Prices shooting up …

Mike Wilmott posted a message on the Essential baits Faceache group today apologising that due to cost of ingredients rising they have had to raise their prices . 

Fresh/Freezer baits have gone up by more than a £ a kilo even for bulk purchases . 
I’ll now have to buy 20k of bait to get my boilies at the same rate I was previously getting on a 10kg order and they have temporarily had to stop production of Shelfies due to the rising cost of preservatives albeit they don’t use as much as a lot of other companies.

An example given was the cost of Egg albumen . A ton pallet that cost 7 grand eight months ago now costs them £18.5k .

Now I won’t defect to another firm , after all when you have confidence in a bait it’s difficult to look elsewhere but I haven’t the freezer space so there’ll be a lot of air drying going on very shortly .

But where will it end ? Tackle prices doubling recently on certain items and now bait …

Anyone else’s bait company doing similar ?

10 hours ago, framey said:

Let’s be honest 

everyone expects bait to be cheap but there is loads of overheads in it for others rather than Fred in a shed 

over 6£ a kilo and everyone moans lol

I’m not moaning though , just bringing up a topic for discussion.

Until now the prices at Essential ( and I’m only using them as an example because I actually know about it) have been the same on bulk deals as they were in 2016 when my final purchase was made pre-sabbatical.

I understand from the forum that the price of everything else has been slowly creeping up since then but this appears to be quite a hike , citing not only overheads but Brexit and the massive energy price increases affecting the cost of raw materials… the EA being such an example.

And I wondered if it was just Essential or whether other bait companies have followed /are following suit ?

Personally I blame that donkey  Bojo and his toy soldiers 🤣

2 hours ago, newmarket said:

I’m not moaning though , just bringing up a topic for discussion.

Until now the prices at Essential ( and I’m only using them as an example because I actually know about it) have been the same on bulk deals as they were in 2016 when my final purchase was made pre-sabbatical.

I understand from the forum that the price of everything else has been slowly creeping up since then but this appears to be quite a hike , citing not only overheads but Brexit and the massive energy price increases affecting the cost of raw materials… the EA being such an example.

And I wondered if it was just Essential or whether other bait companies have followed /are following suit ?

Personally I blame that donkey  Bojo and his toy soldiers 🤣

Baitworks mentioned the huge increase in raw material cost on their podcast last month so it must be all around, I've been looking for some deals for my holiday but they don't seem to be there at the moment so I think it will be affecting them all and I guess you have to wonder if some companies will be forced to leave Ingredients out or at lower levels to combat this? 

I blame Bozo for everything  👍

It's all round, you'll find the smaller the company the larger the price increase due to lack of buying power. Home rollers will be hit hard as they cant order in bulk. 

As with everything the prices will go up, same with dry particle prices too. Think we will see people using less bait for sure.

i blame putin the nasty little git russia should join nato and things would be sweet.

just back from from a bit of shopping for a fishing trip, hardly bought anything all food for me and the dog plus cold drinks shocking at the till, screw fit gas cans are getting low go outdoors never had any, that's a first. 

8 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I just ordered my basemix from premier baits and the price remained the same. It was a month ago mind, I’m pretty sure I used to be able to get an Robin Red version of my base, but it wasn’t in the range this time round. (Unless I imagined it!) 

Doesn't the (Plus) mean the inclusion of Robin red in the Matrix mix?

I went onto the Aminos Plus - but can't remember what the extra ingredients were.

Hmm!

Gas and electricity has doubled in cost.

My grocery shopping started going up in 2020, from £30 a week to around £50 now, that is at the supermarkets.

Dog food, still around £12 for 15kilos, which is a months complete dry food for Sky.

My greengrocer and local butchers prices are the same, where I get my vegetables and meat from, as much as possible locally grown. Quality is SO MUCH BETTER.

Tackle shop prices on gas canisters have gone up by £1 to £1.50, yet the Camping and Caravan stores price is the same.

To be honest, it looks like supermarkets are raising prices, yet local shops aren't yet.

I'm going to be checking prices carefully for PVA products as that is my usual need to restock.

I did a large bait order a couple of months ago so aren't panicking yet.

58 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Doesn't the (Plus) mean the inclusion of Robin red in the Matrix mix?

I went onto the Aminos Plus - but can't remember what the extra ingredients were.

You may well be right mate, I had it in my head that it was called matrix RR, but I got the matrix plus anyway, now merrily feeding it into my target lake, only a few kg a trip, but a good bait pays dividends! 

3 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I heard on the grapevine that Prestige have been bought out by Korda... expect  huuuuge price increases from Saint Danny of Fairbrass's mob if that is the case...

To be fair when I was looking at prestige barrows a while ago, they had already increased the prices quite a lot, and they never seemed to be in stock in a lot of shops, can't do any harm I don't think 

Something i have learned recently , is that some bait company's bring out a bait  ,It does really well catching lots of fish , once said bait becomes established they start cutting the ingredients ,to increase profits , but still keeping the same color , same smell , to increase profits 

17 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

You may well be right mate, I had it in my head that it was called matrix RR, but I got the matrix plus anyway, now merrily feeding it into my target lake, only a few kg a trip, but a good bait pays dividends! 

My first bait from premier was the matrix RR with matrix flavour. Was an awesome bait, smashed up some tough lakes with that bait years back. I'm actually going down there next weekend so I'll ask him what the crack is regarding RR. I know in the past he has had agro dealing with a certain company so maybe that's come to ahead. Also RR changed over the years. It wasn't noticeable in a fishmeal but in a milk the colur difference was alarming so I'm guessing haiths had changed the mix due to whatever reason. Premier have always been honest regarding ingredients with me etc but I bet some firms will be cutting or swapping ingredients that they are no longer able to get due to brexit ,high import taxes, general costs etc and not telling the customer.  

1 hour ago, emmcee said:

My first bait from premier was the matrix RR with matrix flavour. Was an awesome bait, smashed up some tough lakes with that bait years back. I'm actually going down there next weekend so I'll ask him what the crack is regarding RR. I know in the past he has had agro dealing with a certain company so maybe that's come to ahead. Also RR changed over the years. It wasn't noticeable in a fishmeal but in a milk the colur difference was alarming so I'm guessing haiths had changed the mix due to whatever reason. Premier have always been honest regarding ingredients with me etc but I bet some firms will be cutting or swapping ingredients that they are no longer able to get due to brexit ,high import taxes, general costs etc and not telling the customer.  

I’ve been a die hard premier baits user since 1997 and have so much confidence in them, to the point if I’m not fishing a home made premier bait on the end, my confidence levels drop. I can’t fault the service from premier, in all the years I’ve been ordering bait, I’ve never had a duff batch. The matrix is the base I’m on now, it’s awesome stuff. 

6 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

You really have become fan boy 🤣👍

Yep, I got fed up looking at prestige stuff in the end, i wanted a mk2 for ages as I had one years ago, but they never seemed to be in stock anywhere and when they did get stock they had bumped up the prices quite a lot, In the end with prices and everything factored in the Mk2 with luggage and bits it was the worst deal out of the 3 I had shortlisted, I went for the trakker and don't regret it yet 

Edited by elmoputney

8 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I’ve been a die hard premier baits user since 1997 and have so much confidence in them, to the point if I’m not fishing a home made premier bait on the end, my confidence levels drop. I can’t fault the service from premier, in all the years I’ve been ordering bait, I’ve never had a duff batch. The matrix is the base I’m on now, it’s awesome stuff. 

If I remember rightly I started with them in 1998. Matrix RR was my first bait I used.  Sadly a few desperado's found out what I was on and got the bait through Geoff Bowers and fished off my back. I then went on to a custom supaminos bait and stuck with that and it would be my go to to this day .Had a play about with a lot of their baits over the years mind, catching on all. The best of which for me was the pro-fruit. As you say, never had a bad batch and nothing but great customer service. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2022 at 18:01, ouchthathurt said:

45965ADA-1253-40CE-A52A-5AA9148ECBB3.thumb.png.96d8fb4bbc580a4d8069855cc4d1c627.pngmatrix plus 

6658EC1A-DCD8-4A31-A6BD-67924B953616.thumb.png.e34d4876c369936525018b4b58a56e8e.pngmatrix (the one I got - not the matrix plus as previously stated) the RR mixes seem to have gone. 

An update on premier. As said, I was down at premier last weekend and basically he is on his own doing the bait now. It used to be one person on hookbaits, one on making paste,  a couple rolling and one boiling etc but not anymore. Well it's tony and his wife with no other staff so updating the website etc hasn't been a priority for them. They still do matrix RR,  you just need to call them. 

Great, thanks mate! I’ll give him a shout when I next need to replace my basemix supplies. The “regular” matrix is doing the business anyway, I could always add the RR separately if I felt I need it, but I’ve not noticed a difference in catch rates between the matrix and matrix RR. I firmly believe that a high quality basemix, fished well will always do the business. They get better the more you use them, Ive been feeding about 2-3kg every weekend (with the odd one missed) using about 1.5kg over 3 rods (including hookbaits and stringers) then depositing the rest in other known carpy haunts as I leave. it’s a small venue with very little in the way of nuisance fish (lots of little perch and a few big eels) with a respectable head of commons to 31lb, I can practically cast into every corner of the lake from the mid point swim, so ladling in 10kg every trip would be counterproductive I think. 

1 hour ago, emmcee said:

An update on premier. As said, I was down at premier last weekend and basically he is on his own doing the bait now. It used to be one person on hookbaits, one on making paste,  a couple rolling and one boiling etc but not anymore. Well it's tony and his wife with no other staff so updating the website etc hasn't been a priority for them. They still do matrix RR,  you just need to call them. 

Sounds like he’s a busy boy now .

Maybe laying off Staff in order to keep his prices down is one way of reducing overheads and is to be commended with obvious sympathy for those that lost their jobs ( if indeed that IS the case , I’m obviously just guessing).

As an aside , Shelf life are now back on the menu at Essential.

Mr Wilmott has obviously sourced what he needs from elsewhere.

Bit late for me though as I was already committed to 20kg of fresh stuff . My garden is now full of air drying bags as I only managed to squeeze 5kg into the freezer .

In the words of the song , there’s a whole lot of shaking going on 😂