Rods Pods and Day Tickets…

newmarket

8 minutes ago, crusian said:

Another epic tale Newmarket ! .

It's like watching your favourite soap , wondering what is going to happen to the hero next .

I can also think " oh , I've got that problem , how will Newmarket deal with it ? 🤔 " .

😃

Thanks Crus , it’s going to be quite a challenge finding the bigguns that’s for sure .

First thing I’ll be doing is shopping around for some huge hookbaits. 
24 millers don’t make a damn bit of difference that’s for sure .

me and problem solving ? I’m definitely not the one to ask 🤣🤣

Edited by newmarket

21 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Thanks Crus , it’s going to be quite a challenge finding the bigguns that’s for sure .

Newmarket, I am honestly of the opinion that you are documenting all your experiences on here as preparation for writing a book. Something with a title along the lines of 'The Accidental Angler'. I think you would do the title more justice than Charles Rangeley-Wilson.

I just hope for your sake you and knowing your luck that you have the write ups saved somewhere else.

7 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Excellent read, and well done catching that many in a session,

have you thought about trying a blatent pop up rig that may help you get through to the bigger ones and maybe slow down the bites a bit 

I hadn’t thought of that Elmo . At least I’d could find time to eat 😂

On 21/06/2022 at 09:15, newmarket said:

Hi Newmarket 

I wonder if it would work if you baited an area which attracted the smaller carp , but then fished a little  away from the baited area where hopefully the big boys and girls were lurking as they don't fancy having to fight for their food .

Alternatively I'm sure there was a thread once which recommended a high pop up - 2" or 3" ? .

I can't remember , are you allowed to floater fish ? .

😃

On 21/06/2022 at 09:15, newmarket said:

Yes I did merge the posts,  the joys of phone upload limits.

I do like the bivvy, at least you have room around it now. Do you use the inner rib liner? I was struggling with mine this week, cramp in my fingers and I couldn't pop the clips onto the ribs.

The other good thing is that you don't need to put the front arch poles in place as just a Brolly and can get away with them or Storm sticks. 

After the times you've had, I'm glad you're catching, but like you, those little fellas do get a bit much after a while.

2x 24mm baits...

The other options I would have thought of both Elmo and Crusian have come up with.

Are there any particular spots the larger fish come out of?

May not be fashionable but the corner swims might be an option.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Yes I did merge the posts,  the joys of phone upload limits.

I do like the bivvy, at least you have room around it now. Do you use the inner rib liner? I was struggling with mine this week, cramp in my fingers and I couldn't pop the clips onto the ribs.

The other good thing is that you don't need to put the front arch poles in place as just a Brolly and can get away with them or Storm sticks. 

After the times you've had, I'm glad you're catching, but like you, those little fellas do get a bit much after a while.

2x 24mm baits...

The other options I would have thought of both Elmo and Crusian have come up with.

Are there any particular spots the larger fish come out of?

May not be fashionable but the corner swims might be an option.

Hi Nick mate. Ya know , I literally never got time to have a play with the brolly . 
setting my rods up first to get fishing really bit me on the bum .

Next time I’ll be setting up “camp” first 😊.

Time on the lake will hopefully teach me about any particular big-Ger fish locations , the owner appears to be quite transparent and forthcoming with info like that as is his trusty Bailiff so I’ll be working on it , but ya know mate , I’m not one of these people that expect all the work done for them .

You probably haven’t read this phrase on here for a while but I’m quite content to do my apprenticeship on this little lake and learn as I go . I’m just so happy to be out of the Essex day ticket rat race . It’s small it’s quiet and it’s local , and I don’t have to dump in a carrier bag .🤣I really couldn’t ask for more at the moment . 
I contacted Mike Wilmott who advised me to not only try large double hookbaits , slicing off flat spots and mounting two baits together , but also make my own big 40millers using paste .

Its the identical paste the B5/Black Snail boilies are rolled from , I just need a bit of guidance when the time comes as to boiling times for such huge baits . I’ll want em hard but not too hard that I can’t hair rig em .

You lot have always been a huge help to me in my fishing and I take everything on board and I’ll be trying all suggestions .

But as I say , I’m in no rush .

Even if I only fish with one rod . With such an empty lake the stalking opportunities will be endless .

So far I’ve met one other Carp Angler and 2 pole fishermen in a whole weekend .

And I’m told that was busy .

50 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Hi Nick mate. Ya know , I literally never got time to have a play with the brolly . 
setting my rods up first to get fishing really bit me on the bum .

Next time I’ll be setting up “camp” first 😊.

Time on the lake will hopefully teach me about any particular big-Ger fish locations , the owner appears to be quite transparent and forthcoming with info like that as is his trusty Bailiff so I’ll be working on it , but ya know mate , I’m not one of these people that expect all the work done for them .

You probably haven’t read this phrase on here for a while but I’m quite content to do my apprenticeship on this little lake and learn as I go . I’m just so happy to be out of the Essex day ticket rat race . It’s small it’s quiet and it’s local , and I don’t have to dump in a carrier bag .🤣I really couldn’t ask for more at the moment . 
I contacted Mike Wilmott who advised me to not only try large double hookbaits , slicing off flat spots and mounting two baits together , but also make my own big 40millers using paste .

Its the identical paste the B5/Black Snail boilies are rolled from , I just need a bit of guidance when the time comes as to boiling times for such huge baits . I’ll want em hard but not too hard that I can’t hair rig em .

You lot have always been a huge help to me in my fishing and I take everything on board and I’ll be trying all suggestions .

But as I say , I’m in no rush .

Even if I only fish with one rod . With such an empty lake the stalking opportunities will be endless .

So far I’ve met one other Carp Angler and 2 pole fishermen in a whole weekend .

And I’m told that was busy .

I'm nearly always rods out first, then bivvy. Finally after coffee I'll put some bait in. Sometimes it's coffee before bivvy, and that my friend is why....

Basically I bait up after fishing over a PVA bag or so and giving it a couple of hours. 

The ONLY exception of the bivvy going up first is if it's raining.

Boiling times for 40mm baits, 2minutes tops, but dry for 24hours before freezing, or putting into dip. You might get away with 2mins 30 seconds, but I never found any longer made them any harder. I do have some mega hard hookbaits myself. I drill them before sticking bait needle through them.

Mike Wilmott might say different times but he knows his mixes.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm nearly always rods out first, then bivvy. Finally after coffee I'll put some bait in. Sometimes it's coffee before bivvy, and that my friend is why....

Basically I bait up after fishing over a PVA bag or so and giving it a couple of hours. 

The ONLY exception of the bivvy going up first is if it's raining.

Boiling times for 40mm baits, 2minutes tops, but dry for 24hours before freezing, or putting into dip. You might get away with 2mins 30 seconds, but I never found any longer made them any harder. I do have some mega hard hookbaits myself. I drill them before sticking bait needle through them.

Mike Wilmott might say different times but he knows his mixes.

The only reason that Bivvy will be going up first is so it can .

If last week is a guide those little cypri-tornado’s won’t give me any peace and if the weathers a bit iffy next time then I wanna make sure I can get the wrap on before the heavens open 🙄

• 4 weeks later...

Well today I started to construct some 40mm-ish hookbaits .

Mike Wilmott from Essential bait had advised me to try making some from their paste so thought I’d give it a try today.

I got some of their B5 shellfish paste along with some Black snail , 3 x 100g balls of each to start with as it’s just an experiment.

As to be expected I turned to our Nick for any advice he could offer as although I had made my own boilies a few years ago , tweaking an Odyssey xxx base mix , I don’t have any means to roll anything bigger than 20mm.

He told me that a few mm of paste wrapped around a 20mm cork ball should achieve a zero or neutral buoyancy Boilie boiled for a couple of minutes . 
Anyway I could only source 19mm balls . the texture of the pastes upon defrosting were quite different , the Snail staying together and rolled out with a mini rolling pin made 4 approx 40mm baits …they only needed to be approximate I’m no perfectionist even when it comes to fishing .

The B5 on the other hand had a completely different texture and kept flaking and falling into little parts . Years ago I might have added some oil to keep it together but Mr Wilmott has obviously seen this before , after all it’s his paste , and having told me this might happen advised dipping my hands in lukewarm water which did the trick and I was able to roll the paste between the palms of my hands . I needed more paste for this though in order to keep it together , I only managed to get 3 baits out of 100g of paste . 
now as I say , I’m no perfectionist , it was difficult to tell the thickness of paste around the finished baits or even if the cork balls were central within the paste but I don’t really care tbh , at least not until I see how they react in a glass of water once they’ve dried out properly in a couple of days . If they waft that’s fine if they don’t that’s fine too .

Im pretty sure they won’t pop up properly as I’ve used too much paste . Over the weekend I’ll experiment some more and make some solid boilies (the plan being merely to stop 5lbers getting them in their mouths and buzzing off with em 🤣.

I have some wooden balls in various sizes I’d like to utilise but the problem there is they are pre-drilled balls which will make it difficult to keep attached to the rig so if anybody has any ideas on how to get around this then I’m all ears (or eyes of course).

Plan is to dry em out for a day or 2 and add some liquid food or glug every now & again in preparation for my session weekend of 29th July .

Here is a couple of pics , firstly of todays end product and also the Combi rig I intend to stick em on next weekend .BB29FAFF-8263-47E3-ACF2-DC6735FD8961.thumb.jpeg.ac87a18ac4916d86d3f5f186948d8650.jpeg

On 21/07/2022 at 15:36, newmarket said:

Well today I started to construct some 40mm-ish hookbaits .

Mike Wilmott from Essential bait had advised me to try making some from their paste so thought I’d give it a try today.

I got some of their B5 shellfish paste along with some Black snail , 3 x 100g balls of each to start with as it’s just an experiment.

As to be expected I turned to our Nick for any advice he could offer as although I had made my own boilies a few years ago , tweaking an Odyssey xxx base mix , I don’t have any means to roll anything bigger than 20mm.

He told me that a few mm of paste wrapped around a 20mm cork ball should achieve a zero or neutral buoyancy Boilie boiled for a couple of minutes . 
Anyway I could only source 19mm balls . the texture of the pastes upon defrosting were quite different , the Snail staying together and rolled out with a mini rolling pin made 4 approx 40mm baits …they only needed to be approximate I’m no perfectionist even when it comes to fishing .

The B5 on the other hand had a completely different texture and kept flaking and falling into little parts . Years ago I might have added some oil to keep it together but Mr Wilmott has obviously seen this before , after all it’s his paste , and having told me this might happen advised dipping my hands in lukewarm water which did the trick and I was able to roll the paste between the palms of my hands . I needed more paste for this though in order to keep it together , I only managed to get 3 baits out of 100g of paste . 
now as I say , I’m no perfectionist , it was difficult to tell the thickness of paste around the finished baits or even if the cork balls were central within the paste but I don’t really care tbh , at least not until I see how they react in a glass of water once they’ve dried out properly in a couple of days . If they waft that’s fine if they don’t that’s fine too .

Im pretty sure they won’t pop up properly as I’ve used too much paste . Over the weekend I’ll experiment some more and make some solid boilies (the plan being merely to stop 5lbers getting them in their mouths and buzzing off with em 🤣.

I have some wooden balls in various sizes I’d like to utilise but the problem there is they are pre-drilled balls which will make it difficult to keep attached to the rig so if anybody has any ideas on how to get around this then I’m all ears (or eyes of course).

Plan is to dry em out for a day or 2 and add some liquid food or glug every now & again in preparation for my session weekend of 29th July .

Here is a couple of pics , firstly of todays end product and also the Combi rig I intend to stick em on next weekend .BB29FAFF-8263-47E3-ACF2-DC6735FD8961.thumb.jpeg.ac87a18ac4916d86d3f5f186948d8650.jpeg

See if you can pinch mushroom trays from a local pub or restaurant kitchen, give air drying room.

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

See if you can pinch mushroom trays from a local pub or restaurant kitchen, give air drying room.

I have a small , well 40mm problem . One of my prototypes has formed a rather large crack the size of  the San Andreas fault ….

how can I stop this happening ? I’m scared to use a baiting needle in the ‘good’ ones …

On 21/07/2022 at 15:36, newmarket said:

Ah yes, I should have replied earlier, but was miles away at my Dad's.

How big are the holes through the middle?

A normal loop knot on the hair is usually tight on my wooden balls. (Oh er!)

I often tie on a meshed pop up to the hair loop end, it holds the ball in place.

If bigger, a piece of braid pulled through, knot the two ends together tightly leaving extra as a tag end and you can attach it to the hair loop, or even rig ring on the shank.

59 minutes ago, newmarket said:

have a small , well 40mm problem . One of my prototypes has formed a rather large crack the size of  the San Andreas fault ….

how can I stop this happening ? I’m scared to use a baiting needle in the ‘good’ ones …

Slowly bait drill, pulling the drill out regularly to avoid swarf build up

19 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Ah yes, I should have replied earlier, but was miles away at my Dad's.

How big are the holes through the middle?

A normal loop knot on the hair is usually tight on my wooden balls. (Oh er!)

I often tie on a meshed pop up to the hair loop end, it holds the ball in place.

If bigger, a piece of braid pulled through, knot the two ends together tightly leaving extra as a tag end and you can attach it to the hair loop, or even rig ring on the shank.

Slowly bait drill, pulling the drill out regularly to avoid swarf build up

They’re all cracking up now Nick . 
What did I do wrong ? 

Maybe I let the paste dry out a bit too long before I rolled em ? 
The B5 paste , at the time , was definitely a bit drier than the Snail in texture to begin with .

You lot have considerably more knowledge than me on this sort of stuff so any suggestions as I’m supposed to be out next weekend and with a busy work week ahead again time is against me a bit .

9 minutes ago, newmarket said:

What did I do wrong ? 

The B5 paste , at the time , was definitely a bit drier than the Snail in texture to begin with .

You lot have considerably more knowledge than me on this sort of stuff so any suggestions as I’m supposed to be out next weekend and with a busy work week ahead again time is against me a bit .

I think your first idea of a little oil might be the right one. I hate rolling bait in hot weather, having to keep the ball of paste in the fridge to keep it cool and rolling as quickly as I can.

Roll them when as 'wet' as possible.

Other than that I'm struggling for ideas.

18 minutes ago, newmarket said:

What did I do wrong ? 

I know from speaking to the owner of premier that he will and has to adjust mixes/wetness etc when rolling different sized baits and also different shaped (dumbbells). You may need a few trial and error mixes before you get it right. I'm guessing you might need a wetter mix. For instance,  if it's say 1egg per 100grms then use 80grms and see how that rolls or You might need to add extra binder to hold it together for the bigger bait (wpc or egg albumin). 

Nope , rest of the paste I rolled last night , come home from work and they’ve each got their own massive San Andreas fault running round em …at least the others lasted 3 days before rendering themselves useless . 
I’ve halved and reversed 2 half boilies on the hair before so looks like I’ll have to try it again this weekend . 
Asking for trouble though , those pasties get half a Boilie in their gob and I’m not going to connect with a fish all weekend am I ? ☹️

oh well .

I’ve been thinking about this bait splitting issue while rolling my own baits this morning, as a thought, have you tried rolling the paste around an existing “normal” sized bottom bait boilie to make them the size you want then boil them for 20-30secs (might need to play with this a bit) to just skin the paste? I’ve just made a batch of boilies, I made the mix too dry and it was a [censored] to roll! The addition of robin red and the use of fos-oil (as opposed to my usual salmon oil) seems to have made the mix greasier which doesn’t help! The fos-oil is a new addition, so I’ll switch back to salmon oil next time as I don’t get these issues. 

• 1 month later...

Morning everybody , sorry I’ve not had time to update this thread , had lots on .

I actually fished the weekend after my last post above , since when I’ve spent a couple of weeks in Egypt doing naff all except a bit of scuba dooba diving which I thoroughly enjoyed even if it played (and still is) playing havoc with my ears .

I was hoping to get a spot of fishing in but it would appear that since the last visit (pre-Black Death) the Egyptians now frown upon fishing and just about every species in the Red Sea is now a protected species. That don’t understand the concept of catch and release so that didn’t happen unfortunately.

Anyway I digress . Yes , weekend of 29th of July I hit my syndicate lake again , the challenge , if you recall , being to avoid constant tiddlers with huge 40mm+ hookbaits … you know the ones that kept cracking 🙄.

Due to the hot weather the water levels were amazingly low . It’s not a deep lake anyway but certain parts , in particular a couple of the swims I had my eye on , were alarmingly shallow . I’m talking 18 inches deep shallow …not the type of depth I could imagine a 20lb+ Carp to be lying up in. 

Anyway with the whole lake to choose from I decided on the same swim as my previous visit a month before . They say familiarity breeds contempt , I say I breeds laziness lol.

I had a very good weekend . I broke the habit of a lifetime and actually weighed most of the 20 or so fish I banked …just to compare with my previous session ….lightest this time 12lb . 
The stamp of fish as a whole being bigger this time around . All my hookbaits were 40mm+ B5 and Black snail . The boilies that were cracking stayed intact mostly and those that had split in half stayed on the hair beautifully to get the job done . As most of the fish I caught were obviously having difficulty getting them in their oversized gobs.

The most frustrating thing was having to sit on my hands when the transmitter was going into overdrive . They were moving the baits resulting in 3/4/5 second blasts and obviously then dropping them . Being patient and waiting for fully fledged runs was the name of the game .

This was the largest of the session , a tad over 18lb .

2F9F6B4F-D095-4FC2-9580-176A6BC0C1EC.thumb.jpeg.0a33c1f8874a5feba600caa1de5f8c3a.jpeg