Estate Lakes Rigs

Carpbell_ll

anyone tried these or got any thoughts if you google the thread title and watch the vids on youtube there are the rig bits for sale don't want to link as it's a guys own product, the end knot that holds the hook looks a bit dodgy looks like it really needs care when setting up.

Anyone going to give them a go? 

I've just watched how to tie that viper rig.

Whilst I like the idea of the hook being able to spin as freely as that, my biggest concern is that the hook is not tied to the line. When you get a fish on, the hook will at some point, either gradually or suddenly slide up the line and start pulling on the back of the knot against the bait spike. If this happens suddenly, the longitudinal force required to stop the hook against the bait spike could easily be multiple times the average force at which point either the line or knot could break. Additionally, knots are tied such that you are not supposed to be pulling against the back of the knot, you should be putting the force on the line going into the knot from the other side. Their strength would be massively weakened by pulling the hook up to the knot on the bait spike and then pulling the hook on the back of the knot.

Personally, (k)not one for me. :D

19 minutes ago, InteraX said:

I've just watched how to tie that viper rig.

Whilst I like the idea of the hook being able to spin as freely as that, my biggest concern is that the hook is not tied to the line. When you get a fish on, the hook will at some point, either gradually or suddenly slide up the line and start pulling on the back of the knot against the bait spike. If this happens suddenly, the longitudinal force required to stop the hook against the bait spike could easily be multiple times the average force at which point either the line or knot could break. Additionally, knots are tied such that you are not supposed to be pulling against the back of the knot, you should be putting the force on the line going into the knot from the other side. Their strength would be massively weakened by pulling the hook up to the knot on the bait spike and then pulling the hook on the back of the knot.

Personally, (k)not one for me. :D

Years ago, pictured in Tim Paisley's To Catch a Carp was a rig with the line just going through the eye of the hook, as the hair with bait on that. At the end of the hair was a bead or rig ring tied on in case of the boilie collapsing.

Fiddly to tie, and a fresh hooklink for every fish.

Like you I would worry about losing fish to an end of line knot or loop giving way.

I don't get enough pick ups to lose fish!

I'm always wary of ready made shop bought rigs, but for those with difficulties tying rigs I can understand the need. 

Any tackle brand that sells bits and pieces of end tackle is surely a good thing, but as with every one, tackle must be suitable for purpose and 'fish safe', as in we should not be leaving tackle out for potential tethering etc.