Dual Marker and Spod set up

newmarket

I recently got myself one of those Sonik Vader Spod/Marker rods and I want to have it set up so that I can just unclip (for example) the marker lead and clip on a small Spod or Spomb if I want to .

how would you do this ? I obviously have Braid on the reel but also , should I have some sort of leader ? I wouldn’t be casting more than 50 or 60 yards under most circumstances…

14 hours ago, newmarket said:

I recently got myself one of those Sonik Vader Spod/Marker rods and I want to have it set up so that I can just unclip (for example) the marker lead and clip on a small Spod or Spomb if I want to .

how would you do this ? I obviously have Braid on the reel but also , should I have some sort of leader ? I wouldn’t be casting more than 50 or 60 yards under most circumstances…

I think I posted on the same question a few months ago, but it could be longer...

I have switched to the same rod for both, so occasionally even old dogs do learn something.

50lb Angry Fish braid, I have a run ring running on the shockleader, with my lead link attached to a Breakaway Spinlink Clip, at the end of the leader is an oval ring attached to a ball bearing swivel.  

When I'm leading or using the marker float, the marker goes on the oval ring, and lead on the spinlink.

When I spod or Spomb, I remove float and lead and clip the spinlink to the ball bearing swivel.

I'll try to put pics up, but signal in the swim I'm in is awful.

Just to get any Internet access to check my emails I've had to go up the other end of the lake.

Hitting the clip with braid can 'flatten' the Spomb so it doesn't always open, so at shorter range you may need to lob it.

16 hours ago, newmarket said:

Exactly same as what I use...Paired with Sonik Spod Reel, but swapped the Braid.

Screenshot_20220111_091136.thumb.jpg.8fe1cf0404b42406b76be984ecf20353.jpg

16 hours ago, framey said:

Tie a big overhand knot in the end of the line 

then tie a smaller one at the end of the 1st knot so you can easily remove the lead spod or spomb etc

Exactly what I've also done, big enough for a spombt to fit through the hole though...

https://www.carpfeed.com/fishing-advice/how-to/carp-hack-the-two-loop-trick

I used mine at the weekend to fire out the marker setup to bait round the float, I also used it to cast out the deeper to find a hole I've known about.

1014724183_Screenshot_20220509-125959_FishDeeper.thumb.jpg.8ad3d56f7e94729816cd858e14a66ee2.jpg

7.3ft hole, I wanted to fish in front of it on the flat spot...

I've used it for Leading About, Casting Feeper, Casting Spomb, Marker Finding....a good tool.

I usually use my fishing rod as I can’t be bothered to take another rod and reel I just carry an extra spool with braid on it

I am quite happy to Chuck a small spomb on that rods are only 2 3/4 

I have tried a midi spomb on the set up but it definitely overloads it.

a small spomb weights about the same as a 3 oz lead once loaded anyway

That is all very clever gentlemen, I thank you all very much I’ll have to have a practice over the next couple of days, my fig 8 knotting isn’t too clever 🤣

Nick , yours is very interesting as it can incorporate the marker float as well , I’ll be having a go at that soon , I don’t think I have what sounds like Sea/Pike swivels , I’ll have to have a butchers in me box & see what I have lying around 👍🏻

20220511_085014.jpg

20220511_085055.jpg

20220511_085205.jpg

On 09/05/2022 at 11:06, salokcinnodrog said:

When I'm leading or using the marker float, the marker goes on the oval ring, and lead on the spinlink.

When I spod or Spomb, I remove float and lead and clip the spinlink to the ball bearing swivel

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/05/2022 at 20:17, newmarket said:

Sadly Tim,  @newmarket you might be on the receiving end of this one, but on my Sonik Vader Spod/Marker Hybrid rod I'm now 3 popped rod rings where the liner has come out of the ring, from the butt ring up. Thank goodness I leave it set up so I could push them back into place, and give a dash of Araldite.

I do make sure that the rod is strapped up tightly, with the tip protected and now I carry it separately from my rod sling.

It looks like the ring frames are too soft and bend allowing the liners to pop.

46 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Sadly Tim,  @newmarket you might be on the receiving end of this one, but on my Sonik Vader Spod/Marker Hybrid rod I'm now 3 popped rod rings where the liner has come out of the ring, from the butt ring up. Thank goodness I leave it set up so I could push them back into place, and give a dash of Araldite.

I do make sure that the rod is strapped up tightly, with the tip protected and now I carry it separately from my rod sling.

Thanks for the heads up Nick I’ll be careful .

I doubt mine will get the same punishment yours does . I must admit the 50 butt ring is a bit of a pain to get into it’s rod sleeve . I tend to be careful with it in transit and keep it seperate from my other rods .

Damned if I’m going to shell out for a bigger rod sleeve though . Que sera sera and all that…

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Mine is always etup in my Rod bag...

On 09/05/2022 at 13:04, Highy said:

_F3A5081.thumb.jpeg.d05d3bbd91e270e24f37fcaf70594d4d.jpeg

I use the above for all uses, spudding, Marker, deeper.....

40 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Thanks for the heads up Nick I’ll be careful .

I doubt mine will get the same punishment yours does . I must admit the 50 butt ring is a bit of a pain to get into it’s rod sleeve . I tend to be careful with it in transit and keep it seperate from my other rods .

Damned if I’m going to shell out for a bigger rod sleeve though . Que sera sera and all that…

I use the Sktek 3 rod bag, think its a compact, 2 rods setup on helicopter either side and marker/spod setup in middle......

For illustration. 

sk-tek-3-rod-compact-sleeve-12ft-3.thumb.jpg.b182e19d149630c6c0900aebb0497f8f.jpg