Is spodding two spots With different mixes at the same time a good way to tell which is best?

Tk99

18 minutes ago, Tk99 said:

I plan on fishing two separate spots on the same peg with different spod mixes to see what catches more fish. Anyone had any experience with this? Would it mess up my swim? 

Personally I can’t see the point . Whether it’s put out there by hand or catapult or Spod , A hungry Carp will eat pretty much anything and plenty of it .

I think Hookbait and location are far more important , but that’s just me .

I fish one swim pretty regularly and one spot is a banker and the other is just an occasional spot tbh, 

Personally I think you may just find one spot is better or gets more visits from Mr carp, 

Plus I also think it doesn't help you to establish a mix of your own that will work and give you confidence 

If one part of the swim produces more than the other, it's not particularly the spod mix that's made the difference. You could end up confusing yourself as much as the fish! I fish one swim quite regularly with a set of overhanging trees to the left and right but a good 10 yards apart and some days one produces and not the other and vice versa.

I don't think that what goes into the spod mix is all that important but use a mixture of hempseed, foreign finch mix and pigeon conditioner which gives you plenty of different sizes. Hemp is pretty expensive these days so the others bulk it out. Add a bag of frozen sweetcorn (not a tin as I'm doing my bit for the environment!) and it's ready to go. If want to use trout pellets, add them to the spod or spomb before casting or else they will mush up.

You won’t prove anything doing this as you’ll never be able to say whether it was the spot or the mix that made the difference. One spot may be silt and the other gravel or clay or sand..

fish each spot effectively as you can. Bait up suitably for the spot and use a suitable rig. 

12 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

Add a bag of frozen sweetcorn (not a tin as I'm doing my bit for the environment!)

The tin is more environmentally friendly, metal can be permanently recycled, plastic can't, and often has to be disposed of in landfill or incinerated 😉

6 hours ago, Tk99 said:

I plan on fishing two separate spots on the same peg with different spod mixes to see what catches more fish. Anyone had any experience with this? Would it mess up my swim? 

I think you won't learn anything, for so many reasons.

On a hungry (overstocked) water, the fish are or may be reliant on anglers bait, so will eat anything and everything. 

Certain parts of a spod mix can be attractive, pellets, hemp, sweetcorn, Vitalin, etc, but you are relying on the spod mix to attract fish, as a whole.

You might be better trying them different sessions!

Some swims may have preferred feeding spots, if your 'not so-attractive' mix is on the feeding spot you can still catch. Your super attractive mix can be a blank, because it is not in the right place.

I have fished lakes with different groundbaits, Vitalin, Vitalin with added particles, Vitalin with a mix of mushed and fresh pellets, and particles.

All worked!

The right spot is far more important than bait.

I would probably start with, does spodding usually work on your water? On my waters, spodding can be the kiss of death yet many still come out and spod religiously, despite it rarely working. They chose the method before they even left home, not taking into account the prevailing conditions, etc. fishing the correct method on the day would be my advice, spodding and splitting swims can be both confusing and counter productive. Then again, it may work! You’ll won’t know unless you try, but don’t flog a dead horse mate. 

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The tin is more environmentally friendly, metal can be permanently recycled, plastic can't, and often has to be disposed of in landfill or incinerated 😉

The plastic packaging weighs next to nothing and doesn't require a lot of energy to produce it whereas the tin can requires being smelted in a furnace. That's my take anyway.

1 hour ago, Golden Paws said:

The plastic packaging weighs next to nothing and doesn't require a lot of energy to produce it whereas the tin can requires being smelted in a furnace. That's my take anyway.

Sadly it takes far more energy to produce the plastic packing than melt and recycle the steel of the can, approximately 10 times as much!

Steel (from recycled steel): 6-15MJ (1,665 to 4,170 watt-hours)

Plastics (from crude oil): 62-108MJ (17,200 to 31,950 watt-hours)

Also the plastics are produced from crude oil.

3 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I would probably start with, does spodding usually work on your water? On my waters, spodding can be the kiss of death yet many still come out and spod religiously, despite it rarely working. They chose the method before they even left home, not taking into account the prevailing conditions, etc. fishing the correct method on the day would be my advice, spodding and splitting swims can be both confusing and counter productive. Then again, it may work! You’ll won’t know unless you try, but don’t flog a dead horse mate. 

On my water spodding does sometimes produce, but rarely on the day the bait was introduced. It takes 3 days for the fish to move onto it, whereas a PVA bag can produce that night. Once the carp are on the bait you can get multiple takes, but it is hard work.

4 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

Add a bag of frozen sweetcorn (not a tin as I'm doing my bit for the environment!)

As an add to that, tinned sweetcorn is actually more attractive baitwise than frozen sweetcorn. Most tinned corn is with added sugar and salt, whereas frozen corn is just plain straight bagged no extras. 

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/what-is-the-embodied-energy-of-materials.html

Yes, found the figures. You are quoting steel made from recycled steel but to originally get to that stage it has to be extracted from the iron ore and that requires 20 - 50 MJ of energy per kilogram. The plastic packaging weighs only a fraction of that of a can so it compare weigh for weight, the plastic would be far less.

I take the point that it is far easier to recycle metals and most plastics do end up in landfill.

Canned can does contain more salt and sugar but I forgot to mention that I always give my spod mix a good dollop of salt whilst mixing in the corn.

1 hour ago, Golden Paws said:

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/what-is-the-embodied-energy-of-materials.html

Yes, found the figures. You are quoting steel made from recycled steel but to originally get to that stage it has to be extracted from the iron ore and that requires 20 - 50 MJ of energy per kilogram. The plastic packaging weighs only a fraction of that of a can so it compare weigh for weight, the plastic would be far less.

I take the point that it is far easier to recycle metals and most plastics do end up in landfill.

Canned can does contain more salt and sugar but I forgot to mention that I always give my spod mix a good dollop of salt whilst mixing in the corn.

Even using new iron ore takes only 30-60 MJ😉, which is still less than creating new plastic packaging. As you also mentioned plastic often ends up in landfill, or other environment, which David Attenborough has highlighted, so plastic is far less friendly.

pretty much all recycling is worthless most ends up in landfill the material is worthless as scrap in this country, it's just another form of mild fascism always has been, if it goes in the blue bin i will put it there even though i know it's just going to get sorted and dumped or burnt. most if not all the centers are funded by tax money and grants they would make zero profit as a stand alone business. 

then you you have the forced labor at the sorting centres... that really goes against everything i consider to be human rights, they don't even bother me with that stupidity, forced to work sorting other people's rubbish... yeah you just know i will be there bright and early with a spring in my step, quoting Karl Marx to the proletariat. 

just as an add, i have no problem with getting nasty jobs that others don't want, the worst being a toss up between full time night cleaner at the city rail station to cleaning phone boxes, caretaker at a homeless hostel. the last being a good jaob and a nice place to work, but i never signed up to be a cheap social worker/mental health nurse, then there was the petty crime very violent and off the scale. 

If I were to guess, trying two different spots wouldn't give you the correct data about which mix works best. This would be because carp could just generally prefer an area to a different area. My recommendation would be to come back the next day and try with a different mix and compare your catches from both days. 

12 hours ago, Gato_Amigo111 said:

If I were to guess, trying two different spots wouldn't give you the correct data about which mix works best. This would be because carp could just generally prefer an area to a different area. My recommendation would be to come back the next day and try with a different mix and compare your catches from both days. 

But then if you come back the next day, you will have prebaited the spot with the bait from the day previous, it's never going to be a fair test whatever you do unless you are fishing singles, and even then there will be variables, like conditions etc,

I think the question is aimed at finding the ultimate mix and let's be honest not sure that really exists, I know it doesn't really help but confidence in baits only comes from repetition and trial and error (application is more important as most baits will catch some ) , and if you keep changing you won't get to that point (been there a lot and still play) 

A better question may be what do you want your bait to achieve, after all there is no benefit of fishing an overnighter with rock hard air dryed boilies as they probably won't soften til home time. 

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I think the question is aimed at finding the ultimate mix and let's be honest not sure that really exists, I know it doesn't really help but confidence in baits only comes from repetition and trial and error (application is more important as most baits will catch some ) , and if you keep changing you won't get to that point (been there a lot and still play) 

I honestly don't think that there is an ultimate spod mix!

Small particles like hemp, pigeon conditioner, mixed bird food, chicken corn, even pellets and a groundbait like Vitalin will all attract fish to a point.

That point is whether the fish come in and feed while you are there.

It is a whole lot easier on 'hungry' waters, but even so.

I am happy to use pretty much any of the above knowing they will work. 

I fished Bromeswell a few years ago and would bait a margin spot heavily with particles, it rarely worked. You were far better fishing groundbait and feeder, a handful of sweetcorn over a float or a small PVA bag regularly cast. Yet on Nazeing Lagoons, Alton Water, even Ardleigh a spodded bed of bait would produce, although Ardleigh could be a headbanger at times as fish could take a few days to get onto it.

10 hours ago, elmoputney said:

But then if you come back the next day, you will have prebaited the spot with the bait from the day previous, it's never going to be a fair test whatever you do unless you are fishing singles, and even then there will be variables, like conditions etc,

A better question may be what do you want your bait to achieve, after all there is no benefit of fishing an overnighter with rock hard air dryed boilies as they probably won't soften til home time. 

Perhaps you're right... I would agree, as with many things, trial and error is generally the best choice.