Lunatopes/JRC indicators

Hi chaps 

just got some Lunatopes off ebay, I’ve not used isotopes before but was under the impression they where glass tubes of radioactive gas that glows well for years!

I was under the impression Lunatopes where the same thing, but was confused when I saw the little uv torch that comes with them, the same thing I use to charge up my fluorescent plastic baits? These things just look like Florescent bits of plastic, I wanted them to illuminate my new JRC swingers, but on fitting they are very dull and only really last half an hour, have I been ripped here? I got a pack of 4 for 20 quid which I thought was cheap, but in retrospect £5 for a 1.5cm bit of fluro plastic is pretty steep!

any suggestions on good illumination for these hangers, 3mmx 1.5cm and has to go behind a clear plastic coloured “screen?”.

any advice or suggestions will be awesome chaps!

DC19F00C-50BD-4787-BAE0-2B60AD0B1A04.jpeg

29 minutes ago, mucky pup said:

Hi chaps 

just got some Lunatopes off ebay, I’ve not used isotopes before but was under the impression they where glass tubes of radioactive gas that glows well for years!

I was under the impression Lunatopes where the same thing, but was confused when I saw the little uv torch that comes with them, the same thing I use to charge up my fluorescent plastic baits? These things just look like Florescent bits of plastic, I wanted them to illuminate my new JRC swingers, but on fitting they are very dull and only really last half an hour, have I been ripped here? I got a pack of 4 for 20 quid which I thought was cheap, but in retrospect £5 for a 1.5cm bit of fluro plastic is pretty steep!

any suggestions on good illumination for these hangers, 3mmx 1.5cm and has to go behind a clear plastic coloured “screen?”.

any advice or suggestions will be awesome chaps!

DC19F00C-50BD-4787-BAE0-2B60AD0B1A04.jpeg

Isotopes are usually made of tritium have a 1/2 life of 4500 days (lets call it 10 years). The glow from an isotope will be less than 1/2 as bright as when you purchased them after 10 years, but they will be glowing constantly over that time. If you want a constant glow, then isotopes are the only way to go.

Those UV reactive things will initially glow much brighter than an isotope, but will fade off very quickly and I can't imagine them giving off any light after an hour. Similar idea, but the energy can't be stored in the phosphor for much longer than an hour total.

Were you had? Check the listing and read the details. All the isotopes on ebay seem to start at £9.

44 minutes ago, mucky pup said:

Yeah it’s just me assuming that as the name had iso in it, it was an isotope.

I’ve just paid 20 quid for the equivalent of 4 fluro bits of sweetcorn lol

We've all done something similar at one time or another. It's probably not worth returning at that cost.

Our outstanding Lunatopes are your brighter than bright, luminous, non-toxic, isotope replacements.  The Lunatopes come in a sets of 2, 3 or 4 and in various sizes to fit your existing equipment.  Simply fit the Lunatopes into your bobbins to light up your tackle at night time, for up to 7 hours glowing time.  The Lunatopes are charged by UV light, so the daylight will charge them to full brightness, or a few seconds of light from your headtorch will also re-charge.  The Lunatopes will glow at maximum brightness when charged for the first 30-40 minutes and will slowly dim over the 6 hour period. Recharge at any time to restore full brightness. They can be charged repeatedly and an unlimited amount of times.

I hadn't heard of them before I have used the (very low level) radio active isoptopes in the past. To be fair, the product description does specify what you can expect. Should be OK for a summer overnighter but wouldn't be brilliant for a winter session.