Rods Pods and Day Tickets…

newmarket

6 minutes ago, crusian said:

I'm so glad you're back posting , Newmarket , there's only so many posts from Highy and Elmo I can take ! .

Fortunately only Nick knows what I look like .

😁

Nick knows what everybody looks like  😊

Actually do you remember Cyborx ?

well one of the bailiffs at my new place is a dead ringer for him .

No sign of the CarpMachine yet though 🤣

Edited by newmarket
Why not 😊

4 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Nick knows what everybody looks like  😊

Actually do you remember Cyborx ?

well one of the bailiffs at my new place is a dead ringer for him .

No sign of the CarpMachine yet though 🤣

Yes I remember Cyborx .

Good grief , just imagine if the 3 of you ended up fishing together on the same syndicate ! .

😱

1 hour ago, crusian said:

Yes I remember Cyborx .

Good grief , just imagine if the 3 of you ended up fishing together on the same syndicate ! .

😱

Haha the Cyborx could’ve hacked it but Steve don’t do camping lol

On 04/06/2022 at 10:57, newmarket said:

A few silly rules admittedly such as having to use their nets and cradles and a Barbless only rule but apart from that the rules are mostly sensible with the fish being their top priority so mustn’t grumble

I must admit I do like Fisheries that provide cradles and nets it (usually) shows they are protective and serious about their stocks.

With barbless, I don't actually mind using them, although I have found a proper line aligner with a  slight curve on it helps reduce movement and prevent mouth damage. It also reduces or prevents hookpulls.

On 05/06/2022 at 15:48, newmarket said:

Swim choice won’t be a problem by the looks of things and for the first time in my Carp fishing life it looks like I’m going to be able to actually walk the lake and pick a location accordingly .

Its going to be a completely different ball game learning a new water , it’s really quite exciting in a way .

Trying to find and target the large-r fish and trying to avoid the pasties .

What's the betting you walk the lake and end up in the tightest rat peg swim available?🤣

Learning a new lake has to be one of my favourite parts, so right now I'm just winging it... 😉😅

I must admit I can struggle sometimes, its like the water wants to hold its secrets, which makes me more determined.

As for avoiding the littl'uns, is a boilie only approach viable?

Sounds like you have found a good one.

56 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I must admit I do like Fisheries that provide cradles and nets it (usually) shows they are protective and serious about their stocks.

With barbless, I don't actually mind using them, although I have found a proper line aligner with a  slight curve on it helps reduce movement and prevent mouth damage. It also reduces or prevents hookpulls.

What's the betting you walk the lake and end up in the tightest rat peg swim available?🤣

Learning a new lake has to be one of my favourite parts, so right now I'm just winging it... 😉😅

I must admit I can struggle sometimes, its like the water wants to hold its secrets, which makes me more determined.

As for avoiding the littl'uns, is a boilie only approach viable?

Sounds like you have found a good one.

Yes mate Boilie only to my mind though I’m not sure it’ll help with the stamp of fish  to be honest .

There aren’t many Bream in there at all by all accounts but plenty of Rudd & Roach which has never bothered me as just about every day ticket lake has them anyway and they are easily bypassed.

Having said that I had a 2lb+ roach help himself down on the Stour a few years ago now 🤣

No I’m more concerned with the tiny Carp and Tench . 
By all accounts they’ve tried getting rid of them but no dealers are interested. The most common suggestion has been to net it and bury em in a hole in the next field !

That hasn’t been entertained of course but that has been the attitude of the dealers and fish farms so I’m told . So I’m going to have fight my way through em by the looks of things .

Not that I mind a bit of action per se , after all it’s not camping but I do like to get my head down at some point knowing that , well if the receivers goes off then it might be something decent .

Ive been thinking the huge hookbait approach but that’s no guarantee is it ? He says remembering the double figure Bream on a 28mm meshed XXX Boilie on the North a few years ago 🙄.

Cant seem to find any nowadays looking about … do you think it’s worth emailing Mr Wilmott to see if they can knock some up special at short notice ?

On 08/06/2022 at 09:53, newmarket said:

Ive been thinking the huge hookbait approach but that’s no guarantee is it ? He says remembering the double figure Bream on a 28mm meshed XXX Boilie on the North a few years ago 🙄.

Cant seem to find any nowadays looking about … do you think it’s worth emailing Mr Wilmott to see if they can knock some up special at short notice ?

Are double 18 or 20mm hookbaits a possibility?

I was using doubles quite frequently on the South and Central.

Another alternative is the soaked wooden ball approach. Drill your hole through the centre then leave them in a pot of liquid food and a couple of millilitres of flavour.

A mix of Infusion or KMG liquid, peanut oil and a liquid yeast.

(https://www.feedstim.com/liquids-oils/liquid-enzyme-treated-yeast-pro-biotic-49.html)

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Are double 18 or 20mm hookbaits a possibility?

I was using doubles quite frequently on the South and Central.

Another alternative is the soaked wooden ball approach. Drill your hole through the centre then leave them in a pot of liquid food and a couple of millilitres of flavour.

A mix of Infusion or KMG liquid, peanut oil and a liquid yeast.

(https://www.feedstim.com/liquids-oils/liquid-enzyme-treated-yeast-pro-biotic-49.html)

All good info Nick , cheers . 

20 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

Greedy pig rig………. And wrap em in paste or……….. get stalking 😉

Weather forecast is for sun & heat so I’ll probably be doing a bit of stalking and floater fishing by the looks of things , especially if it’s quiet .

In the mean time I’ve ordered some 24mm hookbaits though I fear they may not be big enough . 
still , first time will be a learning curve .

My run of bad luck continues…

The Chum mixers I ordered online arrived today, next day delivery, very impressed.

They are TINY and I mean the size of 3mm pellets …

Thatll teach me to read the advert description properly 🙁

On 14/06/2022 at 15:13, newmarket said:

The Chum mixers I ordered online arrived today, next day delivery, very impressed.

Dampen them, leave for 5mins,  squeeze into balls and fire out. The balls will break down leaving a nice smell trail, and get the carp hopefully munching everything on top

On 14/06/2022 at 15:13, newmarket said:

You could use them as feed in the right conditions , Newmarket ; I remember having a big patch of tiny pellets drifting towards me on the bank , and the Carp were happily hoovering them down .

It's just how do you get them on the hook , super glue ? , or just have a " proper size " Chum on your hook in the middle of a patch of teeny weenies ? .

😃

On 17/06/2022 at 08:28, crusian said:

You could use them as feed in the right conditions , Newmarket ; I remember having a big patch of tiny pellets drifting towards me on the bank , and the Carp were happily hoovering them down .

It's just how do you get them on the hook , super glue ? , or just have a " proper size " Chum on your hook in the middle of a patch of teeny weenies ? .

😃

Pinch a pair of tights,  put a few in there to normal size, cut that section free, tie and heat seal, then tie to hook.

Welcome back to more pointless waffle ie a detailed account of my session weekend just gone on my new water , hope it doesn’t bore the pants off you all 😊

I was a lot more organised this time out , all packed and ready to go for when my chauffeur (the Mrs) got home from work.

Where we live , tucked away down an alleyway , can be an advantage . No junk mail received or trick or treaters at Halloween cos nobody knows we are here .

unfortunatley neither do parcel couriers but that’s another thread 😡. The biggest disadvantage of all though is having a 50-100 metre walk to the car .

So the plan is to load up my recently acquired , as yet unused , barrow to get my gear to the car .

Well anyway there’s obviously a knack to it as the damned thing kept toppling to the left as I lifted it …. 3 times , despite loading it in various different ways .

Therefore I’m sure there’s a method ? 
Anyway on with the waffle 😉.

The lakes like Fort Knox , 2 keyed gates and 2 Combi locks to get not only onto the lake itself but into the actual road/dirt track that leads to it .

Good for security obviously though I’d imagine not so good for access after a few  Autumn days of heavy rain … we’ll see .

Arriving at about 6.30pm I was delighted to discover NO other anglers at all so after a leisurely walk round TWICE I chose a swim and set up . 
Im going to be posting up a few pics at the end here lads , none in any particular order , mostly of the lake itself . Nick I’m sure you can tidy most of those up for me at some point as I know I can only post a couple at a time .

I set up in a swim that not only had plenty of room ( I like to be comfortable if poss) but had plenty of features to fish to , a couple of Islands one large one very small , reeds and lots of pads . There was also plenty of fishy activity but no more than the rest of the lake . It was just beginning to cool down after a scorcher so things looked promising for the evening and nights to follow.

As usual I set my rods up first , something I do to maximise my actual fishing time , and something on this occasion I was to live to regret . 
Using just the two rods initially , if it proved more difficult I could always add a 3rd option later , I tested the water .

A couple of Combi rigs , 16mm Black Snail  with a pva stocking containing more of the same , barbless hooks as is the rules unfortunately.

Action pretty much from the word go . Nothing big , I was warned about the little commons , and so it proved .

At first I was just getting the odd beep then 3 or 4 second shrills from my Fox’s and was always lifting into nothing .

I was reeling in rigs with half eaten boilies still attached .

By now one more fella had arrived , having asked if I minded if he fished 2 swims along from me despite the lake being empty … I didn’t mind as he’d had the courtesy to ask and it wouldn’t have disturbed me anyway . Turns out he knew a lot of the same group of Canning Townies that I grew up with so we shared a few natters and cuppas over the next two days.

He suggested that especially whilst using running rigs to sit on my hands until the rod pretty much comes off the bank stick . He said when they go they GO . So I took his advice and waited till these short alarm bursts turned into fully blown screamers and I connected with the very first one . 
And it set the tone ( pardon the pun) for the whole weekend really . Little common (5-8lb at a guess) after little common with the odd low double thrown in , quite often both rods off at the same time . 
To be honest after a while I didn’t even bother with the pva attachments , I don’t think they were assisting. I’d switched to 24mm hookbaits a little earlier to try to hopefully single out the bigger fish but these little carp didn’t care they just jumped on them .

Any freebies I felt would just be a waste of bait , I didn’t need em neither did the Carp.

I was so busy it must have been almost dark before I’d managed to get my brolly up , next time it’s the first thing getting done , going against everything I’ve ever done before . And totally dark by the time I’d had a brew up . Unheard of 😂

Action was steady after dark then got busier and busier. At 3am I thought enoughs enough and pulled my rods in . I’d got up at 03.45 the previous morning for work and I was knackered , time to get my head down for a couple of hours .

And a couple of hours it was . Awake just after 5 I went for a mooch about and saw a few interesting things . Can I post videos on here Nick , as I have a couple of Carpy activity I took first thing that morning ?

Anyway I got both my rods out again , a bit slower that morning , still quite warm and bright though nothing like the previous day .

A few more fish arrived , again nothing big , though I have to say some of them , most of them in fact gave a very good account of themselves and a few of said Carp never gave their size away till right before the net , fighting strongly and staying deep in the water as long as they could . I very rarely knew what I’d hooked until the death .

It went quiet mid morning as the sun got higher in the sky and I dabbled with a few surface baits for a couple of hours . I got them feeding competitively quite quickly but they knew which one had my bait in every single time , from the Bakers complete to the fake doggie biscuits , they just knew . Floater presentation is definitely something I need to work on.

So I needed a slightly different approach to bottom fishing . This time a spread of B5 and Black snail boilies over the general area of both spots and rested the swim for about 90 minutes during which time I managed to cook both late late breakfast and lunch and chatted Carp fishing and West Ham Utd with my good friend of about ten , er , hours 🤣.

This tactic appeared to work as things got hectic again despite the weather deteriorating . So hectic in fact that I never noticed that big storm closing in and just as it got dark … BANG !!!! Thunder Lightening very very frightening !

I doubt I’ve ever moved so fast . Rods in  , dived into my Cabrio and there I stayed . I dunno how long the storm lasted as I must have been exhausted and fell asleep . This time inside my sleeping bag which hadn’t even been unpacked it being so warm the night before. 
The following morning went the same way as previously though after breakfast I even went down to fishing just the one rod . I knew Tracey was coming to pick me up at about 2.30 and needed the time to get packed away for when she arrived .

I was happy with my first attempt on my new venue . I know I’ll eventually get the hump with the smaller Carp and will have to find a way of finding out where the upper 20’s and 30’s hang out . My first thought was finding the deeper parts of the lake . The owner has told me that’s it’s pretty uniform 3-4ft deep all over but I’ll be finding out for myself for sure . If it really is that shallow everywhere then it makes it even more of a challenge. In a way , I think , just as much a challenge as fishing a lake with far fewer yet bigger Carp ?

These bigger fish are in there , I’ve seen the stocking photos of a couple of 30’s , but to me it’ll just be a natural progression . Size has never been important to me ( just ask my Mrs) , I’m equally happy catching fish of any description all day long or just sitting by the lake waiting for a bite for hours on end . It’s not just about the fishing is it ? It’s just as much to do with the peace and tranquility of a little lake that few people even know exists .

No more day ticket circus for me . Hallelujah ! 🤣

there will be a couple of cradle pics added later to give you all an idea of the stamp of fish I was catching ( I lost count after about 30 or so) and one of a fish not all that big but pretty enough to warrant a pic I thought .