Rods Pods and Day Tickets…

newmarket

Well I’d been away from the scene for about 6 years and you’ll tell from some of my posts since I came back to the forum exactly how excited I was to get back in the game .

Ive invested quite a few quid upgrading certain stuff and replacing other stuff that has gone walkies over the years , more stuff in fact than I’d realised .

I had gear in the loft , some in the shed and plenty in the spare room and no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t keep the stuff I was taking down to a bare minimum…and it wasn’t really organised at all ..all mixed up , the old & new and a bit chaotic .

My plan was to spend the week before organising things so that when I got in from work on Friday afternoon I could throw my gear into the wife’s motor and off for the weekend. Things didn’t exactly go to plan….

Unfortunately work has been pretty demanding recently , particularly the few days leading up to my fishing , and I was having to work 12 hr shifts , getting home at 6.30pm eating , washing up , getting done family stuff that has to be done and getting into bed by 9 for a 0345 alarm which , quite frankly, meant that my fishing gear remained exactly where it was .

Now on the Friday I’d managed to wangle an early finish (2pm) and I was going to get all my gear together and be off to the lake for tea time and giving myself plenty of time to get set up for the night but one thing led to another and by the time I arrived at the lake and I’d had a walk round it was virtually 8pm . I’d had to plonk myself in the only swim left available by the time I’d arrived , it was the tightest swim I’d ever found myself in in 50 years of fishing , I had a new (to me) RH Cabrio brolly that I’d never set up before (restrictions on space at home) and it would be dark within the hour . What was I to do ?

I rang Nick 🤣 who I knew had the same brolly.

He kindly talked me through it and I managed to get the shelter up and my 3 rods set up before it got dark and then my problems started to pile up .

My swim was not only as tight as a gnats bottom but the ground was a kind of broken tarmac/gravelly type of surface and single banksticks , my preferred option were just not happening so I had to use my pod . I detest using it for reasons that will be revealed shortly .

The battery in one of my alarms was as dead as a dodo and as I reefed around in the dark looking for my spare batteries I discovered I’d got the wrong ones . I needed LR1’s and I’d mistakenly brought some G11a’s . I was exhausted already and wasn’t watching the rod all night so I decided to just use the 2 rods and review the situation at first light .

I made up a couple of small pva sticks , a mixture of B5/Black snail stick mix , attached them to a couple of basic knotless knotted rigs , Black snail bottom bait on one and a RH snail wafter on the other with just a couple of handfuls of Black snail and B5 16 millers loosely around them . Fishing room was tight as it was , I wasn’t going to start leading around in the dark with so many other Anglers in close proximity , the corner of the lake I was stuck in had another Angler on the opposite bank approx 80 yards directly in front so the margins it would be at least till the morrow. I also baited up a third line under a willow tree close by in preparation for the morning when a 3rd rod may go out.

All was quiet through the night but I awoke at 4.30 am to see a few fish showing in my albeit lightly baited area where my Snail wafter wafted . I decided to leave that area alone for obvious reasons , baited up my other spot and launched my now available 3rd rod onto the margin area that I’d baited up a few hours earlier . It was very hot during the day , nothing showing even in the upper layers and even if they were a ridiculous no floaters no zigs ruling was in operation and tbh I was a bit stuck for what to try . I had been cleaned out by tufties on the 2 baited areas , I’d noticed a succession of Coots etc diving and helping themselves to my Black Snail boilies … so much for Black boilies making themselves difficult for the bird life to find 🙄.

As the sun went down and the temperature cooled a tad I considered pulling in my other rod , the one with the single snail wafter hookbait . Before I could pick the rod up the fox alarm squealed and I was into a fish, a fish which appeared to give me a proper battle , admittedly I was a bit out of practice, 6 years and all that , and indeed it turned into a battle . I landed it ok but not before it had wiped out both my other rods and the Pod in the process . Then it hit me .

Id been rushing around so much prior to the session that I’d completely forgotten to make any sort of Photo provisions . Good job it wasn’t a personal biggest fish or anything .

So I just unhooked it in the net , took a quick pic with my phone and returned it to the water .

I now had the job of resetting up for the night the two rods I would have out during the night , no easy task in the dark for an old shortsighted arthritic codger with the ‘ump 😄.

As I say it was dark so after untangling the rods and pod … did I mention I hate rod pods ?…I baited up both rods with a Hutchy Naturalz snail wafter and fired out about half a kilo of Black Snail and B5 freebies over each .

An hour later the same rod as before kicked off , this time it felt to be a bigger fish , plodding around in the margins until it saw my landing net , the sight of which made it shoot off into the middle of the lake . Then everything went solid . I thought the fish may have found some sanctuary in a weed bed I was unaware of but then I remembered .

Where this area of the lake is very narrow ,  there’s a wooden sign bang in the middle reminding the local numpties not to cast beyond this point etc . Anyway , this fish had swam around this post/sign and obviously spat the barbless hook (another silly rule imo) at which point I had to pull for a break 😡

SO , after tackling up AGAIN and casting out I decided I’d better get my head down as I couldn’t see the swim producing again after all the commotion but within the hour (2am by now) the same rod was off again .

It WAS a bigger fish this time , I never weighed it as I was too busy picking my other rod and the pod out of the water 😡as this one had again caused carnage . It wouldn’t have been fair to the fish to retain it anyway though it was well over 20lb in my guesstimation.

I released it straight away , threw my tangled rods down in self disgust and went to bed . The following daybreak I tackled all 3 rods up again and continued fishing . I wasn’t happy with the drop on one of my rods so I retrieved it , feeling resistance whilst I was doing it . 
I reeled in a length of leadcore with a “ safety” clip which appeared to be glued together . Indeed I was unable to separate the components . I enclose a photo of it below and handed it to the bailiff later on . Idiots eh ? 
Anyway it peed down with rain for the rest of the day . My Mrs came to pick me up mid afternoon and it took me an hour and a quarter to get all my gear back the 300 yards to the car . Why you ask ? Because my Fox explorer deluxe barrow that I’d received a few days previously was still sat in its box at home where I’d not had time to put it together 🙄.

so all in all , it was good to finally get some alone time back on the bank , I have to call it a success as such due to the nice 2 fish I did manage to catch but an absolute disaster in other ways .

Things I learnt ? I need to be a lot more organised. Take a look at the mess in the pics lol , I can’t be rushing around like that again … mistakes get made , important items get forgotten and it makes it all hard work when it’s supposed to be fun.

I need to find somewhere quieter to fish , somewhere a bit more exclusive . I’m only able to fish at weekends and I need to find somewhere quieter to fish somewhere I may get a choice of location instead of being forced to fish where I can . 

I learnt that my new CTX rods are a dream to use compared to my Berkley’s and I thought THEY were lovely .

Im impressed with my RH Cabrio brolly system , SO much room I really am pleasantly surprised . I never saw fit to use the wrap , there wasn’t enough room to get it out of the bag let alone fit it but once I finally get the brolly extension I’ll be living the life on the bank 🤣

I learned that carp like RH Naturalz wafters and I learned that very slack lines , light running leads and simple rigs still work and I must have been doing something right as not a lot else was caught from what I could tell . 

If you’ve got this far , thanks for reading , hope it’s not been a waste of your time so thanks for humouring me . It really felt like I was a beginner all over again at times but I’m sure it’ll be better next time if I’m better organised . Need somewhere better to fish 🙄72036B52-5DDB-4A7E-A171-F158FAA96177.thumb.jpeg.2473b05f84224ff9eda8e5d71c4e089e.jpeg5289FC33-0EB6-4059-A668-287C149A6ED4.thumb.jpeg.24b076aef0b777b5bed6a87d4f0fa440.jpeg

I merged your later posts into one, I know with pics it only allows a certain size.

Blooming heck, when you phoned you said it was a tight swim. Never figured on not being able to get round both sides of the brolly.

Glad you like it.

Result on the bait, and fish, and getting that 'thing' back in. It looks awful! At least one fish is saved. 

Sounds silly, but a tent peg over the base of the pod to hold it down might help, or a screw and guy rope.

Something else, every bivvy door, roll it up around a bankstick when you want to strap it open

Hope your next session is a bit more smooth.

Well that certainly sounded like an adventure. I've recently started back out again after a couple of years break. Unfortunately for me, covid was bussier than ever.

Do you have any club lakes near you that might have a better angler to swim ratio?

I had a similar situation to you with my only catch so far (I only really do days), so had to make do with an unhooking matt pic.

Anyway at least you learnt things an will hopefully be able to get things sorted for next time. There will be a next time, won't there? :grin:

23 hours ago, newmarket said:

B84F9F9D-7FF9-4BC1-A088-7C34FEC66532.thumb.jpeg.6f7c0131f855df65a93241b9cca76a13.jpeg

8EAE5376-B884-4DA3-82A8-3946DB333EEA.thumb.jpeg.e3a724958fd980857d0edcc5c697a7d1.jpeg

61359AED-215B-4385-B129-854611DC6E22.thumb.jpeg.a9fb54a7ae6d7fb1e4141da13d268619.jpeg

8BCD1EE4-2574-4C2D-B5E1-EF8313A815A4.thumb.jpeg.6c602bb4d62a19727a16565e87ddafa1.jpeg

For next time 🤣A97C032A-6446-484D-9BD1-8B86D33F687F.thumb.jpeg.765188d0b372e30526927152028472bd.jpeg

Hi Newmarket

I've got the Fox Explorer Barrow , not the Deluxe version that you have .

I bought some Explorer Deluxe handles for my Barrow , but I found they flexed , and I needed to retighten the screws ; so in the end I went back to my original handles .

😃 

12 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hi Newmarket

I've got the Fox Explorer Barrow , not the Deluxe version that you have .

I bought some Explorer Deluxe handles for my Barrow , but I found they flexed , and I needed to retighten the screws ; so in the end I went back to my original handles .

😃

From what I can tell mate , the only thing different between the two is the handles and they ain’t too sturdy are they ? 
I was having a little play this afternoon and tbh it’s opened up a whole can of worms . 

The extra Voyager/Camolite bags available as extras could well make redundant the hold-all/rucksacks I already have …

decisions decisions ….

On 21/05/2022 at 21:56, newmarket said:

I’d had to plonk myself in the only swim left available by the time I’d arrived

Well you certainly made the most of it buddy!

I love a nice long catch report and really enjoyed reading this. It sounds like the sesh had its ups and downs but ultimately you made your time on the bank count. Well done.

23 hours ago, InteraX said:

Well that certainly sounded like an adventure. I've recently started back out again after a couple of years break. Unfortunately for me, covid was bussier than ever.

Do you have any club lakes near you that might have a better angler to swim ratio?

I had a similar situation to you with my only catch so far (I only really do days), so had to make do with an unhooking matt pic.

Anyway at least you learnt things an will hopefully be able to get things sorted for next time. There will be a next time, won't there? :grin:

Yes of course but I do need to get myself more organised. 
As for clubs , yes there’s Billericay DAC which has loads of lakes and river stretches but very few that permit night fishing and with work commitments and transport issues day sessions are not much good to me tbh , it’ll be weekends which unfortunately is mostly the problem.

Ive got myself on the waiting list for a local club/syndicate which has a 4 year waiting list and I’ve emailed several membership only lakes in Thurrock enquiring but as yet haven’t had any sort of reply .

Im thinking of going further afield (Chelmsford way) but don’t want to go all that way on a Friday pm and find its chocka block like last weekend .

it’s a dilemma.

5 hours ago, yonny said:

Well you certainly made the most of it buddy!

I love a nice long catch report and really enjoyed reading this. It sounds like the sesh had its ups and downs but ultimately you made your time on the bank count. Well done.

Thank you mate , I think after a while we go onto autopilot and our experience kicks in so we just get on with it .

On 22/05/2022 at 21:45, newmarket said:

From what I can tell mate , the only thing different between the two is the handles and they ain’t too sturdy are they ? 
I was having a little play this afternoon and tbh it’s opened up a whole can of worms . 

The extra Voyager/Camolite bags available as extras could well make redundant the hold-all/rucksacks I already have …

decisions decisions ….

Hi Newmarket

I personally would buy the original handles CTR012-12 and CTR012-03 , and probably the Camolite Barrow Bag CLU285 .

😃

On 23/05/2022 at 14:13, newmarket said:

Thank you mate , I think after a while we go onto autopilot and our experience kicks in so we just get on with it .

On 22/05/2022 at 21:45, newmarket said:

decisions decisions ….

I have the Fox Explorer Rucksack Barrow Bag Medium CLU441 , and I find it robust , but it's heavy and I keep thinking should I have gone for the Camolite Barrow Bag CLU285 ? .

🤔

A few weeks ago I made a few enquiries to some local syndicate lakes , thinking you’ve got to be in it to win it .

Silence … not a sausage . Then out of the blue got an email and a phone call .

Im meeting the fella early tomorrow morning and he’s taking me for a walk round the lake & facilities .

🤞🏻for me fellas , I gotta get out of this day ticket circus .

5 hours ago, newmarket said:

A few weeks ago I made a few enquiries to some local syndicate lakes , thinking you’ve got to be in it to win it .

Silence … not a sausage . Then out of the blue got an email and a phone call .

Im meeting the fella early tomorrow morning and he’s taking me for a walk round the lake & facilities .

🤞🏻for me fellas , I gotta get out of this day ticket circus .

Maybe the fella is into his football as well as you , Newmarket , a West Ham supporter ? - then you've got it ! .

🤞

5 hours ago, crusian said:

Maybe the fella is into his football as well as you , Newmarket , a West Ham supporter ? - then you've got it ! .

🤞

Well I’m not counting me Chickens … unless it’s the one that sits on a football .

That wouldn’t please me at all 🤣

Anybody got any tips as I’m sure I’ll be out  on my ear if he meets the real me ?

13 hours ago, newmarket said:

Well I’m not counting me Chickens … unless it’s the one that sits on a football .

Anybody got any tips as I’m sure I’ll be out  on my ear if he meets the real me ?

Surely you mean the proud Cockerel , Newmarket ? .

What about borrowing Yonny's 'photo album of all the whackers he has caught , and passing yourself off as a real player ? .

😁 

14 hours ago, newmarket said:

Just be honest, I don't think they expect everyone to be Darrell peck, play to your strengths, say things like you don't mind helping out doing some work,always keep tidy, hate litter, keep yourself to yourself and that that you are easy to get on with, don't mention you support West ham though he would would lol you off the place 😂

Well I’m in 😄

just got to get the cash and a couple of passport type photos by tomorrow morning and I’m sorted 🙄.

Dunno why but I thought I’d be able to pay by bank transfer…. Still I’m going to have to get my butt over there first thing tomorrow as I’m working afterwards and can’t chance them holding the offer open to next weekend, I wouldn’t .

Anyway it’s right up my street , 4 acres , next to no weed but plenty of features and very rarely more than 5 anglers on at any one time . Even less doing overnighters .

known Carp to over 30 and 4 more between 25-29 stocked last year that haven’t been out yet .

A few silly rules admittedly such as having to use their nets and cradles and a Barbless only rule but apart from that the rules are mostly sensible with the fish being their top priority so mustn’t grumble 

strictly no u18’s even supervised so that won’t please my young un which is sad but you can drive literally up to the banks which is quality . 
There is a freezer full of bait over there at £7 a kilo if I was that way inclined but I won’t be as I have an irrational hatred of the company. I won’t mention the name as the owner of said bait company is a member though I believe he is unwell at the moment .

All in all I can’t wait to get cracking and planning a 48hr sesh in two weekends time 

Happy days .

1 hour ago, newmarket said:

Well I’m in 😄

just got to get the cash and a couple of passport type photos by tomorrow morning and I’m sorted 🙄.

Dunno why but I thought I’d be able to pay by bank transfer…. Still I’m going to have to get my butt over there first thing tomorrow as I’m working afterwards and can’t chance them holding the offer open to next weekend, I wouldn’t .

Anyway it’s right up my street , 4 acres , next to no weed but plenty of features and very rarely more than 5 anglers on at any one time . Even less doing overnighters .

known Carp to over 30 and 4 more between 25-29 stocked last year that haven’t been out yet .

A few silly rules admittedly such as having to use their nets and cradles and a Barbless only rule but apart from that the rules are mostly sensible with the fish being their top priority so mustn’t grumble 

strictly no u18’s even supervised so that won’t please my young un which is sad but you can drive literally up to the banks which is quality . 
There is a freezer full of bait over there at £7 a kilo if I was that way inclined but I won’t be as I have an irrational hatred of the company. I won’t mention the name as the owner of said bait company is a member though I believe he is unwell at the moment .

All in all I can’t wait to get cracking and planning a 48hr sesh in two weekends time 

Happy days .

Well done Newmarket .

My lake takes bank transfers , so I see why you would think your new syndicate would also .

So here's to your ugly mug holding some big Carp ! .

😁

Ok so I’ve got just under a fortnight to work out a strategy of sorts .

Swim choice won’t be a problem by the looks of things and for the first time in my Carp fishing life it looks like I’m going to be able to actually walk the lake and pick a location accordingly .

Its going to be a completely different ball game learning a new water , it’s really quite exciting in a way .

Trying to find and target the large-r fish and trying to avoid the pasties .

Of which apparently there are a LOT.

Swim choice won’t be a problem by the looks of things and for the first time in my Carp fishing life it looks like I’m going to be able to actually walk the lake and pick a location accordingly .

Its going to be a completely different ball game learning a new water , it’s really quite exciting in a way .

I'm so glad you're back posting , Newmarket , there's only so many posts from Highy and Elmo I can take ! .

Fortunately only Nick knows what I look like .

😁

I'm excited for you , Newmarket , go get them whackers .

😃