yonny said:

A fair bit of rubbish spoken in the last few posts imho.

Let's face it, no-one wants to sit on the bank looking at red, yellow and blue tents. It's bad enough with all the khaki/olive and camo shelters lined up along the bank. It's supposed to be a fishery, not a campsite. These places are so busy now we can at least do our tiny little bit to blend in to the countryside by purchasing a green shelter. You can pick them up for the same price as standard tent if you look around.

They're not imo. In fact I'd say you'll find plenty of anglers that snigger at this camo revolution that seems to be happening this past few years. I am more than happy with my olive brolly but, if we talk logically, if anything should be camouflaged it should be the biggest/most obtrusive thing...... which is the shelter.

Each to their own at the end of the day but I can think of nothing worse than sitting staring at brightly coloured tents all day.

Great response.

I've no dog in the fight either way; I was just interested in hearing people's perceptions of why these things are frowned upon. 

The fishery and natural world makes a great point. A brolly, bed-chair, and bag are more than serviceable in the summer months (mostly) and look way better than a crowded bank. I can see the point of having a full tent set-up during the winter months, however. 

11 minutes ago, Tuckab said:

A brolly, bed-chair, and bag are more than serviceable in the summer months (mostly) and look way better than a crowded bank.

I totally agree👍. I am happy to fish through winter under a little brolly too. Decent clothes and sleeping bag are the most important things for winter imo.

So I always try to make myself as invisible as possible on the bank, no matter where the fishery is..

People wearing bright colours in the countryside annoy me to the point that when I see roadside walkers wearing the compulsory yellow or orange, I want to run them over!.

Summer in the UK does not need a shelter, winter is entirely different.

This photo was taken of me on a seriously secret squirrel fishery in the south some years ago, well before the circus got there and ruined the place.bm.thumb.JPG.252041e3fc463dd01f32410b1c877336.JPG

7 hours ago, yonny said:

I can vans and cars ruining the vista and blocking the tracks annoy me and when people are with vehicle  they also open and close them all the time and slam the doors to make sure they are shut and worse drive past your bivvy, 

When in Rome though, i don't see why I should be the only one pushing a barrow 😂

I only use a 50” oval brolly, if it’s needed, I haven’t used my proper bivvy in years. I asked a few fisheries why they don’t allow tents etc, their reply was simple, it came down to insurance - they are not running a campsite their insurance apparently won’t allow tents. How true that it is and what the legal difference between a blue tent and a green bivvy is, I couldn’t say! 

4 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I only use a 50” oval brolly, if it’s needed, I haven’t used my proper bivvy in years. I asked a few fisheries why they don’t allow tents etc, their reply was simple, it came down to insurance - they are not running a campsite their insurance apparently won’t allow tents. How true that it is and what the legal difference between a blue tent and a green bivvy is, I couldn’t say! 

ironically it comes down to local planning permission as bivvy's are classed as a temporary shelter but the use of a tent means the site could potentially have to register as a campsite and it depends on what their stated description of the site is for. it came up a few years back in my course fishing days as wanted to do an overnighter with my daughter and only had the standard 2 man little green tent and asked the bailiff, he was good about it and explained why i couldn't use it and pointede out that it's a bit silly when you could book 5 nights on the site but stay in a bivvy but not 5 nights and stay in a tent.............

On 01/07/2022 at 11:32, Tuckab said:

Great response.

I've no dog in the fight either way; I was just interested in hearing people's perceptions of why these things are frowned upon. 

The fishery and natural world makes a great point. A brolly, bed-chair, and bag are more than serviceable in the summer months (mostly) and look way better than a crowded bank. I can see the point of having a full tent set-up during the winter months, however. 

I use a brolly all year round, in the colder months I will some times use the front and a groundsheet 👍

On the reservoir I was fishing last night some guy had what I believe was two trakker tempest bivvies with a middle skin so it made one massive bivvy. Next to it he had a green toilet tent set up... 200 yards down the bank you have multiple toilets, showers etc 🤷‍♂️😂 

On 02/07/2022 at 07:19, ouchthathurt said:

that's the one third party liability same for boats and swimming, if carp angling wasn't such a money sport three and four day sessions would be banned due needing a sleep it's a very grey area.

On 02/07/2022 at 13:44, jh92 said:

I use a brolly all year round, in the colder months I will some times use the front and a groundsheet 👍

On the reservoir I was fishing last night some guy had what I believe was two trakker tempest bivvies with a middle skin so it made one massive bivvy. Next to it he had a green toilet tent set up... 200 yards down the bank you have multiple toilets, showers etc 🤷‍♂️😂 

What’s wrong with the old carrier bag in the bait bucket routine?? 🙄

On 01/07/2022 at 12:55, levigsp said:

So I always try to make myself as invisible as possible on the bank, no matter where the fishery is..

People wearing bright colours in the countryside annoy me to the point that when I see roadside walkers wearing the compulsory yellow or orange, I want to run them over!.

Summer in the UK does not need a shelter, winter is entirely different.

This photo was taken of me on a seriously secret squirrel fishery in the south some years ago, well before the circus got there and ruined the place.bm.thumb.JPG.252041e3fc463dd01f32410b1c877336.JPG

Problem is that if they wore colours that blended into the road then people in cars may hit them 

I knew a girl who went skiing in an all white outfit because she didn’t want to stand out …. I said there’s a reason they are bright coloured if you think about it lol

horses for courses  I say 

17 hours ago, framey said:

Problem is that if they wore colours that blended into the road then people in cars may hit them 

I knew a girl who went skiing in an all white outfit because she didn’t want to stand out …. I said there’s a reason they are bright coloured if you think about it lol

horses for courses  I say 

Please try not to think of me as being rude, but I am honest.                                                  I take your comment smacks of a townie comment.                                                             I am an old man now, I have walked all over the UK, more miles than most, I have cycled as a child and I rode motor cycles all over the world and I have NEVER worn brightly coloured clothes to show up, strange that I and millions of others are still here.

There are places where its necessary. French shoot days, work places, at sea, rest of the time its pure pollution.